Thursday, March 7, 2024

A Slow, Lazy Day

 I'm not sure what the really bright round thing is in the sky.  It seems to be putting out a little heat mid afternoon, then disappears into darkness and cold.  Could it possibly be the sun?  Maybe sunny California is going to turn sunny after all.  I don't even see rain in the forecast for the next ten days.  I think laying out and soaking up some rays might just be the ticket.

I can't believe how fast the days are going by.  Is it just me?  That usually happens when I'm busy ... and believe me, I am NOT busy!  


This week has just flown by ... like Jonathan trying to escape through the big picture window.  No worries, from takeoff to landing, it's a downward spiral straight to the floor.  Birds have to have muscles like we do.  Although he does get out to wander around, he doesn't flap his wings much, so they are not strong enough to hold him up.  

You've probably seen on TV ... babies flapping their wings like crazy.  Jonathan actually still does that as he hangs on for dear life with his claws.  Yes, occasionally he falls.  Sometimes I think he is as coordinated as me.  Spring must be in the air, because he's flapping and talking up a storm.  Disco Disco!


I've been locked in my sewing room since the next quilt requires I cut 8 pieces of fabric into 50 pieces each.  It's taking me some time, so there's no sewing going on yet.  

Suddenly I looked down and it was lunch time.  I knew exactly what I was having ... tuna salad on some of that Walmart French Bread.  By the way, here's some interesting facts ... Walmarts Cashiers make $15-19 an hour, but probably don't get that many hours because their annual wage runs $28,000. I haven't seen a cashier there in ages.  Managers got an $11,000 raise this year to $128,000.  Maybe I should apply!  

So they took all the wages and jobs away from the cashiers and gave it to management.  And they wonder why people are poor and cannot afford to feed their families.  Oh ... and they can get bonuses ... big bonuses apparently, but they don't want to talk about that.  Isn't this store employee owned??

Anyway, the sandwich was delicious ........


Here's my latest money saver.  Patsy knows Nancy loves peanut butter and chocolate, so she sent a recipe to me for sweet oat bars.  I actually buy these at the store for a whopping $6.50 ... six bars.  They are perfect for eating when I'm driving.  

How could I go wrong with peanut butter, honey, butter and oats?  I added some of Jon's peanuts.  Don't tell him!


When it came to the chocolate on top, I could only find half a bag each of peanut butter and chocolate chips.  Perfect!!  So here they are.  A little too much honey for me (can you imagine that?) but quite tasty!  I fool myself by saying the oats are good for you!!


The afternoon was full of Houston Rodeo, with some crazy wild bull riding.  It's a good thing these kids are young or every bone in their body would be broken.  No one ever said Rodeo was a safe sport.


After much knee scratching and barking, I took Mr. Cooper out for a walk.  This kid ... he's absolutely wild about walking around the neighborhood.  I can barely keep up with him he goes so fast.  At least here I don't have to carry him up and down the stairs.  I don't know what kind of trees these are, but they sure are beautiful right now!!


Along the way I met a neighbor Peggy.  Peggy is in to organic gardening.  Her entire yard is covered with huge piles of leaves and cut grass.  It looks like a gardener dumped all the trash from other yards into hers.  I'll have to get a picture for you.  

I was a little concerned when she first said hello because I didn't see her sitting on the ground amid the piles.  I thought maybe she fell.  Are you okay?  Oh yes she said ... I'm just doing my gardening.  Okaaaay.   She was digging in the dirt with a bucket.  I have to admit she didn't have any grass, but she didn't have any weeds either.  And she doesn't have to pay a gardener.  I may have to get to know Peggy better!!!

Back at the house, Cooper crashed and I reheated some ugly leftovers for dinner.  Truly, it's a good thing no one else has to be subjected to my cooking.

The sunset was rather weird on this night.  It's facing the wrong direction, which is quite unusual for us.  


This morning I will be frantically washing the tuxedo shirt that, even though was hanging in my closet, is too dirty to wear.  We have yet another initiation tonight.  Really, I can't believe we have so many people joining our club.  I mean we are very nice people and all, but because of what we do, we have one of the higher dues amounts.  Or maybe it's just the Bingo gals who want to get in the building FIRST to get their lucky chair.  No, I'm not kidding!!  See you tomorrow!!





18 comments:

  1. Bright round thing in the sky? We don't have one of those around here. Cold and gray around here for the next few days. Good days to stay inside and watch rodeo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!!! Seems like an overload of new 18-19 year olds this year and boy can they ride!!

      Delete
  2. Gardening is fun and get to know your neighbor for some tips.
    I grow a number of things in some planter beds and I moved some flowers in the ground and plant tomatoes and squash where the flowers were.
    Have a great day Nancy and that was a beautiful quilt you sent Jim and Barb. You do such a nice job with your quilts and it is a lot of work !
    Sue


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to plant a big garden every year until I got an RV. Now I'm gone too much. I hope to remedy that situation this year! Thank you for the kind words ... I do love it when a nice quilt comes my way.

      Delete
  3. Oatmeal bars look great!
    It's cold here this morning no rain for the next few days.
    Have a good day!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh Frances ... last time I looked at your area, you were getting hit hard with rain. I hope it lets up soon and we all get some sunshine.

      Delete
  4. Our WM has self-checkout & no cashiers until 8am. I feel like I should get a discount for doing their work, especially when there are "helpers" standing around watching you. Yeah, they don't have any full time anymore except for management. They forced out the old timers, some with 15-20+ years. No insurance/benefits for PT either. Most retail is now like that. More money for the stockholders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just so sad the world has come to this. Talking to the cashiers was the best part of grocery shopping.

      Delete
  5. Oatmeal bars should be good for you. Our sunrise was like your picture...clouds with pink peaking thru. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bars are really quite good, even if oatmeal isn't my favorite breakfast food.

      Delete
  6. How can you go wrong with peanut butter/honey/butter/chocolate/oatmeal all in one? That is sinful! Btw 8 squares x 50 = 400 x how many minutes? I say a couple of days job at least equals labour of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Marlene ... your math is correct. Sometimes it takes just as long to cut a quilt out as it does to sew it!

      Delete
  7. I'm with Marlene. My bars are sweet too but the dark chocolate doesn't look as good as the milk chocolate. Bill loves them, naturally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey .... peanut butter!!! You can't go wrong. The dark chocolate is probably better for you!

      Delete
  8. I have a lot of slow, lazy days spent doing nothing much at all, that peanut butter and chocolate slice looks nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to like those lazy days, though I do spend WAY too much time on the couch! LOL

      Delete
  9. OH MY!! Your sandwich AND bars look good !!
    Very dark here - rain off and on. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had beautiful puffy white clouds lately ... rather unusual for this area. The bars quickly became addictive!! LOL

      Delete