Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Quilting 101

Around here, Monday's are for quilting.  There are 9 or 10 ladies that meet at my neighbor's house for Quilting 101.  Shirley has won many ribbons for her spectacular quilts and is the proud owner of a long arm we all drool over.  If you have a problem, she can fix it.  If you can't decide what colors to use, she can fix it, so it's no surprise we all enjoy spending the day with her.

I started off by eating one of those fancy french pastry things.  It immediately gave me a stomach ache.  I kid you not, I don't think it even hit bottom before the spasms began.  I truly need to get back in the saddle and quit eating BAD things.
I've been working on this one for about six months now, maybe longer.  It's all hand sewed.  No worries, the squares really are not sewed crooked ... they are just stuck up on my wall.  There's a LOT more sewing involved before I even THINK about stitching them together.
I tend to lose interest quickly if they take too long, so I dropped that one and whipped up this sampler quilt.  I do love two or three of these squares and think I can make an entire quilt out of just those.  I'll sew the borders on this one today and it will be ready for quilting.
Lunch is always provided by one of the group, and this time the Other Nancy brought wonderful chicken pot pie soup, along with a delicious chocolate cake/mousse dessert.  Luckily my name doesn't come up but once in a great while.  I seem to make the same chicken salad every time.  It's safe and I don't have to COOK!

I did suddenly realize yesterday that I'm having company next month for a couple of days.  That's why I purchased the towels and a blanket for the spare bed.  I of course only have ONE towel in the house.  I doubt they would want to share.

Then it dawned on me.  OH NO!  I'll have to COOK for them!  I wonder if DoorDash or Uber will deliver this far out.  Now I'm in a panic to figure out something foolproof I can serve for dinner.  Let me know if you have any suggestions, keeping in mind my level of cooking skills.  At least I have a few weeks to test drive some recipes.

Oh ..... and maybe I'll go get those dishes since I'm having COMPANY!!!





9 comments:

  1. I've only done a couple of simple quilts because I tend to want them done quickly so I get your losing interest. :) Yours are beautiful though! Yep, I think you NEED to get those dishes! LOL..Too bad about the pastry, as they look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how those pastries never quite hit the mark. Not enough filling!!

      Delete
  2. Maybe try eating only Half a pastry for breakfast. That will save the stomach pains.
    Like the quilts.
    You surprised me yesterday when you mentioned company coming and you didn't get the dishes.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do actually have SOME dishes for company. LOL I have beautiful Mexican pottery.

      Delete
  3. This is good, and easy. Add water to the soy/vinegar mix so you're up to about 3/4 cup water, or maybe a little more. Run the garlic through a garlic press, so people don't get chunks. Cut the onion up into a small dice. I use skinless boneless chicken thighs, which I brown on the stove.

    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/instant-pot-chicken-adobo-3649636

    So far, I think this is the best thing I've made in the ip.

    Are you doing needle turning stitching on those little cacti and the other doo-dahs? That looks incredibly time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and don't reduce it for 20 minutes at the end, 5 or 6 minutes is fine.

      Delete
    2. I'll make it Allison!! Thank you so much!!! Yes those are all needle turned. VERY time consuming!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry the pastry made you sick. That's a bummer. Someone told me that Vail has a great pizza parlor. Also a Safeway which I'm sure has a wonderful selection of foods in the Deli section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes on both accounts. The Arizona Pizza Company has very good pizza and Safeway has a soup and salad bar. That's a good idea!!

      Delete