Thursday, January 5, 2023

Waterfalls From Heaven

Now THAT was a rain storm!!  For the last 20 years, we haven't gotten much rain at all in December and January.  It's been pretty dry like the desert this valley used to be.  At this point however, we have 9 inches of rain in this tiny burg and that was before last night's big downpour.

It sounded like someone was pouring a gigantic pitcher of water on the house.  None of my gutters could handle that amount of water and they were overflowing waterfalls around the entire house.  Luckily I'm in very sandy soil that takes it up fairly fast, so there is no flooding.  Not so much for other parts of town.

Thirty minutes after getting up, the clouds were gone and the moon shining brightly with even a star or three visible in the sky.  


I chugged my coffee since I had an early morning hair appointment.  Although it should have taken an hour or so, I didn't get out the door until three hours later.  My hairdresser not only lives fairly close, but we are good friends.  We spent the hours catching up on all the latest news and how to get a cheap face lift.  

Back home, I had to get a little creative when it came to lunch.  All I could find were bird biscuits, cheese, some old tater tots and two eggs.  The tator tots won out.  Today is the final grocery shopping day, so I'll pick up something to tide me over until I leave.  

I spent some time staring at maps, since part of this route will be new to me.  One of our Golden Spike Group actually lives in Apple Valley, very near to where I'm staying.  This gentleman was/is a computer programming guru for fighter jets and has driven a Class A for many years.  The Chance family know of whom I speak.

We talked as I wrote down copious notes, then I outlined my route.  About three hours later, his daughter called me back with a different way to go.  Apparently they pull a fifth wheel too.  More copious notes ensued.  I absolutely LOVE how RV people are so willing to help you out.  They even invited me to stop at their house on the way south.  As a single gal, I can never have too many friends.

After all the Bingo shenanigans, and only getting four hours sleep, I admit I fell asleep on the couch.  How boring is that?  At long last I got my act together and whipped up a batch of peanut butter cookies.  These beauties will keep me awake and wired on sugar for the trip over the mountains.


I have a new to-do list today ... fuel up the Jeep (I hate to leave the tank empty) ... turn on the fridge, test the hot water heater (my old rig had an instant on system, no water heater tank), fuel up the truck (it's going to be an expensive day!!), check Accuweather 29 times (Mr. Chance's recommendation which seems to be pretty darn accurate) and BREATHE.  

Time is getting short-er!!!


6 comments:

  1. Boy, Saturday is looking like a primo travel day! Good luck, be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to all the prayers!!! Still nervous, but very happy about the weather.

      Delete
  2. Your cookies look yummy! You are correct, it does sound like an expensive day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth it. I get to go visit friends in the desert.

      Delete
  3. It’s only money. Lol.
    I have no doubt it will be smooth sailing for you on your journey. Breathe, let the death grip on the wheel loosen often, and just enjoy the view. Keep it between the lines and the kids will love ya!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I see you know about the death grip!!! Slow and steady is my new mantra!

      Delete