Sunday, January 15, 2023

LAST DAY CELEBRATION!

I woke up this morning to some drunk guys across the street screaming bloody murder.  They even outshone the generator.  Here's my last look towards the vendor building and jail.  Oh yes ... Indio built a jail on the fairgrounds property so the prisoners could see what they were missing. 


Here's our minimal crew ... although six are actually missing from the picture.  So I've been doing this ice cream gig for I think 10 years.  Here's the problem.  They had no idea just how many people would show up, and they guessed high.  I have to order ice cream two months in advance, so there's only their guesstimate to go by.

Over the last two years, MANY people who used to work the different areas, have sold their RV's and quit.  That means out of maybe 30 captains, only 10 or so still know their actual job.  Everyone else doesn't have any idea what their job really is.


The guy over me ... even though I told him I needed TWO freezers, thought I didn't know what I was talking about and only got one for both the ice AND the ice cream.  To make it worse, the one he got didn't go down to zero degrees.  His solution was to put some ice cream in the small fridges (with small freezers) in one building.  

Someone came along and decided to put ten boxes in the one that didn't work at all.  I had to toss those out.  When I discovered the freezer wasn't keeping the rest cold, I had to run for dry ice.  By yesterday, all that had melted too.  We found maybe five more boxes that had to be thrown away.

Add to that the problem of locking up the ice cream.  I have locks just for that purpose.  But NO ... you can't lock it up because they need the ice from the freezer.  You already know what happened ... when I went to load up the golf cart to deliver ice cream, someone had stolen 8 boxes from the unlocked freezers.  

In the end, we had enough ice cream, only because it was overcast and cold so fewer people showed up.  The good news is I'm resigning too.  This is the last year our group will be coming to this rally.  Yes, the lovely fairgrounds neighbors are still screaming at 4:00 am.  

So ..... I'm celebrating!!  How?  It was National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day.  That meant finding a nice deli to pig out.  This one not only had a deli but a food truck too.


Here it is in all it's glory ... hot pastrami with jalapeño chips ... and boy were they HOT!!  It was most delicious, but I almost had a heart attack when they told me it was $18 and change.  YIKES!!!  


I didn't know I needed to mortgage my house to buy a sandwich.  I'm hoping the second half I will eat today will be just as tasty.  We sat outside in the freezing rain to watch the 49er football game on an outside TV before I called it a day.

And so the rally comes to an end.  A rainy one.  Today they say the winds will be 20 mph with 50 mph gusts.  I'm not seeing it yet ... and I hope to be out of here by 8:00 and maybe miss it.  It's just a couple hours drive to Quartzsite where I will park for the next week.  

I can't wait to do absolutely NOTHING for the next couple of days.  Cooper and I need a rest!!


17 comments:

  1. That is way too many confused people, I think getting out is wise. Of course you could move up the ladder to a more supervisory roll to make things go smoother. Of course this is similar to bingo, just on a bigger scale. Time to move and have some fun!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All true Deb. BUT our club doesn't want to do this rally any more, for obvious reasons. It cost us $500 each, plus another $400 for parking (paid for by our club). It's all just TOO expensive.

      Delete
  2. Glad that headache is over for you, and over for good! Are you headed to "Q" now?? We awoke to a 38 degree morning after having a 5 am Tornado Warning just two days ago (there was no Tornado, yes, storm went through but after all those Tornadoes in the South they were not taking chances when they saw what looked like a possible twist in the radar)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would survive tornado warnings.

      Delete
  3. We are in Q with the SKP chapter 21 on polmosa rd at MM3. Weather will be in high 50s/low 60s with overcast skies the next day or two. Where will you be hanging out/living while in Q. Where we are is dry-camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at an RV park. My plan is to go around visiting when I get organized. Hope to catch up with you.

      Delete
  4. Maybe stress is keeping you so healthy and young! We will be watching for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be ... I've sure been active the last couple of weeks!! Nah ... it's the doggie ball yoga!!

      Delete
  5. Glad you went out with a bang, Nancy. Hope you still like ice cream after that fiasco. Ten years is enough for anyone. Enjoy Quartzsite and I hope the weather gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ice cream made it all worth it!! I always buy a box and bring it home!

      Delete
  6. There's always someone new that think they know how to do things better but won't admit when it's a flop.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the "Q".

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessirree ... and you have experience in that cuz I've read your blog! LOL

      Delete
  7. Yay. You are getting closer to Quartzsite, Yuma and Wellton !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your "do nothing days"!!!!!

    I had no idea there was such a thing as "National Hot Pastrami Sandwich Day". Are there more of these types of days???? Please share.

    It would have been nice if the guy above you would have taken a moment to confirm what you told him you needed before he decided you did not know what you were talking about. These are the kind of people that make life not fun when you are trying to get things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to do NOTHING!! LOL He confirmed it, he just didn't follow through.

      Delete