Sunday, January 1, 2023

HAPPY 2023!!!

 HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!


Hip Hip Hurray!!!  I survived another year.  Not the best one I've ever had, so I'm hoping this new year brings more adventures.  

It seemed like the day went by slower for some reason.  Most likely because I was up an hour earlier than normal.  When the pup wants to go, the pup wants to go!!  Just so you know Jonathan is not left out, every morning when I walk by his cage, he charges at me, biting the bars.  

Parrots are like cats.  They are usually up most of the night, sitting in trees trying not to get eaten by the nocturnal critters.  They remain very still and quiet in that endeavor.  Once the sun comes up, they are ready to eat, then sleep most all day long.  

Come sundown, they get very talkative for about 30 minutes while they eat again, then remain quiet as a mouse ... until I walk by.  A sharp bite will deter anything from getting too close.  It doesn't help that his eyesight is failing.  I'm pretty sure he cannot see out of his right eye, so watch where you put your fingers.  By the way, Jonathan just turned 48 years old.

About the time I was heading for the Refuge, the rains came down.  Still, it wasn't too bad until I got to the front gate where it was pouring ... and flooding the road ... AND the gate was closed.  


So much for bird pictures, but at least I didn't get stuck.  I got back just in time to hear the roar of another downpour.  I'm almost afraid to go check the rig this morning.  I've heard so many horror stories of RV's leaking from too much rain over several days.  

I admit I walked around the inside of the house this morning with a flashlight, looking for signs of water in every room.  Thank goodness I didn't find anything and I don't hear any telltale drips.  It's probably been 20 years or more since we got this much rain, and I seem to be at the very edge of the storm.


SO .... with absolutely nothing to do on New Year's Eve, I watched a little college football.  It's definitely not my thing, but I have to admit Michigan and TCU played a crazy game in the Fiesta Bowl.  Total points ... an amazing 96.  TCU won 51-45.  I think that's a record for the most points.

It was rather quiet and uneventful after the game.  THANK GOODNESS!  I truly wasn't up for loud neighbors, and in fact, was thankful it was still raining pretty hard.  That meant those parties would be INSIDE and not sound like they were on my patio!  

I admit, I didn't even make 9:00.  Cooper crashed around 8, except for when SOMEONE woke him up because the flash was set to ON.  I got a nasty growl for that one.  I snoozed for about 30 minutes before calling it a night.

That is until 11:53 when the fireworks began.  I could probably live with that, except for the guns being fired off.  I haven't figured out where they are, but if I could, I would be reporting them.   I quit counting at five clips of an automatic handgun ... or maybe it was five guns, followed up by a machine gun.  Sure makes you wonder where all those bullets are going.  

That went on for about 30 minutes before it stopped.  Then again at 2:35 am there was one of the loudest booms I've ever heard.  It sounded like dynamite and shook my windows.  I know they do it because the next morning they are "stars" on Facebook.  


And so another year has been ushered in while I keep a close eye on the weather.  I was ecstatic when I saw this!!!!!


Which turned back into this by this morning.  I'm sure it would not be a problem if I left at say noon, but it's a 6 hour drive, meaning I'd get to Indio after dark.  Leaving one day early causes more problems, but I may have to do that.  


So here's my tip of the day, which we all know to be true.  Believing it and DOING it are two completely different things however.


Here's to another year ... may you and your families be blessed with wonderful adventures and happy times together!!!

I'll be on the couch watching more football today, only because the Rose Parade is not scheduled until tomorrow!!!  Happy 2023!!!






10 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! So glad to hear that you have no leaks. I watched the TCU/Michigan game, I like to see the underdog win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With those college games, I never know who the underdog is since I don't keep up. They do seem to play much better than in my day.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Patsy!! I'm anxious to be heading your way.

      Delete
  3. For some reason when you said you were leaving Sunday you meant today...another week to prepare and worry! Heck, I told Marcia I was going to Sams Club today...until I started to wonder if they would be open. They are not, thank goodness I found out before I drove down there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing you called. I don't think much was open here at all. Yessirree ... just a few more days.

      Delete
  4. December 2005 the weir was opened to relieve the Sacramento River of water. I wanted to go to Yuma between Christmas and New Years. The weather info kept changing. We finally decided to stay home. So 17 years ago was a big rain time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's been about that long since we had flooding here. Not at my house thank goodness. Sacramento seems to be in trouble right now!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year to you, Cooper and Johnathan! I am looking at your weather reports and I do not blame you about worrying about driving in wet possibly frozen stuff. Snow is one thing but ice is not fun in a vehicle let alone pulling a 5th wheel. I will be praying and keeping my fingers crossed you have a decent weather window to drive in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb!! I appreciate all the help I can get. The forecast changes hourly! LOL

      Delete