Saturday, January 21, 2023

A Cold Windy Day

 It was a dark stormy night ... well it was dark anyway.  And COLD!!  Amazingly, it was a warm 55 degrees when I first went out with Cooper at 4:30.  An hour later it was a freezing below-40-degrees, but in spite of my frozen nose, I kept on walking.


Across from this housing development (a very small one) there are four rigs parked on what they tell me is BLM land.  It's a perfect spot for me to hang out when I'm driving through, so I was determined to find out just HOW they got there.  I'm sure they didn't cross that huge dip.


Along the way I spotted this guy that I really think I need.  It would look great in my Vail back yard, right?  The only problem is just WHERE I would put it while getting there.


Just as I got back, Patsy called and said "want to go for a walk"?  Of course, but little did I know just how far we were going.  It was a tad bit warmer, as was I by the time we reached Bill's flying field.  I'm sure it was a six mile hike by the way I felt, but turns out it was not THAT far.  

We snuck up on Bill ... he didn't realize he had an audience.


BOO!!!  He finally heard Patsy's voice as we stood and watched the flying antics.  Wow ... those guys can make those planes do crazy things and NOT crash!!


Bill brought his plane in and I got a flying lesson.  No, I did NOT fly it.  Are you kidding?  It would crash in the first 3 seconds.  A few minutes later we headed back to the RV park, a little slower than before.  By the time I got back, I had 4.09 miles under my belt for the morning.  


Not one to sit around for any length of time, I headed off to the Dollar Store again to buy that second rug, which thank goodness was still there.  I waved at the camel as I pulled in to the lot.  


It's amazing just how much stuff they have in that store.  I should have hit the grocery store, but frozen tamales will have to do.  Cooper loves his new rugs ... no more slipping and sliding.


On the way back, I drove down to the end of the road looking for the access point to those four rigs.  I found it!  A great spot to hang out for the night when I don't need hookups ... and it's FREE!!

Back at the rig, I forgot to mention yesterday that it was National Popcorn Day.  What better than CARMEL popcorn!!  I still have half a bag left over from Indio.


The wind came up in the afternoon, along with some pretty cold weather, so I stayed inside.  Wind is not my friend.  My rig was rocking and rolling on and off all afternoon since I'm not parked next to someone to block the gusts.

This morning we are off VERY early to the Big Tent in 32 degree weather.  I'm wearing two shirts, my ski parka and my heaviest pair of boots.  The early bird gets the worm and the parking spot close to the tent.  I'm sure I'll find some goodies I can't live without!!  Tune in tomorrow to see what we find.



10 comments:

  1. Haha. I agree with Deb. We've never been on opening day, but even later in the week was enough for us. We woke up to 12 degrees here with a high of 35. brr..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shirley ... I'd have to have a heater strapped to my back!

      Delete
  2. Ah, the Big Tent with all it's craziness. Hope you find something you can't live without. Lord knows there's a ton of stuff you can live without!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... mostly I can live without! Except those free pretzels were YUMMY!!

      Delete
  3. Of course the "Knight" would need to be in Arizona, it wouldn't last a week in California before it was stolen and sold for scrap metal in order to furnish more drugs for the druggie that stole it!

    We have wood laminate floors here at the condo, and poor Indy will get excited to go outside or bye-bye that her feet and legs move and move and she can't go an inch as the floor won't give her traction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got Coopers rig. We need to keep our pooches happy. Clemson needed dogs, Gibbs doesn't - yet.
    Love the big tent on opening day, just because.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gibbs has traction like none I've seen! LOL
      I don't think I've been there opening day before. It was a real treat!!

      Delete