Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Do You Wanna Play Some FOOTBALL?

 Oh look .... rain!  More and more rain.  I took a couple of minutes to check the National Weather Forecast for our area.  I should have just eaten an entire carton of ice cream.  There is a storm in Hawaii coming this way called a $om$ cyclone (it rhymes with com).  Type it and you end up in Google Jail.  Yessiree, just like Facebook Jail.  

Why in the world would you give a phenomena a name like that?  Anyway, it's coming this way, as shown by all the pretty colors on their website, THIS weekend.  Lucky for me (not so much for these folks) it's going to hit lower Canada, Washington, Oregon and Northern to Central California.  If I'm really really lucky, I may slip out the back door just in time.


SO ... while trying to keep my mind occupied, I watched the Rose Parade.  In many cases there are over 100,000 flowers on a float.  When you look at them, remember all the frozen fingers that cut the stems.  Since the Elks Lodge has not had a float in awhile, I wanted to get a picture of it.  


For some reason I didn't feel it was as spectacular as previous years, but money is a problem, as is shipping millions of flowers around the world.  This was the most fabulous!!!  All of those pictures of people along the side are made with seeds and flowers.  Absolutely everything must be covered.  Glue comes in 5 gallon buckets and I think it's Elmers!!

If you think the floats look familiar, they try to use the same elements year after year, just change it up a bit to look different.  That way they don't have to pay for a build from the bottom up every year.


A birds eye view of the famous corner, less than 90 degrees, was driven by moi every day to get to the barn where I volunteered.  This is where all the floats get stuck because they are too long to make the turn.  


I only took this picture because this is us old folks.  Oh yeah ... a float about really old people hiking, kayaking, rock climbing (though no one was climbing) and a hang glider ... who WAS suspended above the rocks.  They forgot the lounge chair in the sun.


It ended very abruptly, which I took as a hint to get my butt in gear.  I hauled the really heavy air compressor out to the rig and aired up all the tires.  I hate air compressors ... they make so much noise, I'm always waiting for them to blow up.  

Then I hauled it BACK to the garage and did the Jeep and truck.  I'm all good on that note.  More packing ensued, so I now think I'm down to food, cameras and make-me-look-beautiful stuff.  Is that not a joke?  They tell you to spend all that money on something to make you beautiful and it doesn't work all that great!

Then it was on to football while Cooper slept next to me.  I watched Penn State beat Utah at the Rose Bowl, only because it was the Rose Bowl.  Try as they might, Utah just couldn't seem to catch the ball.


And then it was the Buffalo Bills versus the Cincinnati Bengals.  Not a game I would watch at all, but I was hoping to stay OFF my phone scanning the weather forecasts.  It worked for awhile.  This is 24 year old Damar Hamlin, a Bills player who after making a tackle in the beginning of the first quarter, got up and immediately fell over backwards.  I instantly thought stroke or heart attack.  

The team trainers came out and in a few seconds, called in the EMT's.  They administered CPR for almost ten minutes before loading him up into the ambulance and heading to the trauma center.  It appears he had a massive heart attack ... at 24 years of age.


The players were devastated ... and they actually told them they had 5 minutes to return to the field.  Are you kidding me?  In a surprising move ... the entire team and all the coaches knelt on the field and said a prayer for Damar.  Good for them!!!  

In the end, the coaches agreed to head to the locker rooms where the heads of the NFL came to their senses and suspended the game.  It will be played at a later date.  Damar is in critical condition at this point.  Prayers for this boy and his family.

I'm not going to look at the weather .... I'm not going to look at the weather .... it's now looking good for Friday, Saturday and Sunday ... maybe.  Two hours from now it will change.

It is weird however, if you look at the hourly weather on each day, it shows only rain.  If you look at the WEEK weather, it shows snow.  Weather guessers are guessing I guess.

So today I'll check the oil and put water in the rig.  It looks like our temps will stay above 40 all week, so I'll get her filled up.  Unfortunately I have to go mostly loaded because there is no water in Indio where I 
will be for a week.

AND IT'S BINGO TIME!!!!!  At least I won't be on my phone.




18 comments:

  1. I have to tell ya, I thought the old people float was a food float with either pancakes or sandwiches. Lol.
    Good for you to be moving forward a few chores at a time. Is there no where to fill with water after the mountain pass?
    Sad regarding the young football player, it’s a sobering event to witness.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No place to get water that I know of Deb. The place I'm staying has suspect water. I'm only taking 40 out of 60 gallons so it shouldn't be too bad.

      Delete
  2. I have been following your blog for awhile ,Nancy, and i have to say how much i enjoy your writing and particularly the subjects you chose/are choosing. Keep that going. You have a way with words like Al has with pictures. There’s a glimmer of humor in most everything you write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emjay!!! I appreciate the kind words. At my age I have to appreciate the funny things in life ... and there are so many!!

      Delete
  3. Sorry. That was Emjay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saturday is looking better and better....

    Can't believe they won't let you publish the word 'bomb'. I have heard "Bomb Cyclone" for many years now.

    Funny that the NFL is now denying that they gave the "5 minute" warning. Tragic event, hope the outcome is good for Hamlin AND perhaps people will step back and look at the realization that SO MANY athletes have died that it has to boil down to the "jab".

    Now let's see if Google lets this comment go through....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing!!! Yessirree that's the word. I actually just got a message about that word I put in my blog over a year ago. Not sure if they will care about comments!!

      Delete
  5. They didn’t start using that word until just a few years ago somebody with a less brilliant mind why don’t they just called it what it really is a Nor Wester or nor’easter thats basically what it is… they don’t call them Cyclone in Hawaii 🌪 they’re called hurricanes… cyclones are only in the Asian peninsulas…
    You’re probably going to get fuel in Bakersfield or Palm Springs why not fill up water at those locations why drag California’s freshwater resources all the way over there At 7 pounds a gallon think of your fuel mileage.. Do you want to push 7 pounds a gallon up hill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the cyclone thing either, especially when they said they call it that, but it's really NOT that. I won't have to fuel up until I get to Quartzsite. I'm happy to say I have a 50 gallon fuel tank in my truck.

      Delete
  6. I hope the weather holds for you so you have a good travel day.
    Yes, i agree with the above comments about that extra water weight but i don't know where you could easily get it on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I wasn't going to be around people, I wouldn't care about the water, but SOME of them insist I take a shower! LOL

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Start over. Hope the weather is good when you leave and you don't have to float south. Glad someone told me the word or I would never gave figured it out. I tried every bad word I know and couldn't come up with it. Have fun with Bingo tonight.

      Delete
    2. I used to say "it's the b0mB" all the time ... now they slap your wrist!

      Delete
  8. I am looking forward to the "Bingo" Blog....😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never a dull moment at Bingo, and this night was no exception.

      Delete
  9. It's amazing all the things that you do by yourself. I wish you a safe trip. I also look forward to Bingo news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say Loree, it's not my choice to be doing things by myself ... but it is what it is. I just keeping on trying!!

      Delete