Wednesday, November 9, 2022

The Blood Moon Eclipse

 It's raining ... it's pouring ... Georgie is snoring.  We sang that a lot when I was a kid, laying outside on our old army cots with just a thin sleeping bag.  There would be no sleeping out here however, since it rained most of the night, then another six hours worth yesterday.  We haven't seen anything like that in many moons.


Speaking of moons ... it was the blood moon eclipse on 11/8, but happening at something like one am.  That's WAY too late for me to be up.  At night my spirit animal is a chicken and we go to bed early.  Lucky for me it was still raining, so there was no way I was going to see anything.  This is an image I took during the last blood moon.  Pretty cool to see it so orange.


Before that, I was up in southern Washington at an RV park when this happened.  I had purchased a few of those special glasses so I wouldn't go blind, and passed them out.  About six of us oohed and ahhed over the beautiful moon.  It took me about six hours to put this picture together.  


Here is what it looked like this time.  Not my picture.  Photographers in California were like let's go to the High Sierras so we can see it.  Yeah, it was snowing there.  


The main problem with a blood moon, or ANY full moon for that matter ... even just a HALF moon ... is it affects the masses.  The peasants pull out their pitchforks, swords, burning torches, switchblades and anything else they can wave at you.

It started out bad when both of my counting gals did not show up.  I drug one of the Knights kicking and screaming to the chair beside me.  Then I had a thought ... the ER (the lodge president) wanted to learn the cash register.  Nothing like throwing her to the wolves.  

After two minutes of learning the names, I had her counting up a storm.  She didn't exactly call them right, but it was close enough.  It was the number I needed.  We ran through 140 peasants in short order.  That's a lie ... it took us well over two hours with me working the keys like a mad woman.


HOWEVER ... the Blood Moon and the frozen turkeys brought out everyone's bad side.  They couldn't decide what they wanted and didn't count right when they did.  It's the old "just claim they stuck together" trick that never works.

Cranky was the word of the night as a couple of ladies were unhappy with the new counter.  Little did they know they were working with a new rabid raccoon.  It happens to everyone who works the table.  After a couple of years, you just laugh about it.  The ER has one year and 364 more days of Bingo to get there. 

There was a constant stream of "you didn't give me all my cards" to "where's my red ticket" (look in your pocket ... OH ... there it is" ALL NIGHT LONG.  If it's on your receipt (which they all were) it means they were counted, the number called out loud to me so you heard it, they were placed in your stack and handed to you.  You either dropped them, or more likely, set your cards down and turned your back.  NEVER turn your back.  Things magically disappear.

That always makes for BLOOD MOON MADNESS!!!  Oh and the turkeys.  Every Thanksgiving we give away frozen turkeys to ten lucky winners who hold the magic red ticket.  It surprises me how they can spend $75 for bingo, but not $20 for a turkey.   

Anyway, we just rolled our eyes and counted the donations, this time going to the local Library who is setting up an after-school teen center for kids with working parents.  

Finally the night was over as I extracted a promise from the ER that she would not run screaming off into the night ... that she would be back next week.  I'm not holding my breath!!

More rain expected all day ... the perfect excuse to hang out on the couch with Cooper.


16 comments:

  1. I seriously look forward to the Bingo Post it is always so much fun to read. Must be a regional thing...we always sang, Its raining...its pouring...the old man is snoring...up our way...lol
    Enjoy your Cooper time on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny little song ... that and 99 bottles of beer on the wall. LOL

      Delete
    2. Forgot about that one and it was a favorite on the fan bus coming home from a game...lol
      Tom and Deb

      Delete
  2. I sang the same song as Deb in my youth. We had a very bright sky last night when i went to bed, it wasn't even pink. 😉
    I'm glad the ER 'enjoyed ' the experience enough to promise a return!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same song, we just changed the one word. I do hope the ER comes back!!

      Delete
  3. Knew about the moon thing, but didn't even attempt to look at it. Now we are just waiting for the 50-60 mph winds which should arrive tomorrow...2nd Tsunami to hit Florida this week (ok, tried to keep it non-political, but hey, what a huge 'Tsunami' win for our Governor...too bad it did not carry across other parts of the country.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw another storm front head your way. Looks like a hurricane to me. Florida is really getting hit! Congrats to DeSantis!!!

      Delete
  4. Same as Patsy and Deb..haha. Bingo stories are hilarious! Hey Dave, Congratulations! Looks like we may be a win here in NV also! Sorry, Nancy! Your stuck w another 4 years in CA and now what happens to AZ?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always lose ... never have a chance with all the illegals voting now. Sadly, the same goes for Arizona.

      Delete
  5. Truly your time at the Magic Kingdom is a learning experience but I must say I’m not sure you are learning as quickly as the others. They seem to know enough not to get caught working there too often and push it off to someone else. Mostly you. Lol.
    I always enjoy the levity of these posts. Thanks for sharing!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably true, but it's the Elks biggest money maker for charity. 100% goes to good causes. Mostly people join for the great meals and cheap drinks.

      Delete
  6. Another disappointing Bingo post. I am still waiting for the post where you say you punched someone in the nose or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Jim ... I was probably more likely to do that when I first started. Now I just shine them on while laying down the law. Guess I've mellowed in my old age.

      Delete
  7. "The old man is snoring " was also our version. But growing up in Yuma we didn't get to sing it very often.

    ReplyDelete