Friday, November 25, 2022

EAT HAM ... OR HAM-BURGER!

 What a GREAT day Thanksgiving was in California.  Gorgeous warm sunshine covered my house all day long.  Too bad the warm doesn't last longer at night.  I'm a light sleeper ... and when I say light, I mean I wake up from hearing Cooper breathing.  So it's either be awake from the heaters roaring or be awake from freezing, my choice.  It didn't help that someone at my neighbor's house decided to sing at the top of his lungs around 2 am.  What are you doing over there??

Needless to say, I'm a little groggy this morning, still hung over from that turkey soup.  It felt pretty much like food poisoning.  The turkey?  The leftover corn?  Who knows, but come Christmas, I'm taking this guys advice!!


It's hard to find something to eat when you're hungry but you don't want to do ANYTHING to make your stomach worse.  I tried a few crackers, then found those frozen hamburgers recommended by friends Patsy and Bill.  Well let's just try THIS!  What could be better than a barbecue bacon cheeseburger?

I quickly fried up some bacon in my air fryer.  LOVE that kitchen appliance for bacon!  Then I drug out the barbecue from the garage, heated it up and slapped on my burger.  There's an art to cooking frozen meat and I do NOT have it down.

When I went back out to check it, it was a huge ball.  Never poke the ball!!  Grease went flying everywhere, which of course brought flames up to my eyebrows!  Luckily I didn't catch on fire.  I layered on the cheese and even grilled the bun.  Add to that some Pringles (an impulse buy at the checkout stand) and Thanksgiving dinner was served.  I only ate half of it, not wanting to overdo my celebration, but it was GOOD!!!!  The second half was dinner.  Thank you Patsy and Bill for the recommendation about 6 months ago.


I'm very thankful there were no ill effects from eating.  After plunking down on the couch to watch football for awhile, only since they are no longer playing their kneeling trick, I decided to walk around outside and check out the painters work.  

Not a great picture, but this is the BEFORE.  The paint was almost completely worn off this side from the effects of mostly the sun.  

Here it is now ... the hardest part of the whole project to paint.  AND they fixed the gutter along with some wood rot on the left hand side.


This was the garage BEFORE picture.  The garage door molding was brittle and breaking off, not helped by the three times I hit it with my truck mirror.  They don't make parking spaces or garage doors for trucks!


Much better, yes??  It's nice to know I don't have to even think about gutters, peeling paint or rotting wood every time I come and go.  What a relief, even if it is costing a chunk.  I'll report on that part when it's done.


I didn't have a dog in the football fight, so it didn't matter who won, although I was surprised to see the Vikings beat the Patriots.  I am however, all about the fashion!  I thought the Detroit Lions were playing in their onesie underwear, or maybe their sweats.  Gosh guys, if you are going to wear gray, at least wear a colored pair of pants.  

And so ended the day with Cooper jumping up to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  I don't know what got in to him ... he NEVER does this!!


I hope you had a wonderful day ... remember EAT HAM for Christmas and don't spend all your money since it's BLACK FRIDAY!!  I have to admit, some of those 70% off fabric ads are tweaking my little brain!!  Maybe some leftover Halloween candy will help allay the urges!!


12 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving. Glad it was a sunshine filled day. The burger looks yummy. The painting looks very nice, nice to have things taken care of. I agree about parking the truck, too skinny, not made to fit anything bigger than a shoe box.lol

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. A half a cheeseburger! I eat two fat greasy ones. The house is growing in value each day. Looks great. Should be here today. Heading to Silly Al's Pizza for lunch/dinner today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh I do love Silly Al's pizza! Have a GREAT time and a slice for me!!

      Delete
  3. Ok, here is the secret to cooking frozen meat...DON'T! That is why they made a defrost cycle with your microwave. Or take the meat, this time it was a burger, in a baggie, seal REAL GOOD, and put in the sink with a slight stream of cold water running on it (don't let it soak in water, must be stream, must be cold because warm or hot water will start the cooking process). In reality, I have HAD to cook frozen meat in the restaurant (after I kicked someone's butt for not pulling enough meat out of the freezer), and it can be done, but it never cooks like a perfectly thawed piece of meat, which means it has ice crystals in the meat still, but the meat is pliable. The juice is in those crystals, and you can cook up a medium rare steak so easy that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea. Thanks Dave ... next time I'll thaw it a lot more!!

      Delete
  4. Your burger looks great, told us! You're welcome! Bill often cooks our burgers from 1/2 to 3/4 frozen only because ice not taken them out soon enough. I only do that so they cook faster.
    The house looks wonderful. Huge improvement and peace of mind for you.
    Ditto to Doug's comment. You should be here for Silly Als!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to miss the laughs!! Maybe we can go again in January!!

      Delete
  5. Ah, Silly Al's! Have had many great group dinners there. Sorry you missed yours.

    The trick to cooking frozen hamburgers is low and slow so they thaw while cooking. But, I like mine with some pink left in them so this method doesn't work as well if you like them well done. To me, you might as well eat a hockey puck as a well done burger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like a little pink inside ... hockey pucks aren't near as good. Low and slow ... I'll remember that.

      Delete
    2. This implies you've eating a hockey puck, or at least tried to. :O)
      Bobseyes.net

      Delete
  6. They are doing a GREAT job ... better than I would I think.

    ReplyDelete