Monday, November 14, 2022

A Sweet Day!

 Thank you all so much for the kind words about the award.  I'm very happy someone noticed the hours I put in.  It's something people look to receive and I didn't even know I was on the list.  That makes it all the more sweet, and I am very thankful to receive it.  I guess now I can't complain about Bingo night any more.

On the other hand, I CAN complain about the price of food.  Good grief ... everything you see here was $$$$$.  Eggs $5.99. Cheese $7.00 (#%$$&!)  Butter $4.69.  Hamburger buns $4.69.  And those are the SALE prices!!  I guess there won't be much baking going on around here after all.

I suppose I shouldn't complain ... it certainly makes it easier to diet and make that food last days longer.


It's a freezing 34 degrees on the patio this morning.  Cooper can't "go" fast enough for me.  I'm chilled to the bone by the time we get back inside.  Time to drag out my winter ski jackets I guess.  It was always so nice to have an Indian summer that lasted until the end of November.  It's interesting to note that our weather is almost exactly the same as it is in Arizona.  

I put up a few more simple decorations in the family room where I spend all my time and plunked a nice red wreath on the front door.  Not exactly Thanksgiving looking I guess.  Nor are the red things on top of the vases next to the fireplace.  They are Polynesian bird feather rattles they use in their dances, found on my travels across the ocean.  The center that you can't see is yellow feathers.  Since I can't dance, at least I used them for something!


Having gone to the store and wiped out half my food budget, I began one of my favorite Christmas cooking recipes.  There's no cooking, which is why it's my favorite.  Pop the corn, dump in pretzels along with some red and green M&M's.  You have to do a little pretending here since those yummy morsels of chocolate only come in multi-colors.  Apparently the candy manufacturers have given up on holiday colors this year.

Then comes the hard part.  Microwave a very expensive package of white chocolate bits until they are melted and pour over the goodies which should be in a very large bowl.  Why you ask?  Because that's when the stirring begins.  It flies all over the kitchen if you aren't careful.  Once mixed, pour it on a sheet pan and place it in the fridge.

It quickly becomes the instant prescription to cure that sugar craving sweet tooth.  Oh what a SWEET day!!  It never lasts long around here, so I boxed it up quickly to give away (most of it anyway) at Bingo.  Oh ... and it's called Chris-Moose Crunch.  


Y'all know I don't cook that much any more, and if I do, I eat it for the next four days, 3 meals a day.  One large potato can go a long way.  Cheap eats!!  Sort of anyway.  I've been craving a real meal for some time, so I whipped up scalloped potatoes in two small casseroles.  These dishes are one of the best things I bought years ago.  I eat one and the other goes in the freezer.  


When pork chops are on sale, I buy the humongous package and divide them up.  Here's the last of the package.  Gosh .... I'm actually having a REAL dinner here!  A rare occasion indeed.


Since the cold slows me down so much, I spent the rest of the day working on quilts.  This one is coming along.  It's quite striking actually ... with only 13 more square to make before adding pieces in between.  Just looking at that big pile of pieces is daunting.  It makes me want to sit on the couch.


But then I have to look at the quilt piled on the armrest which still needs binding sewed on.  At long last this one is complete.  Only TWO more to go!!  SWEET!!


I'm still procrastinating when it coms to the RV Rally.  I now have EIGHT rigs signed up, which means I need to create a new agenda and make up our Who's Who handout, complete with pictures.  Big sigh ... a NOT so sweet job.  It's funny how I used to juggle 25 balls at one time, and now I'm lucky if I can just keep two in the air.  I think back to when I was 40-something and wonder just how I did it.

In the meantime, the time change is wreaking havoc, but you'll be surprised to hear I have actually turned the heat on this winter since I have solar.  Maybe that will make the difference!!

Today is run around day again ... backing for a Halloween quilt, which me thinks will be a tad bit hard to find, one Christmas gift, one Yamaha CD player because Mr. Ed sent a You Tube video that had my favorite country artist Cris Stapleton singing on it, which meant I had to get my CD's out to play, except my CD player is broken and needs to be replaced.  There's a run-on sentence for you ..... AND I need two Marie Calendar frozen pie shells.  Don't ask why.  

I hope you have a fabulous Monday!!


16 comments:

  1. Went to Sam's Saturday and on my list was, of course, Rotisserie Chicken...for the first time ever, they had NONE! They had none out, none cooking, they had none in the store. Talked to the guys in the meat department (use to call them butchers, but they don't butcher anything now days) and he said they were expecting a shipment, hopefully later in the day. I am hoping it is due to Hurricane/Tropical Storm Nicole and not a sign that they are trying to raise the price due to a 'shortage'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, or maybe their trucks had to wait out the storm? I'll be looking for some later this week. Hope we aren't out also.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your reward, you deserve for sure!
    Prices for groceries is getting out of hand for sure. Your family room looks so cozy.
    Your quilts are always so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived through inflation before, but this is the worst ever.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on a well deserved reward! Those quilts are amazing! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I do love making the quilts, mostly because it keeps me out of the fridge.

      Delete
  4. I like that newly finished quilt. Which surprises me since those aren't usually my colors. :)
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either Linda ... I think it's the pattern that does it.

      Delete
  5. Those are our prices too! Ridiculous $6.00 for eggs. Your living room looks awesome! Love the decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of getting some chickens. They make good pets, right??

      Delete
  6. I thought you put a Xmas picture from a magazine. Your family room looks beautiful and ready for Santa to come down the chimney. Remember, no fire Xmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doug. If it weren't for the fire, we would freeze! LOL

      Delete
  7. Your living room looks wonderful. So warm and cozy, no snow outside though. That's a good thing even though it's cold in the morning. The mouse crunch looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's especially cozy when Cooper and I snuggle up on the couch with a big quilt!

      Delete
  8. I agree, your living room looks beautiful. How's Jonathon doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree. Jonathan is doing well ... he has his own heater that stays on all the time. It's for reptiles, but suits him perfectly.

      Delete