Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Possibly Rabid

 Happy Voting Day from sunny California.  Did you know the 2020 census showed an historical low number of people living here?  I'm pretty sure it's even LOWER now, as people are flooding to other states to get away from the tyrannical tax-inducing governor now in office.  I hate politics, but seem to have been drug in kicking and screaming due to the current state of the nation.  We are in trouble, so please vote accordingly.

THEN ... it was TURN THE TIME BACK day ... that craziness also instituted by the State that causes sleepless nights and time differences that ruin your schedule.  By the way, your animals have to adjust to the new schedule also.  

Me?  I stay on Arizona time.  That way I don't annoy my Arizona friends when I call them at 5:00 in the morning.  I even try to be extra quiet when I get up at 3 am Cyndae time when she visits.  

Here's the latest foxy video.  I noticed the other day that two big potato bugs had disappeared from my patio.  It appeared they were dead when I saw them last.  In fact, I haven't seen hardly any spiders outside either.  I have a feeling this is why.  I never knew they ate bugs and such.  I thought they were always after the chickens and eggs.  I have my own pest control service every night and it's FREE.


I forgot to mention the other day when Mr. Warkentin stopped by, he asked if I had any other things that needed to be fixed.  I said yes ... this back door.  When I close it, you can see light along the left side.  It wasn't closing tight enough, or maybe the weather stripping needed to be replaced.  I already messed with it of course, and found one of the screws to be stripped.  

He took a piece of wood out of his back pocket ... along with a pocket knife and cut off a piece.  Who carries wood in their pocket??  He jammed it in the hole, moved the bottom piece over and screwed in 2-1/2" screws, mentioning that ALL the hardware should be attached with longer screws, which of course he had in his pocket.  THIS is my kind of handy guy!!

We closed the door.  It was tight like it should be with NO light coming around the edges, meaning no warm air going outside.  This one has been bugging me for well over a year.  I'm buying a box of screws and fixing the rest of my doors.


My next trick ... gutters AGAIN!  I ran out in the rain to fetch the critter cam, to find this one overflowing, right on to the window frame that had dry rot.  From below, you really couldn't see any problem.  Out came the ladder.  Again, it appeared the screws were too short and pulling out of the holes, not to mention they were heavy with sand and gravel..  


I scrounged around until I found two much longer screws, but my not-so-trusty drill was not strong enough to screw them in.  I found my screwdriver with the funny round head, but my hand wasn't strong enough either.  My solution ... a little more leverage.  It took awhile, perched on top of the ladder, because the shingles were behind the gutter, but I got it done.  


After an hour, I finally got three more screws in, enough to hold it tighter to the facia board.  What a workout!  It's good enough for now, but will be added to the "maintenance" list when the guys come to paint the trim.  I guess I better start paying more attention to the outside.  


I cleaned one more gutter by the garage and discovered the last painters did not paint the top of the garage door frames.  Why would you not do that when you painted the rest of it?  I'm just shaking my head.  

It seems a lot of people don't do good work anymore.  The raccoon in me is getting agitated.  Yup ... this is a perfect description of me!!


Definitely rabid if I pay you for a job and you do it halfway!!!  

Time for a walk around to see if anything else needs fixing.

AND ..... it's once again BINGO TIME!!





20 comments:

  1. Mr. Warkentin seems like a good fella to know. Of course handy, dandy, can fix anything, guys pockets are like mother’s purses, it’s amazing what you can find in there. They just seem to hold everything without looking full. Red Green had a saying,” if the women don’t find ya handsome, at least they should find ya handy!” Maybe your can fix it guy is both, or it seems at least one. Lol
    Foxes are scavengers, they eat a lot of things.
    Good job on the gutters. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, it’s why we have duct tape!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck tape is my friend!! I've always said I love a handy man, especially since there's so much maintenance!!

      Delete
  2. My first thought with your title was that you thought the fox was rabid (which is very unusual). Thank goodness you were talking about your attitude pertaining to bad work ethic of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha it's true ... I can get rasty, but usually keep it to myself!!

      Delete
  3. I think your painters didn't paint because they didn't plan on you getting on a ladder that high honestly. A lot of people out there with no work ethic I'm afraid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I think you are right. Gee ... it would have taken them another 20 minutes. THIS painter will do it right.

      Delete
  4. Not knowing the difference in construction materials and what they use in California compared to Ontario Canada, what I am about to say may not apply. Going by what you are saying needs to be done, back home upgrade would be considered or suggested. Re[place old/original windows with vinyl clad windows then capping the wood around them with aluminum would be done. Eavestrough would be replaced with aluminum trough and if debris in them is a problem, put gutter guard on them. Of coarse depending on cost, what you do first is up to you. Replace windows a couple at a time if necessary, worst ones first. Doing these maintenance projects eliminates painting and increases the value of your house. That's my two cents worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are so right Bill. In this case, I think the window frames are okay. It's just the pieces around the outside edge ... the TRIM (I finally remembered the word) that need a couple pieces replaced. The rest is good, thank goodness.

      Delete
  5. Mr. Warkentin sounds like a Godsend! Nice to have someone reliable and helpful. There was never a doubt that you were someone not to piss off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing .... I think the worst I have been is when I fired the gardeners! And Godsend is the first word that came to my mind.

      Delete
  6. And this Mr. Warkentin is married? He does sound like a catch, pretty to look at or not! :)
    You can sure tell my hubby is in the home improvement 'business' back home, can't ya? ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes he is married. Too bad, right? You are lucky Patsy .. YOU have a handy man.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you really found a really nice handyman who actually knows his stuff. Things in common with the Racoon...cute...lol
    Reading you blog from yesterday and this is why I would never be able to quilt. I would have no patience for that detail. I sewed a lot of clothes and other things before fulltiming but I always hated doing any kind of corner...lol Over the years I would hear at craft sales, how can they charge so much for a quilt? When it is one done well this is why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny ... some days I have the patience for quilting, some days not so much!! I think the raccoon is my spirit animal ... hahahahaha!

      Delete
  8. Mr. Ed said you Don't paint the top or bottom of a door (the narrow parts that aren't visible when the door is closed). Leave them unpainted so the door can expand and contract with changes in humidity.
    When you have loose wooden screws that don’t tighten up go get a toothpick break it in half shove it in the hole then put the screw in that’s an old trick
    Ask your handyman to check the quality of your shingles. Based on the two photographs the first course should not have a notch on it the second course shouldn’t overlap the notch .. or find a super reputable shingle company to give you a quote If your roof shingles need replacing. dimensional shingles only last for about 15 years. Losing sand is normal To appoint but it seems like you’re losing a lot more. Is it the same side did you had your solar panels put on. how old are your shingles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 40 year roof and it's been 17 years. Hoping I don't have to replace it. They will check the roof and the gutters when they paint. It's a one stop shop. Interesting about the doors. The unpainted part is the trim over the garage doors.

      Delete
  9. Look's like you have a high end shingles that are suppose to look like slate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are correct. It seems my house is the only one in the block with this type. I had no clue until they told me. The roof is a good thing to upgrade.

      Delete
  10. Sorry no advice Nancy. I can barely handle my own problems. That fox was curious but extremely cautious. Wish I had a handyman. Be careful climbing ladders. Not good. And I said no advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me Doug, I'm VERY careful on the ladder. A good handyman is worth his weight in gold.

      Delete