Thursday, November 10, 2022

Gluten Is Good

 It's raining ... it's pouring ... the old man is snoring .... yup that's the REAL version of the song, which we sang quite often, along with 99 bottles of beer on the wall.  Maybe that's why we were required to sleep outside all summer long.  We only changed up "It's Raining" to Georgie when he came to visit.  He and his brother spent a few summers with us because they were getting in trouble in their home town.  We were so far out in the country, there was nothing to do but work our little butts off.

Winter has definitely set in as our nighttime temps for the next week will be in the mid 30's.  Brrrrrrr.  Guess I'm going to have to turn the heat on here and there.  Yes I have great solar, but it's not enough to have a zero bill if I don't watch it.  

On the other hand, I'm very happy we don't have hurricanes here.  Florida is getting hit with another one, although I think they are calling it a tropical storm.  Looks like a hurricane to me.  Be safe Dave and Marcia.  It's heading your way.


I've been rather a lump on a log for the last couple of days.  Nothing is motivating me to get going.  I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I now have seven rigs coming to the Indio Rally.  That means I actually have to PLAN something for the Indio Rally.  If anyone has ever been there, you know my dilemma.  The sad part is that most of us are too old to do much anyway.

SO ... I thought I would practice my pancake skills since we always have a pancake breakfast.  Remember that expensive 12 ounce box of gluten free Bisquick?  Time to put it to the test.


I read up a tad on gluten free stuff, and yes, it's probably not a good idea to go full fledge unless you are diagnosed.  I'd rather eat a spider than go to the local doctors.  But since I bought the box, I'm using it.  

It's made with rice flour.  Otherwise it's the same old Bisquick.  I mixed up a small batch to find it rather soupy with a very fine texture.  I admit, it was a little hard (and very messy) to use 1/2 an egg.  Cooper got the other half after a quick scramble.   Into the pan they went, with lots of butter of course, spreading way too quickly.  Hey ... not too bad looking for a novice pancake maker.


It didn't bubble up like pancakes do to notify you it's time to turn them over, but I got three cooked in record time.  Naturally I smothered them with syrup.  Smothering is my code name for load it up with sugar.  Cupcakes are made the same way ... smothering them with frosting!!

They were actually quite edible, although there wasn't much flavor there.  I have to admit, gluten is good, or at least better than this stuff.  I doubt anyone would know the difference if you didn't tell them though.  Next time maybe I'll throw in some blueberries.  


That's it ... I fell asleep on the couch.  I mentioned I stay on Arizona time, but that darn time change thing hits me every time there is Bingo or a Thursday meeting.  I didn't get home until 11:30 and of course was wide awake at 3:00.  It seems to me the time change does NOT save electricity, since now everyone turns all their lights on even earlier.  

In spite of being drug out, I have to get my act together today.  Cyndae is coming back to stay for a couple of appointments.  I won't be here though ... I have not one, but THREE meetings at the Elks Lodge tonight.  My fondness for the Trustee position is waning.  I could probably miss a few here and there, but I miss so many when I'm in Arizona that I feel obligated.

Coming up .... besides Bingo that is ... a Thanksgiving dinner for special children, a Thanksgiving dinner (which I have to cook) for 100 seniors, a Veterans Day Parade with our Pearl Harbor survivor who at 102 years old is still going strong, followed by a free dinner for every Veteran who walks in the door, a Frizz Brunch, an Elks dinner or two and December is coming fast with many more.  I think I need to bring my laundry list of excuses up to date!

For now, I'm looking at the RV rally schedule, but my brain is not working.  Maybe after another batch of pancakes.  Anyone have any ideas besides happy hour?  This is not a game or card playing group and sadly, there are no trains in Indio.  Maybe I can have a free raffle ... or better yet ... a free margarita hour!!



14 comments:

  1. So cool that there is going to be a Pearl Harbor survivor at your parade. There are getting to be so few of them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, this on is a native Apache. Oh the stories he can tell.

      Delete
  2. Wow you are busy. Very cool that a PH survivor will be gracing the event.
    No ideas of entertainment, sorry. I do however have faith in you that you will do an amazing job. How about Bingo? Lol You have lots of experience!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jim, how awesome is that! Pancakes are good, no matter how they're made and yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a bit of wind, rain, wind & rain...and it will last most of the day. 68 degrees, and will probably stay around 68-70 all day and night. Oh, did I mention the occasional lights dimming for a few moments here and there? Hoping we don't loose electricity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Deb....bingo? But then I remembered bingo is a game....sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But wouldn't it be funny??? I may just have to try it.

      Delete
  6. Mr. Ed said 65 mile an hour winds with gusts to 80 at times but we worked out fine no damage at our place however couple of carports and wall sideing our perimeter fence need to be repaired in our park . from Jupiter to Daytona Beach with water about 2 or 3 ft of coastal flooding the beachside get. Erosion real bad along with a bunch of houses that didn’t quite make it U wanted to be on the water side now they have Floating homes Other than that we’re fine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow ... glad you are okay Ed. I've seen some of those houses on the beach, or what WAS the beach. They didn't even get a chance to clean up from the last storm.

      Delete
  7. Looks like cowboy food to me. :O)
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. On the ranch, we had pancakes almost every Sunday morning. Seems to me the syrup was better back then.

      Delete