Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Germs, Germs and MORE Germs

 Four hours sleep.  Ugh, this time change is killing me.  I'm getting up at the same time, but having to work an hour later at my favorite place, the Magic Kingdom of Bingo.  

But FIRST ... let's be completely surprised by the painting contractor walking around the house, banging on the window frames.  Note to self ... be sure to get dressed every morning at 5:00 am so as not to be completely embarrassed when he looks through the window.  Thank Heavens it's cold and I had clothes on!!

They began by climbing up in the attic to see why there is a bump on the roof.  I wasn't the least bit worried about that, but I guess I should be.  I remembered when I bought the place, someone said there was a broken truss that had to be repaired.  Luckily I found the paperwork with pictures and it is in the same spot.  I still have no idea WHY there is a bump, but they said they will fix it, or at least make sure it is not a problem.

There are two guys now, one a roofing contractor ... so I'm pretty confident they know what they are doing.  I know there is house maintenance to be done, but I had no idea just how MUCH you need to keep an eye on.  Where's Prince Charming when I need him!!  This is HIS job!

So at 2:30, I left them to their own devices and headed off to the Magic Kingdom.  I was instantly waylaid by the King, who updated me on the number of seniors we are going to feed today.  It's Bingo recovery day and I have to cook for 120 people.  Won't THAT be fun!


There was no play time in the castle tower.  I went straight to work getting ready for the onslaught of peasants.  I really didn't expect much, after all it's almost Thanksgiving and turkeys need to be bought, not Bingo cards.  I was VERY wrong.  

They came in a crushing crowd, talking so loud I couldn't hear the gal sitting right next to me, call out the numbers.  Between them talking loudly into their phones because they can't call anyone back, and relating their other Bingo venue wins and losses, it was a madhouse.  I finally just sat there doing nothing until they all said what's wrong?  The quiet lasted all of three seconds!

Wow ... what a crowd!  141 people squished in to the tables as we brought out chair after chair.  

Here's the interesting part.  Every time we get close to a holiday, they bring out all their change saved up in piggy banks for the kids.  I kid you not, they have ziplok bags full of change.  I hate change.  It's worse than handling dirty paper money.  They are sticky from whatever ... and sometimes they even SMELL!!

Add to that the people who show up coughing and spitting all over us as they dig in their pockets for said change.  My hands quickly became a Petri dish of disgusting germs.  I stopped the line TWICE last night to go wash my hands.  Ugh ... it gives me the shivers.

It didn't help that my card counter was hoarse.  She kept saying she felt okay, but I wasn't believing it.  It will be a miracle if I don't get sick in the next seven days.

Finally a break in the action allowed me time to tear up another 150 tickets for next week's number calling.  If your number is called, you win ten pull tabs.  If you are really lucky, you might win $1.00.  Maybe even $2.00 ... which means "buy more bingo cards".  Those people never seem to win.  Here I am tearing up yet another 150 red tickets for next week.

What DOES amaze me is the one gal with a bubbly personality that sets up for me every night.  She wins $250 to $500 EVERY SINGLE WEEK.   I don't know what it is, but she seems to have the knack of picking the right cards.  


I scrubbed my hands for two full minutes when I got home, before touching anything.  Then I washed my phone in alcohol.  Not that it will help, but I took a handful of vitamins just for good measure.

When I gather up all my strength, I'll drive BACK to the lodge to begin prep on that Thanksgiving dinner for seniors.  We bought for 80, so I'll have to make some food appear out of nowhere.  

So let's talk turkey.  They bought 6 large breast only chunks that will be cooked and sliced up with NO waste.  You cannot even begin to imagine just how much that costs.  To say the price has gone up is an understatement.  $5.99 a POUND for these turkeys.  No one ever said the Elks Lodge was stingy when it comes to food.


There will be mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes with maple syrup and marshmallows, corn, rolls, turkey AND pumpkin pie!!!


I'm truly hoping I can get in a Zzzz or two on the couch before heading down there at noon.  To make it worse, there are not one, but FOUR dinners being prepared at the SAME TIME in the SAME KITCHEN.  Someone didn't schedule this very well.   Wish me luck!!  I'm going to need it today!





22 comments:

  1. Like to know how FOUR different cooks are going to work together in a kitchen on four different meals? How many are the other groups cooking for???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was crazy Dave! I know you can imagine that fiasco!

      Delete
  2. Mr. Ed said butterball turkey $.99 to $1.40 depending around town.
    Why don’t you just put it on a pair of surgical gloves when you’re handling money. Practical before fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I tried that once before and it didn't work out so well. Might not be a bad idea to try it again.

      Delete
  3. I wondered about the surgical gloves too. Your hands will sweat but they'd be clean!
    I couldn't do it, and I'm a very calm patient person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me ten years to figure out how to handle it. LOL

      Delete
  4. Hope you got some zzzz's. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me thinks you should have stayed with cattle. :O) And what's someone who says they can't cook doing all the cooking, eh.
    Bobseyes.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird Bob ... I'll explain it today ... I think.

      Delete
  6. Four dinners? Oh...I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have to have the industrial sized container of hand sanitizer. No thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun day today! LOL. Can't wait for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the gloves and money. A very good idea.
    Like Bob, if you can't cook, why do they ask you to poison.....er cook for all those folks? Do they hope for less numbers next year? LOL
    I would trick some of the peasants into doing some work, offering a discount on the bingo cards or some such idea. Oh I know, blue tickets worth $3 for a win!!!! LOL That'll do it.
    Good luck.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot explain the cooking thing, but honestly you don't WANT anyone else in the kitchen because they don't know what they are doing!

      Delete
  10. I also think that gloves would be most helpful for you Nancy. It is common here to see people wearing gloves. You don't want to get sick. Good luck on your cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll try the gloves next time. As long as I can count the money fast, it should work.

      Delete