Sunday, July 31, 2022

Lost in Costco

 You can't beat this morning view while enjoying your coffee and your dog.  I never seem to be able to get far from the ball.  The good news is Cooper is happy as a clam if you are throwing or kicking that nasty slimy thing his direction.  Just be sure and wash your hands before breakfast.  We've been running in the high 90's with occasional cloud cover.  In fact, it's supposed to rain tomorrow.  You and I both know that's not going to happen.


With a list of errands to run, I decided to get an early start.  Saturday at Costco is never a good idea, but my brain said all I had to do was have my glasses checked.  In order to read my phone, I have to look at the bottom of the frame and hold them up a tad.  Mr. Ed said I should take them back ....

The lady was as nice as could be.  It is an unusual experience to find an employee who likes their job as much as she did.   She found the problem immediately, but sadly, they have to be remade.  That's another seven days (maybe more) that I have to keep gluing my old glasses together.  The actual lens is broken now and I glued my hair to the frame.  Note to self ... let it dry longer.

Since I was in Costco, I might as well cruise the aisles and pick up a huge roasted $4.99 chicken.  That's not the smartest thing for me to do.  Somehow I got lost in the wine section looking for tortillas.  I veered quickly to the left when I saw the cookies and pastries and ended up in the fish aisle.  These shrimp caught my eye instantly.  They just FLEW into my basket.  Who knew shrimp could fly?  You can't tell me you wouldn't do the same as you waited on the cluck clucks.


The Cooper-approved chicken came out just as my eye wandered over the pork loin.  They were surprisingly cheap and will cook up great on the BBQ, using less electricity in the house.  I think I've become obsessed with never giving PG&E another dime.  I never did find the tortillas.


What I originally wanted to check out, and obviously got terribly sidetracked, were the shorts purchased by a friend.  SQUIRREL!!  That's when I spotted the shirts.  I never buy clothes at Costco, but as of now, it's almost the only place in town.  Yes it's long sleeve, but if you're horseback riding in the California sun, you need "coverage".  

Once home, I tried it on.  OMG it fits PERFECTLY!!!  For $12.99, I'm heading back this morning to buy three more.  That's how it is with us hard-to-fit gals.  If you find one that fits, you buy one in every color.


Dinner time had me standing at the bowl of veggies.  Not my usual fare, but I had just dropped off three big garbage bags full of clothing that didn't fit at St. Vincent De Paul.  I won't be going there again, even if it is the only one besides Goodwill (whose CEO makes a ridiculous salary).  Yikes ... I'm sure the wife-beater-shirt guy inside was a homeless dude.  None of the lights were on, although they may have the same electricity problem I have, and he had no tags to give me for donations.  The place smelled terrible.  I dropped the bags at the door and hightailed it out of there.

SO ... I wanted to eat something that wouldn't stick to the inside of my skin.  I know, that's never going to happen at this age.


Dinner was leftover fajita chicken with those amazing tomatoes.  I just can't help singing the praises of home grown.  Maybe I can find some kind of farmers market around here.


I spent the rest of the night working on the puzzle.  Not many pieces left, and I'm sure I tried every single one of them in every single hole.  Maybe I can finish it up today while I watch the rodeo finals.


My gardeners are official fired, so please say a little prayer that the new guys show up this week.  I just don't need another problem to solve besides the one that just popped up.  After walking around outside and actually LOOKING at the house, I have a paint peeling trim problem.  Big sigh!!!!  Oh the joy!!!!  The good news is when they move me to the old folks home, I won't have any house repairs to make any more.


14 comments:

  1. It's amazing that you can buy Cooked Food cheaper then Fresh at many stores.
    Be certain to try all those shirts you buy. Even if it says it is the same size it might not be.
    Painting house trim is a great way for passing the time of day.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Costco has smart people there. An item or two of cheap food brings people in and they always buy more.

      Delete
  2. I bought clothing at Costco too and it is a hit or miss. Just keep your receipt in case of. We are 40 miles + to the nearest Costco for us so if the clothing is a miss, I place aside along with receipt for the next trip to town. Also, start a box and place unwanted clothing/stuff in it and when you go to Arizona, take and dump it at a Salvation/thrift store in Tucson/Vail. I will not go to Goodwill on Haughton. I will not go to the thrift stores in Benson. Green Valley has a wonderful thrift store, White Elephant(?). Plan to go to Green Valley when we return in the fall. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is actually a good thrift store right in Vail. I do take things there if I have enough room in the rig to take them. The White Elephant ... I remember seeing that. I'll check it out the next time I'm there.

      Delete
  3. Mr Ed ? If you think you’re a cheapskate now Wait till you get to the old folks home And get your monthly bill you’ll wish you had your house back
    499 Costco chicken at 2 pounds if you buy it uncooked it’s seven dollars After you tear it apart it makes a nice sandwich (s) Or a great soup
    I buy a lot of my button-down shirts at BJ’s like Costco they got the best deals and better quality and yes you do buy 2 or 3 extra
    If the gardener gave you his card may be a follow up call would be an order
    God forbid if you can’t read your phone And if your glasses don’t feel right I’m glad you took them back sometimes they don’t always get the width measurement correct
    If you got a second pair for free you might want to have and pay the difference make them transition or sunglasses sometimes it’s nice to have The driving And no you wouldn’t look cool driving with sunglasses at night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the latest sunglasses ... they are dark, but turn even darker when out in the sun. My friend is checking on a home for her mom ... $5,000 a month. Who in the heck can afford that???

      Delete
  4. That was a successful trip to Costco for you. Amazing that they can make a profit from those grilled chickens. You know there are solar ovens too and a sailor fellow on FB shows photos of his dinners and bakes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solar oven? Sounds like a fun way to bake. I'm going to research that!!

      Delete
  5. I wish we had a Costco in Rapid City. We are stuck with Sam's which will do but we'd rather have Costco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard Sams is going out of business? I sure love Costco here!

      Delete
  6. I love Costco, the parking lots are usually the only grief. Inside, we move quickly and efficiently. Wait! The clothes! Bill buys all his jeans there (16.99) and I love the ladies clothing and prices. :) Great job. I wish Bill liked those chickens as much as I do, I'd buy them. I love your shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely true ... hard to find a parking spot ... but at least they still have people at the checkout stands!

      Delete
  7. Just can't beat the price of those chickens! We make 3-4 meals for two out of each chicken. Low 90's today in Citrus Heights! Only 73 right now (11:30 am). Of course, there is that HUGE fire that sprung up near Yreka...wondering just how big this one will get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calif will probably be on fire until September.

      Delete