Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Banging and Kabooming!!!

CELEBRATE!  CELEBRATE!  Dance to the MUSIC!!!  Now there's a song to have rattling around in your head all day!  Although not quite as cool, it was lovely yesterday morning as I listened to the last crackle and pop of fireworks before it was even the Fourth!

Time to put those ribs in the smoker.  I tried to have everything timed out perfectly since I had to return to the Fireworks Booth for the next session.  


I whipped up a nice potato salad ... boy do I love THAT stuff ... along with those Red Lobster cheese biscuits.  Not traditional 4th of July fare, but delicious nonetheless!!  I barely finished this plate.  I'm so excited ... ribs for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!

By the way, does anyone know if you can freeze already cooked ribs?  I'll never be able to eat all that before it spoils, and with the price of meat nowadays, well ... you know.


After watching some amazing rodeo from St Paul Oregon, I was headed out to sell fireworks.  It's the last day of one of our biggest fundraiser events besides Bingo.  My first problem was the two iPads we use to keep track of what we sell and to charge out product, were almost dead.  

 SOMEONE forgot to charge them.  When their little hearts get down to 40%, they start shutting down.  I found they WERE plugged in occasionally, but guys .... you forgot to start the generator!!    


Last year at this time we were basically sold out of anything. This year we had plenty of big stuff left ... no surprise considering the prices ... and very little small stuff.  The cheap made-of-paper sparklers sold out at $18.00 each (buy one get one free).  China is making a killing in the U.S.  The Family Pak, our best selling multi-pack was $60.00 and they went up from there with the next most popular being $175.00.  My biggest sale this day was $650.00.  I kid you not!!!


It's like Bingo on steroids!!  The money people spend on this stuff is mind blowing!!  That Opening Show on the left above is $100.  We sold out ... and it's only ONE.  Light it once and it sends out colored sparks for about 4 minutes and it's done!!  

Actually, I'm glad everyone here is celebrating the fourth, as I've heard other places say they refuse to celebrate anything.  Hmmmm maybe they should move to some other wonderful country.  Oops did I say that out loud??   


The average sales on this day were around $200.00.  True to the Bingo nature, they would buy something, return it, buy something else, change their mind ... I mean really, it was crazy.  Like a kid in a candy store I guess.  We were jammed all afternoon.

One lady purchased a $200 pack, then demanded something free.  Since she paid so much, she said she was entitled (there's that word I hate) to something free.  I told her I was SO sorry, but we had to account for every single piece of inventory or have the cash that paid for it.  She was not a happy camper.

I do love seeing the kids ... all excited about the night's festivities.  I said something to one Spanish gentlemen about his two big boys (at 12 years of age), almost as tall as he.  He said that's what happens when you are privileged enough to grow up in the United States.  Wow ... he's definitely got the right idea.  He absolutely made my day.

I was dragging butt by the time I left after five hours of fun!  It really is always a great time working with the people who volunteer for this stuff.  They make it all worthwhile.  I arrived home to the banging and kabooming of fireworks all around the area.  

You can sit in my backyard and watch a show that rivals any fairgrounds in the area.  I'm not kidding, it sounded like a war zone.  Mainly I kept watch on my dead-grass-filled back yard.  I still haven't found anyone who can cut a steel post and remove it so I can get a tractor in to disc.  Luckily, nothing caught fire and crazy as it sounds, the fireworks quit about midnight!  

I'll try to sneak in a nap today because it's BINGO TIME!!


14 comments:

  1. Entitled and deserve are two trigger words for me was well. Nothing gets my blood boiling like someone who says they deserve something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can find somebody near by with a hi-lifter jack (jeep people will know what that is) and a piece of chain, you can probably pull that post out. I have pulled dozens out with mine over the year. Surprising how strong those things are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is it's set in concrete. The only post on the entire place and it's the one I need to take out! LOL

      Delete
  3. Last night I watched three sets of fireworks through our living room windows while sitting in my comfortable chair. That's how I celebrate. :)
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you can freeze already cooked ribs. DO NOT reheat in a microwave. The best way is to use a crockpot and some apple juice to reheat them. We do this all the time. We have some ribs left over from Monday and plan to have them later this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much!! I keep having them for breakfast, lunch and dinner until they are gone. It's just WAY too much!!! I'll try your reheating recipe!

      Delete
  5. When we have leftover ribs, I remove the bones, portion them out and freeze them in a vacuum sealed bag. When I want to use them, I place them in a crockpot with a little apple juice or pineapple juice or wine and let them go for few hours on low (depends if thawed out beforehand or not, just needs to be heated through).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious to me! Much better than overeating just so they don't spoil!

      Delete
  6. When someone ask me for something for free, I reach deep down into my pocket, and pull out a hand with one finger showing...if you know what I mean... lol (not appropriate in your situation, however) Speaking of which, if you put your hand up in the air and wiggle all your fingers you can say, "Do you know what this is?" They will say "What". Showing just the one finger you say, "A flock of one of these...." oh, I am bad today...too many booms and too much consoling a scared doggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud Dave!! That's one I've never heard before!!! You are too funny!

      Delete
  7. Dave cracks me up! My trigger words "it's not fair!".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessirree ... I agree Elva. So much for the "old" days.

      Delete