Tuesday, July 26, 2022

Back In The Saddle

It's a beautiful morning in the neighborhood as I ponder my two corrals.  Wouldn't one or two horses just look great out there?  I miss my two kids that I used to haul all over the West Coast and who hauled me around to work cattle and play at horse shows.  You get attached to horses pretty easily, a life long attraction that never goes away.


Smoke from the nearby fire is coming in, but it's not too bad at the moment.  Seems most of it is going North.  55,000 acres have burned so far with 0% (that's ZERO %) containment.  "They" are so much about the poor animals when it comes to control burns ... well you can just imagine what's happening now.  The Sierra Club and all of their members should be up there fighting the fires.


In no time I was ready to head out for the day's adventure.  My friend Sandy has had many horses over the years, several of which I've ridden with her in the mountains.  She's a hiking and riding expert, even using some of her horses for pack animals as she and friends hike into the Sierras.  Personally I would rather ride!!

Here's her latest purchase ... this gorgeous appaloosa filly named Mia.  She's a three year old with the best disposition I've ever see in a horse so young.  

Generally you begin riding horses when they are about 2 years old.  By the time they are three, you either love them or you hate them!!  This one is a peach!!  I've never ever seen a three year old so calm and unconcerned about her surroundings.  Oh she looks at everything, but acts like an old soul of 15.


Meet Mindy ... my ride for the day.  She was basically a rescue at around six I think Sandy said, with no riding experience at all.  Yikes!!!  The worst buck-off of my life happened on a horse just like that.  This one though ... she seems bomb-proof.  

I cleaned their hooves out while Sandy saddled them with her two lightweight saddles.  I think I see a new saddle in my future.  Good grief, my saddle gained 30 pounds during the last two years!!  I better get back to the gym!!

Sandy doesn't get to ride Mia out very often.  It's not exactly safe to take a green horse out alone.  Sandy ponies her around the countryside instead (leads her while riding Mindy) to get her used to trail riding, going over branches and around trees.


So this is where I come in ...  I ride Mindy and Sandy rides Mia.  Mia looks to Mindy for support occasionally, but surprisingly wasn't afraid to walk out first at all.  We rode around trash piles, over berms, down ditch banks ... everything we could to get her used to maneuvering around obstacles.  She did great!!!

I only got one pictures while riding.  You really do have to pay attention to everyone and everything when riding.  The least little thing can land you in trouble.  On this day the worst problem was keeping them from eating the leaves off the walnut trees.  They LOVE those leaves.


Sadly two hours later, way too soon, we ended up back at the barn where Mindy showed her dominance over the new kid.  There's always a top-dog animal.  With cattle, it's usually the oldest cow who takes the lead.  No one goes anywhere unless she goes first.  Get her through the gate, and you're in like Flynn.  

Same goes for horses.  One is the leader of the pack (almost always a mare) and shows her dominance over everyone with squeals and kicks if necessary.  Mindy is definitely the BOSS.

On the way out, Sandy loaded me up with vegetables from her garden.  OMG I'm in HEAVEN.  You cannot imagine the taste of those tomatoes.  


It was one of the best days I've had in months!!  I can't wait to go again, which most likely will be on Thursday.  You know what else?  I'm not the least bit sore.  THAT'S A PLUS!!!  But maybe I'll take an aspirin or two, you know, just in case.


10 comments:

  1. Good day Nancy,
    It definitely was a great day for you, doing exactly what you were born to do. You ride that horse, girl....
    Bonus with the fresh garden veggies. Enjoy the rest of your day, take care, Melynda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a GREAT day Melynda. I do love carousing with the big critters.

      Delete
  2. Back in the Saddle again...glad you had fun, bet you can't wait till you get to do it again. NOW you just need to find someone in Tucson who needs their horse broken in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You read my mind Dave. I think I found a place too, not far from the house. May even get to work some cattle.

      Delete
  3. Mr Ed Ride 🐎 cowgirl…. I think Daves got the best answer . I guess the Sierra club never asked American Indians what’s 🔥 best
    https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2022/07/21/united-shades-california-fires-cultural-burning-origseriesfilms.cnn

    ReplyDelete

  4. Yeah, horseback riding. Not my thing but glad you got to do it.

    Mr. Ed's comment reminded me of white men trying to find the headwaters of the Mississippi River. Finally asked the local Indians who walked right to it.

    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems when you live off the land and not the grocery store, you gain a bit of knowledge.

      Delete
  5. So jealous! The only thing better than having horses yourself is having friends with horses! Oh wait, friends with horses is better than having horses as you can still travel and not worry about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep telling myself that!! And it's a whole lot cheaper. Hay here is off the charts ... almost $30 a bale.

      Delete