Tuesday, July 12, 2022

You Love Them Or You Hate Them

 Whooowie it's been a scorcher here in the Central Valley.  We're not used to this kind of heat.  106 is just not in my vocabulary!!  The morning patio coffee was cut short pretty quickly when the contractor showed up.  You know contractors .... you either love them or you hate them.  He had already acquired the building permit and was ready to hit the road running.


This is a young kid with a really good reputation (not to mention he's an Elk), which is why he was able to get the permit so quickly.  I really didn't want to bother him too many questions since he was a little short handed on this day.  That didn't keep him from getting up on the roof immediately and setting the rails that hold the panels.  I think I'm leaning toward the love side.


I kidded him about cleaning out my drains while he was up there, and to my surprise, he said he would be happy to.  Wow ... that's nice!  In the back of my mind I'm thinking ... I wonder if he has an angle grinder?

Then I remembered one of the most important questions ... could he put bird wire around the outside of the sections.  We have an F-Troop of pigeons that nest under the back neighbors solar panels, making for about 100 new babies every year.  Just what we need ... flying rats.  Truly, they are such dirty birds, and not in a funny way.  Again he answered ... Of course!!!  Yup I'm falling hard!


Gosh ... did I get lucky or what?  In no time they had the panels up, including one other side roof.  The second crew that does the actual wiring even showed up and spent an hour or so before the temps got up to 104 when they called it a day.  They are using a SolarEdge inverter and are putting optimizers on the panels.  As for the exact brand of panels, I'll have to ask.  I did speak to several of his customers who said they are more than happy with their setup.


As they were putting tools away, I finally got up enough nerve to say "you don't happen to have an angle grinder in your truck, do you"?  Yes I do he said ... what do you need?  See that post?  Can you cut it off?  YES was the answer.  Yup .. I'm definitely in love with this contractor.  I'll pay you cash.  Oh ... just enough for a couple of beers he said, but it's too hot today.  We'll do it tomorrow morning.  Hallelujah!!!!


I'm sure he's just being nice because I probably remind him of his grandmother ... but that's okay!!  I'll give them enough for TWO cases of beer!!

I had a quick run to town which I'll tell you about tomorrow, because they are coming back even earlier this morning to finish up the job.  Then I'll be waiting on PG&E to do the hookup.  No telling how long THAT will take!! 

On the way home I stopped in at Panda Express.  That orange chicken gets me every time.  $12.00 for this plate (it used to be $10) but it will last three meals.


My tip of the day ... never EVER go to Costco on Monday at 3:00.  I think everyone goes there for the air conditioning!!  I have never EVER seen it that busy.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you hit the jackpot with that installer!

    Looking forward to seeing the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too!! You don't find them like that nowadays.

      Delete
  2. WOW! Looks like you scored with a Giant BINGO! err...make that a Giant Jackpot (you sure don't want to play BINGO even with that contractor!) Case of beer would make any contractor happy...well, except a Mormon Contractor. I wonder just how long PG&E will take to hook this thing up???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hoping not long ... but I'm not holding my breath!

      Delete
  3. The planets in your universe must be in perfect alignment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put Panda Express leftovers through my food processor and serve it as a cold salad the next day. Tasty stuff.
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my ... I've heard of that before, but I bet you're right! That stuff is delicious ANY way you eat it!!

      Delete