Thursday, July 7, 2022

My Tasty Mexican Dinner

 It's a lovely 61 degrees out on the patio this morning.  Perfect coffee sipping weather to welcome in the day.  I'm paying no attention to the kid barking at my feet, which means it's time for a walk to smell the smells.  

Wasn't I surprised upon my return to see this beautiful tree blooming in my front yard.  One minute it looked like it was dying, the next it was flaming red!  Maybe my little pinkie has a tiny bit of green in it after all.

Thanks to everyone for the concern about Kevin.  They ran a bunch of tests only to find his blood pressure on the low side.  I don't trust that hospital one bit, so hopefully he gets himself checked out somewhere else also.    


Back from our walk, Cooper crashed on the couch.  One mile seems to be a lot for those short legs, not to mention that he trots the entire way.  Must be why he's in such great shape.  I should take note!!


By 8:30 I was off to Food For Less with a short list.  They had pork loin on sale at a great price, plus I was looking for these.  Juanitas tortilla chips.  They are the best I've ever had.  Thin, crispy, just a touch of salt ... perfect with salsa!!  And gluten free ... a plus!!  

Of course if I have chips, I need salsa.  It seems all the veggies come from Mexico this time of year.  I've been told it's their earlier harvesting season that makes it available now.  The tomatoes look wonderful, but there's really no taste.  The jalapeños I got were HUGE ... like three times the normal size.

That pork loin?  It was probably ten pounds ... biggest thing I've ever seen!  It would have fed a family of 25 ... WAY too much for me.  Even if I cut it up to freeze it, it would have taken up my entire freezer.  I passed.  I did check out the beef, but again, just like Costco, everything was in huge packages.  Maybe I'll check back when my freezer is empty.


When I got home with my salsa makings, I noticed this on the island.  No not the dirt, which has now been cleaned up ... who cleans their face plates? ... but the blue.  Anyone know what is causing this?  It's where I plug my phone in every night.  I've actually cleaned it up before and here it is again.  Funny, there's nothing on the phone plugs at all .... just this guy with his surprised look.  Yup I'm surprised too!!


First thing I whipped up a batch of salsa, which I forgot to take a picture of.  Let me just say that no matter how little WHITE onion you use, it's too much.  Barely two tablespoons ruined the entire batch.  Man that stuff is STRONG!!!  Oh I ate it with those tasty chips, because I wasn't about to waste any of it, but it was bad bad bad!  

In an effort to get that taste out of my mouth, I made my version of a Mexican Restaurant dinner.  Did I mention I'm a terrible cook?  The rice would have been okay had I not used that really old package of seasoning.  

Luckily I found one small can of refried beans at Food For Less.  Most of their products come in the biggest size available, all of which are too big for one person.  I looked online for a recipe to make this canned yumminess more like restaurant quality.  

Okay, that didn't turn out so well either.  Thin them down it said ... with cream, which I just happened to have.  Maybe I used too much, because they didn't taste like the restaurant kind at all.  At least the beef taco was edible.  So much for Mexican fare.  I'll just get takeout.  Maybe someone can pass along their great rice and beans recipes.


I spent the last couple hours of the day STILL working on this quilt.  Only three more of these squares before I begin on the next twelve for the edges, followed by the fancy borders that will surround every square.  Yessirree ... this is not your grandma's quilt in a day.  I'm never doing another one like this ... no more double flying geese for me!!!


This month's package of parts and pieces for this quilt is at the store for pickup.  Today I'm calling and having them mail it.  $5.00 to mail is better than $15.00 for diesel, which has amazingly dropped to $6.59 a gallon.  Gas is still around $6.00.  Besides, I can use that savings to get a nice dinner to-go at Josie's Restaurant!!


10 comments:

  1. Concerning your outlet, it's green patina effect probably because one of the electrical connections inside is 'loose' and that area must be a bit humid from kitchen steam due to cooking, dishwasher, etc. If you throw the breaker for that outlet killing the power, you can take off the cover (one screw) and then the outlet (two screws) and look it over. Most likely you will see some green on one or more of the wires, just clean and tighten real good and put outlet back in. It would not hurt to use Permatex Dielectric Grease on the wire connection after you clean it, just a couple of bucks from Amazon or any hardware store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Ed
      Dave you can use a dab of Vaseline although the d-electric grease is superior they still do the same thing you do not want to put the electric grease or Vaseline on the outside of the electric plug connection. The ladder is used for twist connectors. To keep the moisture out in a humid environment

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dave .. I'll see if I can find that breaker.

      Delete
  2. Mr Ed. Green goo is the result of a reaction between decomposing plasticiser and the copper conductors of PVC cables. The plasticiser starts to slowly decompose over time, reacting with the copper to produce the green colour. This process can be accelerated by high temperatures caused by overloading or loose connections.
    At the same time replace the old plug cord with new

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good advice from Dave if you don’t know which Breaker goes to that plug plug the radio into it turn the volume up and go to you fuse panel when the radio stops the plug is dead
      As Dave said there’s only one screw holding the cover but there are two screws top and bottom holding the adapter you will see two wires attached to that don’t take them off just tighten them down put it all back together and you’re good to go
      And yes you can do it you will not get a shock because there’s no power after you put it all back together turn the power on as long as it doesn’t smoke (only kidding) you’re fine Truck that under your I woman I could do it belt👍

      Delete
    2. Well this should be fun!!! Hopefully I can do this!

      Delete
  3. What was wrong with the rice? My mom made what we called "salsa cruda". But I just Googled and I didn't see what mom made. So I guess it would be more like Pico de Gallo but with bigger chunks. She told me if you are going to eat the salsa right away to add onion. But no onion if you plan to have it for a couple of days. The onion would overpower the other flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip on the onion. I'm thinking red onion would have been much better and not so overpowering. Thanks Elva!

      Delete
  4. That tree looks amazing! And we love those chips with our salsa as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, I've never heard of those chips before. LOVE them!

      Delete