Monday, July 25, 2022

Cow Camp Meals

 It's a tough life.  After chasing the ball on the patio while I sipped my cup of Joe, Cooper and I went for our morning walk around the neighborhood.  He completely missed the black kitty kitty hiding at the edge of the lawn.  If it was a snake, it would have jumped out and bit him, or at the least, scared hime half to death!!  This kid is not the Mohammed Ali of dogdom.


Once back in the house, I set about baking up a storm, or maybe just a squall, all to be done before the 4:00 power deadline.  For some weird reason, it appears the small cans of crushed pineapple are no longer in production.  I only need 8 ounces, not 16, so on this day my Hawaiian bread became plain old banana bread.  Even so, Jonathan loves it!!


Then it was on to the Instant Pot for some some Cooper pot roast.  Little does he know he only gets two small bowls of it (stuck in the freezer) while MOM gets a bowl all to herself for tacos.  That of course requires salsa.  

There's an old story about this salsa.  When we took cattle to the mountains, we stayed at our cow camp.  Rarely did we ever take fresh meat because we had to pack the mules for the 30 mile ride.  Ice chests were unheard of, not to mention the threat of carrying delectable bear food on top of a horse or mule.  Bears were prevalent, which scared me absolutely to death since we slept outside on the ground in sleeping bags.  Unless we got lucky during deer season, we ate dried beef.  

As you can imagine, dried beef on bread (not even toast) got pretty tiring.  Trying to change it up a bit, rattlesnake was fried over the campfire.  Hey, it was fresh meat.  With the snake den out back by the outhouse (yup we were uptown with that outhouse) there was always something available to skin and fry.  It tastes like chicken if you were wondering.

The favorite was Cowboy Stew, with potatoes, chipped beef, some sort of canned vegetable and gravy, but that was only for special occasions.  

One day just for giggles, my Mom made some salsa to pour over the chipped beef.  We were in Heaven.  After that, every time we had cooked beef of any kind that was a little dry, it was smothered in salsa.  Try it sometime ... you'll love it!!


On this day however, it went on my beef tacos, completely smothered in cheese.  It's even better on deep pit barbecue.


I spent much of the day watching Rodeo finals and working on the next challenge of this quilt.  Gee I only have 92 more of these to make.  And here I thought I was home free.  These pieces make up the ribbon that runs through it.


Gee again ... I only have 42 more ribbons to go, after those 92 pieces are done.  This better be worth it in the end!!!  There will be a major celebration when it's done!


BUT FOR TODAY ..... I just got the call.  Sandy and I are going riding!  Time to gather up all my gear and hit the trail!!


20 comments:

  1. Riding sounds like a blast, hope you have fun and took some ibuprofen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes ... I should have thought of that BEFORE I went.

      Delete
  2. Salsa on any meat can only improve the flavor in my opinion! :) Banana bread looks yummy! Enjoy your riding :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Shirley, it really does make meat taste yummy.

      Delete
  3. And you should add...this was before the days of Tupperware to seal your food in, before the day of 'Baggies' to seal your food in, before the day of portable generators, no Internet, no TV, 'maybe' a transistor radio to listen to a radio station (probably not!), absolutely NO COMFORTS that we have today. Heck, if a parent took their children on this type of endeavor today, they would be arrested for being cruel to their children! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me that we used to wrap sandwiches in waxed paper. But we had bags made of waxed paper to put potato chips in--be careful to keep them right side up because they had no closure other than folding down the top.
      Linda Sand

      Delete
    2. That's pretty much correct Dave! Our food was packed in flour sacks and canvas bags. We did have SOME refrigeration ... it was the creek 50 yards below camp that ran really cold. We also had a pit dug close by with a steel cover, not that that kept the bears out.

      Delete
    3. Oh yeah Linda ... the waxed paper that melted in the sun!! That was always fun!!

      Delete
  4. It amazes me how those pieces look like a curled ribbon when you put them in place!
    Linda Sand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that something? Who thinks of this stuff?? Better yet, who figures out a way to make all those pieces ... it's actually easier than it looks.

      Delete
  5. If there is one thing I most regret in life, it's the fact that I've done so little horseback riding. I haven't done very much of it to be very good at it, but I sure enjoyed the little I have done.
    Good for you to get out to do it.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had a blast riding horses all my life ... well, except for the last few years ... and I didn't realize how much I miss it. There's something about being close to a horse that can't be explained.

      Delete
  6. That quilt is going to be a stunner!!
    Your tacos sure look good... we have them at least
    once a week.
    With your solar up and running, why do you need to
    shut everything down at 4pm? You wouldn’t be
    using their power......maybe? Lol
    Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ... I think the quilt will be a winner! With the AC units going, I'm using more electricity than I am producing at the moment. Between 4 and 9 pm, any I use over what I produce will be charged at almost $1 a kWh. In the spring and fall, I'll be producing more than I'm using, but as of now, I don't have a clue what that will be. At the end of the year they do a "true up" and charge you for anything you used over what you produced. Some people have gotten stuck with a $1,000 bill. So I'm being conservative for the time being.

      Delete
  7. Oh darn, forgot to add name....
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely send you the pattern .. I never want to make it again!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cindy says that will be great. She does get help with cutting and trimming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That trimming is half the battle on this one!!!

      Delete