Thursday, May 5, 2022

There's Small And Then There's TINY

It was another beautiful sunny morning in California.  Happy Cinco de Mayo!!  Today we all get to eat tacos!!!  

I was early to rise, but somehow time got away from me yet again.  I had plans, but cancelled them as I have so many other days.  Instead of driving out of town to find the clothing stores closed, and emptying my wallet at the gas station, I stayed home and went bananas in my closet.  

I'm donating two huge garbage bags full of stuff I never wear, or things that I love but were way too small.  At least those shirts weren't as old as the Levis.  I admit, in some cases I don't know what possessed me to buy them.  

The ruffled mini skirt was the first to go, along with six more pencil skirts I used to wear to work.  That was before I began the protest by wearing Levis with suit jackets and high heels.  At least I was half dressed to the nines.  

Oh look ... now I have room for more clothes!!!!  No worries though, if Prince Charming shows up, that closet will be cleared out in ten seconds to make room!!

I checked the critter cam to see if Foxy stopped by.  Sure enough, he came early for a nice chew bone on this morning.  There were six other videos where he just passed by.  I must be the Highway 99 to his house, maybe Route 66 to his hunting grounds, because they pass through here many times a night.  Last night I moved the camera to see just where they are coming in.  Tonight I'll move it again to see where they are heading.


And then I did THIS!  It's always a danger to go to the quilt store for a small piece of binding fabric.  Binding is like socks around here.  I buy it when I buy the fabric for the quilt, I pin a note on it saying exactly what it's for ..... and just like my socks in the dryer, it magically disappears.

The danger comes in when I spot something hanging on the wall in the store.  WOW!!!!  Look at THAT!!!  One of the most amazing quilts I've ever seen called A Ribbon Runs Through It.

The block-a-month pattern is actually two every month, ending in December.   My mouth watered, my adrenaline shot up like a zip line ride ..... I'LL TAKE IT!!!  Of course I'm 5 months behind, so they gave me all the packages required to date.  I spent the first two hours just cutting fabric for one square.

Little did I know it also required all kinds of chatchkeys in order to make the cutting and marking easier.  Add another $40.  If you didn't know, quilting can be a VERY expensive hobby!!  I quickly finished up the one I had on the wall and started on this one about noon.  It took me an hour just to figure out what to cut. The directions are good, but a little hard to figure out.

I cut and sewed, cut and sewed until my back was cussing like a sailor.  Okay ... time for a little food.  I opened the fridge to find eggs, half and half and cheese.  There was plenty of Cooper food, but nothing easy for me.  

I defrosted some more of those pork cutlets and got out the last package of Knorr parmesan noodles.  Let me just say do NOT buy any Knorr noodles.  If this wasn't the last package, I'd toss them in the trash.  I even used a REAL plate, hoping that would make it taste better.  It didn't

THIS made up for it.  The plan was to take this lovely Marie Callendar chocolate pie to the rally for happy hour.  What could make you happier than chocolate pie?  Not so sadly, there was no room for that big box in my fridge, which means I get to eat the whole thing!!


Back to sewing .... I literally spent the entire day cutting and sewing this one 12" square.  There are over twenty five 12" squares in the entire thing, not counting the edging and borders.  Me thinks I got in a little over my head.


Why you ask?  Because there are 117 ... yes 117 not small, but teeny tiny pieces in this ONE square.  It took me almost an entire day just to put this together and I've got SO many more to go!!  

SO ... I dedicate this one to Cindy Warner, who makes amazing quilts from teeny tiny pieces.  I don't know how you do it girl!!!  This will probably be my once in a lifetime quilt.  One thing I can say about quilting, it keeps me out of the fridge!


I'm guessing the next square will take more than one day, since it's Cinco De Mayo night at the Elks Lodge, followed by a long meeting.  Yawn ..........


9 comments:

  1. By my math there under 3000 pieces in the finished quilt. Cindy tells me you gotta use the scraps. She made one quilt with about 5700 small pieces. The one she is working on now has 3000 2 1/2" half square triangle squares in it. Guess who get to do all the cutting and squaring up? Yep, her built in cutter and quilter. ( She wonders why I go through so many rotary cutter blades!) Good luck with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interesting thing is you guys can do it in a week. This will probably take me a couple of months to finish. I'll be blind by then!!!

      Delete
  2. I remember going to Marie Callendar's as a kid and getting a huge slice of Strawberry Pie, must have been 5 inches tall smothered in whipped cream. Now days it is hard to find a Marie Callendar that is still open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mrs Fields Cookies .... anyone seen one of those lately? LOVE Marie's cooking!! Much better than mine!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, you are a very enjoyable blogger! I laugh
    so often🤗. You must be a great quilter as this
    quilt seems complicated to me. Don’t forget to give
    us a peek as you go along.
    Pie always hits the spot. I buy the M C frozen
    fruit pies that need to be baked. So good.
    Thanks for sharing your days with us!
    Linda a.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda!!! I have to laugh at myself a lot too!! I do love that dutch apple pie also!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you ... it's going to be pretty cool if I ever get it finished!!

      Delete
  5. I apologize for being tardy in my reading! Seems other than my blog and playing games in hardly on line much.
    Love the quilt. I love even more how you challenge yourself!
    That pie!! Drooling here.

    ReplyDelete