Sunday, May 15, 2022

Broncs and Bierocks

 What could be better than waking up knowing you were going to a quilt store??  My name is Nancy and I'm addicted to fabric.  There really was another reason to head South ... a more important reason.  I was meeting up with good friends Barbara and Tom.  But first ... Mr. Bill Pickett!

Anyone who has been around rodeo knows the name Bill Pickett.  Born in December of 1870, he was one of thirteen children (yikes!) born to Thomas, a former slave, and Mary "Janie".  That meant his ancestry was African American and Cherokee Indian.

Bill left the fifth grade to become a ranch hand, working with the longhorn cattle of Texas.  It was known at the time that a bulldog (the real dog kind) could catch and hold a stray steer.  Bill thought he could do the same thing ... jump from his horse onto a steer and wrestle it to the ground by biting it's lip.  Bulldogging, or steer wresting was born.  It's what you see in rodeos today.


With four of his brothers, he established the Pickett Brothers Bronco Busters and Rough Riding Association.  He did his bulldogging act and became a hit!  In 1905 he joined the Miller Brothers 101 Ranch Wild West Show with Buffalo Bill, Will Rogers, Tom Mix and others.  He performed under the name The Dusky Demon.  


Unfortunately because he was black, he was not allowed at many rodeos, so he changed his ancestry to Comanche.  In 1921 he hit the movie industry, appearing in The Bull-Dogger and The Crimson Skull.  He finally retired in 1932 at the age of 62, but was kicked in the head by a bronc horse and died.  He is buried at the 101 Ranch that he loved.  

THAT is why I was watching the Bill Pickett Invitational Rodeo a couple days ago.  That's ALSO why I was watching these "bull fighters", the rodeo clowns that save lives.  All I can say is these guys are either crazy in the head, or VERY brave.  This is just a shot of my TV with my way-too-old phone.  Several got bull-mauled, but I guess it was worth it to win the $30,000 prize money.  


Finally it was time to head on off to my appointment in Fresno.  I arrived fairly early, with only one small piece of fabric in mind.  Here's my problem ... everything there is flowery.  I'm not exactly a flowery person ... I'm in to cowboy.  There was absolutely none to be found.

Did I tell you that binding for these quilts is like socks in the dryer?  They seem to disappear into thin air.  I had all those pieces in a box just waiting to be sewn, when three of them vanished.  Surely in this huge store I can find ONE piece.  I finally found it, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the match.  It only cost me $7 for half a yard (which tells you the price of fabric is now up to $14 a yard), so no big deal if I don't use it.  Just the backing material alone is usually 4-7 yards.  Uh huh --- expensive!

Hunger was setting in and it was time to meet up with Barbara and Tom.  I only saw them once at the RV rally for just a few minutes.   With Covid and all, it's been way too long.  We hit the Beerocks Shop for some bierocks and potato salad.  I can't tell you how nice it is to have something other than Taco Bell and Habit Burgers.  The food was delicious!


Barbara had these great 4" stickers made up for our Golden Spike RV Club.  That's the second reason for the trip.  We will give them out to everyone at the next rally ... whenever that will be.


In a flash, two hours went by as we chatted about everything under the sun.  All the while, I kept my eye on the pie showcase.  Hey, I wasn't the only one!!  Although I would have brought home some bierocks, I would have needed an ice chest.  These just sat on the seat of the truck and whispered sweet nothings into my ear.


It was a fabulous day with good friends.  We have to do that more often!!  

Coming up next ... a true Wolf Man full moon eclipse is happening tonight .... if I can stay awake that long!!  Really it's the flower moon ... just like the fabric in that quilt shop.


9 comments:

  1. Ok, you got BOTH OF US...neither of us had heard of a bierock before. Interesting....and those pot pies sure look good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bierocks originated in Russia and Germany. Hand held pies went to work for lunch. They are pretty rare to find now.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of Bill Pickett, very interesting story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you had not heard the name. He was pretty famous among the Wild West Shows, but maybe more so for being a great ranch hand, which is where I heard of him.

      Delete
  3. Nancy. the material here in Canada is $19 to 24.99 a meter. Most fat quarters are between 4.50 and 5.50 each. I live close to the border thank goodness. Your prices are so reasonable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!!! I remember when we traveled through Canada and stopped at a couple of shops. Yes they were expensive! I probably could not afford to quilt in Canada!

      Delete
  4. I Googled bierock. There was a question....what's the difference between bierock and runza? Huh???? Interesting info about Bill Pickett. Elva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently runzas are the German version of the same thing. That's one I've never heard of! Pretty hard to find both these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bierocks look and sound delicious!! Is nene heard of them either.
    The press also, yum!
    Great memories are made with good friends. I like the stickers too!

    ReplyDelete