Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Can You Smell THAT?

Some days it just pays to stay in bed.  If it paid a little more, I might just stay there.  The sun seems to be coming up earlier and earlier, shortening my peaceful coffee hour.  That's when I discovered my sprinklers have not been coming on for several days and my lawn is turning brown.  Investigation will begin after everyone in the house is fed. 

For the moment, I'm back in Jackson, heading to Sutter Creek for a look see.  As many times as I wandered up here when I was much younger, I never made it to Sutter Creek.  I don't think I even knew Sutter Creek was there.  All these little towns have now become tourist attractions.

In the meantime, the Golden Spike folks rode this train pulled by Old Number 28.  They were also regaled with stories of how many movies these trains were in, including Go West, Bound For Glory, Young Dog and Something Wicked Comes This Way.  


It is no longer the ride it used to be due to track maintenance.  It's very hard to keep these tracks in "official" working order.  If they aren't certified, the little train can't go far.  Honestly though, it's the click clack and the chunking noises that make for a good train.  This one has it in spades!!  These two pictures are from Patti Painter.


I was off to check out Sutter Creek, but 9:00 was just a tad bit too early for this sleepy little town, even though it was Tourist Saturday!!  Luckily I found a parking spot right on Main Street, making it easier to dump all my purchases.  


That's my white truck on the left ... barely fitting into the parking lines.  Town was silent.  I headed up the hill, paying more attention to the architecture of the buildings than the store contents.  Not that it mattered, because every single store was closed.


This General Merchandise store (now museum) was my goal, but alas, it too was closed, not to open it's doors until 11:00 am.  The inside looks to be original with floor to ceiling shelves and long counters.  I'll just have to come back!!


Brick walls are always a draw, looking for old wording and advertisements.  Even with computer enhancement, I couldn't find anything on this wall.  About here though, came the wafting smell of FOOD!!  Can you smell that??  Oh my gosh ... breakfast was being cooked in two of the tiny restaurants!  I wish I had not eaten earlier!


This image looks a little weird because I messed with it in Photoshop to be able to read the sign.  Brignole Estate Co. General Merchandise.  Part of the store was built by a man name Molinari in 1859.  Brignoli (spelled two different ways) purchased the building and added on another structure made of greenstone from the surrounding area.  This he turned into a store to mine the miners of their gold without all the hard work.


By the way, any store on this street would make a good quilt store.  I did stop in one open shop to try on some shirts.  It was a tight squeeze to fit in the old metal telephone control box changing room (smaller than my shower) without hitting your head, then closing the steel door and sitting down to check out the look in the mirror which was at five-year-old height. 

I was pretty shocked when I saw the price tag.  $228 ..... FOR A SHIRT!!  I gingerly took it off, backed out of the changing room and put it back on the rack!


As you come into town, you cross Sutter Creek, well known for it's gold.  Now THIS would be the perfect spot for a cup of coffee.


I have to say there were more wine tasting rooms than I've ever seen in one spot, none of which were open anyway.  If you come here on the weekend, make it after 11:00.  Next time I'll partake of what was causing all those smells to make my stomach growl!!!  I'm not kidding, it was a total distraction!!!

Sunday morning we all packed up and headed out.  I made sure to hook up my rig early when no one was watching.  It went well!  After saying goodbyes, I was heading off back home.

I am having a tad bit of trouble adjusting the brakes however.  If I slow down, then lift my foot off the brake, then slow down again, the trailer tires will lock up.  I was adjusting like crazy driving down the road and every stop sign was a trial.  

Luckily at this moment it was better since red lights were flashing everywhere.  Apparently there is something going on in Jackson ... a pioneer gold rush of horses and wagons heading into town.  What a nice way to end the trip.


I made it home with no problems, by-passing all the freeway construction as best I could.  Backing into my driveway was a disaster!  You should see all the black marks on the concrete.  I got her in after several attempts however.  Seems I'm getting worse at that rather than better.

And so we are back to normal, or as normal as I can be .... it's BINGO time!!


8 comments:

  1. Too bad Sutter Creek opens so late...it (the old part) is a nice little town. When I was 19 I road my bike (12 speed) from South Sac to Sutter Creek. My goal was Jackson but the day I picked to do this was the HOTTEST day of the year that year. Mom and Dad came and got me, by the time they arrived the blood was flowing back into my legs again and I 'might' have made it to Jackson, but getting to Sutter Creek was good enough. (Back then they did not have as good of bikes as they do now days...well, ones that average people could afford)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Dave ... that was a LONG bike ride!!! I was surprised at the size of the "new" town.

      Delete
  2. I don't think we'll ever make it to Sutter Creek, so thanks for the tour and hopefully to get to see the inside of the stores another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll go back again just to see the museum and the old buildings. I love those tin ceilings!!

      Delete
  3. I love that whole area, but we haven't been antiquing in quite awhile. I'll be over that way later this month (to feed the grandson while mom and dad are away) maybe I can grab my sisters and head there on a Saturday :) $228.00 for a shirt! OUCH! Pretty cool horses and wagons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love it Shirley. Go early for parking spaces and have breakfast before shopping. Really cool buildings and a fun place to hang out.

      Delete
  4. Definitely an expensive shirt.
    We all have our bad days backing our trailers. You'll get over it and start doing it like a pro.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty funny Rick!! I keep hoping I'll do better!

      Delete