Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Packing It In .....

I need a bigger truck.  It seems I always have more than I have room for.  I'm hauling all the fabric and unfinished quilts back with the idea of finishing them up and of course hauling them all BACK to quilt the first of the year on my new longarm.  I can't wait!!  

The generator also has to go to it's new home inside my fifth wheel.  Add to that camera gear, twelve kinds of doggie treats ... okay, there are only five, but still ..... dog food, bird food, clothes, hats, boots ... sheesh!!!  Not to mention the new ice chest to haul enough food for the kids to last a couple of days.

Oh and cookies for me ..... don't forget the cookies!!!  There's barely going to be room for Cooper!!

I spent much of the day watching this guy on the palm tree.  I think he's a baby since his chest is really light.  Maybe even my baby from out front since he doesn't seem to know the routine.  Hummingbird feeder ownership by these guys is highly disputed.


Since I've never seen a white-throated hummer, this also may be a baby.  They are both very tiny.  I love the way he curls up his little feet.


These babies flap their wings 80 times per second.  Pretty impressive!  In case you were wondering, Ana's hummingbirds can travel at around 60 mph.  Woohoo!!  When at rest, their heart rate is around 225 beats per minute and jumps up to 1200 per minute when they are flying.  

Rufous hummingbirds which we see here occasionally, travel over 3700 miles from Mexico to Alaska.  Pretty impressive!  The smallest of over 10,000 species of birds, they weight in around .7 ounces with an average temperature of 105-108.  No wonder they are hot, with all that speed!!


Not a great picture, but with all the rain, heat, rain and more heat, those caterpillars that Doug and I walked through in Fairbanks Arizona, all hatched at the same time.  There are literally millions of them flying around.  Walk across my grass and you would think confetti is falling from the sky.  They move so quickly this slightly blurry picture is all I could get.

Cooper caught one and spit it out immediately.  Apparently they don't taste so good!!


So I'm off this morning after completely packing everything in my truck.  Hopefully there's enough room for Jonathan in the back.  It's going to be a tight fit!!


8 comments:

  1. The fire is knocking on the door of Lake Tahoe, which has been evacuated...I think the only thing that is going to stop this beast is when it hits treeless Nevada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that. Doesn't look good. They should have been expecting this.

      Delete
  2. Have safe travels!
    We always seem to find room for things in our vehicles, etc. :)
    Love the last hummer picture, you captured those wings as if they were still and that's awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Hummingbirds. Safe travels

    ReplyDelete