Thursday, September 9, 2021

Ants In My Pants!!

 It's full on WAR again.  Nothing unusual in my house it seems.  There I was, leaning over the bathroom sink when OUCH!!  Something bit me!!!  And it burns!!!

I looked down to see dozens of ants running across the top of the counter, which were now all over the front of me!!  I think that's the best break dancing I've ever done.  You surely know how it is when you feel something crawling on you.  KILL IT before it bites you!  I wasn't fast enough.

This is my peaceful back yard.  You definitely wouldn't think there was anything lurking out there that wanted to kill you.  If you could only look underground it would probably scare you to death.  There is no better sandy soil for ants, than this.  I think I've even mentioned when you buy a house, there is a disclosure (in very teeny tiny ant print) about living on HUGE ant colonies.


Just what are they good for??  Here's one of the bigger holes.  All that stuff to the right is what they have dug out of the hole so they can be comfy cozy!  What they eat is beyond me, other than all the ant killer products I have poured down their holes.


Back to the sink, I finally discovered they were coming up from an inside wall and THROUGH the middle of a crappy piece of plywood that supports the countertop.  I tried some Amdro ant killer in the corner, but they weren't the least bit interested.


After much detective work, it seems they were coming up over the counter and into the overflow drain in the sink.  So they are looking for water?  Good grief, my lawn is flooded with water every other day, as evidenced by my PGE bill.  

I grabbed a cup and began dumping water down the overflow.  Ants poured out by the dozens as I frantically tried to wash them down the sink.  Unlike most critters, these guys have suction cups for feet and went up and over the edge ..... right where I was standing!  MORE ants in my pants!!  I was slapping right and left, kind of like doing the Macarena!!


I mean really ... most insects have SOME purpose ... what the heck are ants good for??  I spent over an hour killing and cleaning up the mess.  Every day I find and kill another dozen or so.  I'm feeling defeated!!  The Amdro remains untouched.


To make matters worse, apparently I didn't notice at least three that went to bed with me.  I woke up with three huge ant bites that burn and itch like crazy.  I seem to have a pretty good reaction to them so I've moved to the kitchen sink for teeth brushing.


I have to admit, there is some sense of satisfaction the more I kill.  I need just a little fuel for the generator, but I'm getting a BIG can and filling it to the brim.  It's the only thing that has worked in the past.  No worries, I won't light it!!  In the meantime, the Amdro remains completely untouched!!

Coming up next ... the interesting story of Doc Holliday.  Everyone knows him from the shootout in Tombstone, but just how did he get there?


14 comments:

  1. If it isn't skunks, it's ants. What's a girl to do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I prefer the skunks. At least they are outside!! LOL

      Delete
  2. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7487.html#:~:text=In%20Southern%20California%27s%20Orange%20County%20and%20in%20the,Agricultural%20Commissioner%20may%20provide%20treatment%20in%20some%20areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I use Amdro for fire ants, but so far these guys aren't biting, so to speak. The problem is the bait pieces are so big, they can't carry it back to their colony. I'll keep trying though!! Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. The next time you decide to do some dancing like this when nobody’s watching would you please video it I have an appropriate spot for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVVXtknZVf0
    Apparently you’ve had a lot of rain And that’s what drives them in the house
    In the house
    Here are the effective ways that you can use to kill fire ants without chemicals: Dish soap/liquid and water: Make a solution of one part of dish soap and two parts of water. ... You can spray this solution on the ants to suffocate them and thus killing them you can use Dawn dish soap the soap sticks to the body and kills them
    For the yard
    On the outside use(a large bag )granulated fire ant killer in the lawn spreader
    After you do the lawn the first time wait until you have a good rain when the ground dries do it a second time. (put an extra row of granular around the house foundation perimeter)
    We have them here in Florida I spray my yard twice a year with BIFEN and I have no bugs
    I’d much rather they visit my neighbor but Ants do provide a service but I can do very well without them in my yard

    https://www.thoughtco.com/what-good-are-ants-1968090

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would much rather they visit someone else's house too!! Outside I can deal with them. Inside ... they need to DIE!!! LOL

      Delete
  4. Are you using Amdro for Fire Ants??? There are two types of Amdro. I would do what you are going to do, BUT also get some Amdro for Fire Ants and spread around the outside of the house close to the walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It says it's Amdro for Fire Ants. I haven't put it around the outside of the house because of the dog. I did put it around my bathroom sink, but the grains are so big, they can't carry them back to the colony. I'll keep trying.

      Delete
  5. Eek! I'm with Doug. First skunks, spiders, scorpions and now ants??!!
    Mister Ed seems to have a solution. Good luck!
    (why am I itching all of a suddern?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha ... me too Patsy!!! I freak out every time I think I feel something on my arm!!!

      Delete
  6. Geez, if it ain't one thing it's another! Good luck with your ant war!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's God's way of keeping me moving!! I'd be happy if they just stayed outside!!!

      Delete