Tuesday, August 31, 2021

OOPS .... It's Dark!!

 I just cannot explain the crazy weather in Arizona.  We have mostly blue skies with lightning directly overhead, followed instantly by thunder that hurts your ears.  I mean SCARY thunder cracks like I've never heard before.  This is my house at the moment, dark because there's no electricity.  It flickered once, then gave up the ghost.  

Perfect timing on that generator, eh??  At least I will be able to run it for maybe ten minutes to charge my phone.  Only ten minutes??  Yeah because Nancy didn't get any gas for it.  It has to ride inside the truck on the way back to Cali and I didn't want Jonathan to die from the fumes.


It was a beautiful morning as I wandered downtown for an oil change on the truck.  Good thing I got there early because within ten minutes the waiting room was full and overflowing.  It took about an hour, but Baby is purring like a kitten and everything else checks out okay.

If you need any mechanical work in Tucson, Ray Scotts Automotive is really awesome.  His son is my neighbor and they are great guys to work with.

I stopped in at Taco Bell for lunch and tried out their frozen lemonade.  Doesn't look like lemonade, nor does it taste like it.  It's very acidic, but cooling on a hot day.


Thankfully they haven't changed their tacos.  I do love them, they just don't like ME all that much.


I forgot to tell you about my favorite around-the-house tool.  The TONGS.  They work overtime for things like picking up dropped screws behind the washing machine and light bulbs from the top shelf.


They work exceptionally well for picking up things like this.  A dead scorpion on his back.  EXCEPT he wasn't so dead after all and went ballistic when I picked him up.  I jumped back and of course dropped him.  It took me five more minutes to catch him again.  Man I hate these guys!!!  All I can say is he's dead now!!


Once he was dispatched, I went out front to tidy up the ditch.  Wasn't I surprised to find a nice geyser watering the plants.  Apparently I nicked the underground drip lines.  More digging and finally a patch took care of that problem.  

Besides knocking the power out, the rains came down in another torrent.  My waterway worked to perfection.  It's going to get a facelift as soon as I can find the right kind of pipe to lay in the bottom.  I found some corrugated metal pipe for $239.00 EACH.  That's a little high for my budget.  In the meantime, this is working right nicely.

This blast came from the opposite direction as the last one and no rain fell inside the house.  Yay!!  Just to be sure however, I'm leaving a big tub directly underneath until a roofing guy can be contacted.


I have to give it up to Tucson Electric Power.  Unlike California where you would have to wait for two days to get power back, the lights came back on in 45 minutes.  Amazing, since they charge only 1/3 the cost of California electricity.


One thing the desert rains bring with them is amazing sunsets.  I could see every color of the rainbow in this one.  In person, the colors are just spectacular ... a sky of purple.  

As for now, I'm back to packing!!  Bingo is calling my name.


6 comments:

  1. I have short and long tongs like that! My long ones are also used to reach things on the top shelf of our pantry. I use them a lot!
    Scorpion! Eeek!
    Good job on the temporary drainage ditch, working like a charm. Such a beautiful sunset!💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tongs also open and close my RV vents! LOL.

      Delete
  2. Used to love Taco Bell, but haven't been in years now. Glad you didn't grab a paper towel to pick up the scorpion! That is a gorgeous sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope on the paper towel. Anything, whether dead or alive, gets the tongs!!

      Delete
  3. Put a newspaper in the bottom of your tub, it might just leak a little and then the tub dries out and you would not know if it leaked...but the newspaper would show the sign of the leak for sure 'if' it shows up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I actually put a towel in the bottom to keep the water from splattering all over. Newspaper is a good idea!! Hopefully there won't be any weird winds until I get back.

      Delete