Saturday, August 21, 2021

We Interrupt The Wyatt Story ....

Because we went to the Zoo!!  If it's a hot day and you just want to get out of the house, the Tucson Zoo is a great place to hang out.  Almost the entire park is covered with trees and shade covers with benches everywhere.  Of course the bugs are out in force, but some OFF will help keep them at bay.

It happened that I turned the wrong direction upon leaving the train station and got stuck in construction.  With no way out, I just kept driving until I spotted a golf course.  HEY!!  I bet the ZOO is around here somewhere, and sure enough, it was two blocks away.  The entrance is a little difficult to find, but with the help of the lady at the bus stop, I got to the parking lot.

I'm pretty sure this enclosure had tigers in it previously.  It's now the Wild Dog exhibit with five of them running back and forth on the same trail.  Sad really. 


This huge guy ... and I mean he hasn't missed a meal in forever ... was lounging under the trees.  


When I walked behind him for a closeup, he wasn't happy at all.  Very wary these guys.  When he started to get up, I backed off.  No use interrupting his snooze time.


Who would have thought, they even have an alligator.  I imagine the hot weather doesn't bother him at all.


Keep in mind this is a rather small zoo, but with BIG occupants.  I don't think I've ever seen a Zebra this "healthy".  At least you know everyone is well fed.


The entire place is a muddy mess, but most of the inhabitants like that part.  They wallow around in the mud (like the rhino paddock here) to keep the flies at bay.


Mom giraffe is the smart one ... she remained inside the building with the air conditioning on.  The two younger ones headed out for the tasty branch tied on a pole.


This beauty, about 15 inches long, was outside running amok chasing down his buggy dinner.


Of course these guys are one of my favorites.  Only the female was visible, cleaning her paws like any good kitty.


She rubbed her eyes and ears like your local house cat.


Another heat lover, the meerkats, were hard at it chowing down breakfast.  They seem to be used to the hot weather, although it really wasn't too bad on this day.  One stayed far to the right sitting up the entire time, keeping a lookout for danger.  These kids are so funny to watch!  They were all trying to get to something underneath the lettuce. 


Hearing lots of growly noises, I wandered over to the anteater area.  Either this guy is being territorial, or there's a beautiful sexy girl on the other side of that fence.  He was going crazy marching back and forth yelling pretty loudly!!  She just turned and looked the other way.  Good luck buddy!!


There's a nice little plot of flamingos, all of whom were sleeping on one foot except this lady ... or maybe it's a male.  She was gathering rocks and chunks of mud in her beak and placing them around her to make a nest.  There may be some babies in their future.

There are many more critters, but during the week they have the option of remaining indoors, and most did due to the heat I'm sure.

There's one more big section of the zoo to see, but it will have to wait for lack of blog space.  I don't want to inundate you with pictures.  I watched (from rather far away) as a baby elephant began to play in a mud hole.  I began snapping pictures.  Another bigger baby joined him.  200 pictures later, I now have to wade through them to find a few to post.  They were having a blast ..... and so was I.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the trip to the Zoo! Your pictures are great! I love to see all those critters in an outdoor setting (far enough from me). The zebra and giraffe markings are striking and brilliant! I'm trying to figure out the anteater though. What is the 'arm' that extends towards the camera? I guess I don't really know what one looks like up close. Thanks for showing me!
    The flamingos are at the opposite end of the beauty spectrum, so delicate looking. I'd love to see babies and can't wait to see the baby elephant photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is his really big right front leg. They have huge front legs and big claws for digging in ant hills. They are also lighter in color than the rest of him, making it look kind of weird.

      Delete
  2. A zoo, which is properly built and operated, is a good thing. Salt Lake City, Washington DC, Memphis, even Sacramento's zoo (due to childhood memories) are my favorites. But I have also been to a few which should not be open. Some of these mid-size towns think they can properly operate a zoo, and the fact is they are too small, it cost too much money, it is a bad thing. (Never been to San Diego's, I am sure it would be on my good list for sure.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The San Diego zoo is probably the best in the country. Definitely a must see, but plan on maybe two days, it's that big. This one is pretty small, but the critters seem to have plenty of room. The only one not out was the grizzly bear who stayed inside where it was cooler.

      Delete
  3. One day a friend and I took the kids to the Sacramento zoo. An orangutan was playing with a box. He was very entertaining. He put the box on his head and we were howling with laughter. He stopped playing, looked us, turned around and lifted his butt at us. We scattered! It's amazing how smart they are. Elva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very smart critters. Honestly, I can't imagine being locked up in an area, even if you get a great meal every day. I suppose I can see it if they can't fend for themselves, but it's kind of sad to see anything locked up. Next time applaud him and see what happens! LOL

      Delete