Friday, August 27, 2021

At Long Last .... We Hit Paydirt!

Time is getting short again when I wander off to other parts of the country.  It alway seems like I'm playing catchup trying to get everything finished before exit day.  Since the UPS guy ran into my driveway alarm, I've been trying to figure out how to mount it somewhere unaccessible.  

Previously the "eye" part was broken (probably the same way) and I called Guardline to order another one.  They actually sent me an entire unit FREE, which is the one that got smashed this time.  I kept the old one and was actually able to find it.  I took the backing plate off the old and put it on the new (now broken) unit.  Voila ... one entire unit back in working order.  Up on the garage it went this time and seems to be working just fine.  YAY!!  It's the dark brown thing.


You could probably hear me yahooing yesterday when at long last, I have a generator for the fifth wheel.  No, it's not red.  I had my little heart set on a Honda Companion generator after being on the internet and Facebook for days learning more about them than I ever wanted to know.  Watts, amps and all that stuff are hard to put together and understand.  

So off to Camping World I went to order a Honda 2200.  Not my favorite place, but they are about the only ones around here with any kind of supply.  Sadly, there was no RED in sight.  They are not only out, but so is every supplier they have, so the nice kid called Honda.  No generators will be forthcoming for over four months, with at least another month shipping time.  Even then, they won't guarantee I would get one.

So much for my 30 amp plug on the front, which was my choice just because it's easier without so many adaptors.  Surprisingly, Camping World actually had my next choice, a Cummins Onan 2500 with a 20 amp plug.  Just a little more bang for the buck, weighs the same and is just as quiet.  The big one in my old rig was a Onan and purred like a kitten.

It being a floor model (the only one left) and with my membership, I got a total of 15% off the price, making it even less than the Champions they had stacked up on the wall.  They are all made or assembled in China, so there's not much choice when it comes to that.  It also ended up being $450 cheaper than the Honda and has a 3 year warranty.  PAYDIRT!!


Of course I went straight to Mr. Chance's house for a test run.  He put a little fuel in it and with 2 or 3 pulls, it started right up.  It has Econo mode (even quieter) if you're not running the microwave and I think even has a shut-it-off-with-your-phone feature, but I haven't read the book yet.  That will be today's pastime.   I was even able to lift it out of the truck and put it back.  The real test will be when I return.  I plan on dry camping in Quartzsite for a day or two.  

In case you were wondering, no I cannot run my AC unit without a second generator.  If it's that hot, I'll be at the nearest RV park with a 50 amp hookup!!

With no more rain and hot days, the water station has had visitors again.  I've learned the coyote family hunts pretty much by themselves at night, gathering back up by howling their position to each other.  When you hear all that yelping, you know the pack is together again, telling tall tales of their exploits before their morning nap.  Wait for it .... you will see a second pair of eyes.


The javelinas are back too, seeking out a nice cool drink.  These guys don't generally have a home base, but three or four bases.  They like big soft sandy sights for their daytime naps.  They must be in heaven with all the grass that's growing like crazy everywhere.  Weeds abound!!!

Upon closer inspection, my water pipe was clogged, as it gets every so often due to the hardness of the water.  That's make the water pretty nasty looking.  I spent about an hour last night cleaning everything out before opening the valve and running it until the water ran clear.  The local kids again have clean water to drink.  

It's time for Cooper and I to hit the road for our morning walk.  It's always fun to see if he catches a whiff of those bunny rabbits!!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new addition! Small, quiet and easy enough to lift are all bonuses. I agree about the a/c for you, set up in an rv park for the hot days. 'Quartzsite for a couple of days' - that's what I read. Yay! Maybe we'll be able to camp together yet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my plan to catch up with you somewhere .... hoping you guys get down this way.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the new generator! It'll be great when you can try it out. That's something about the Honda generators, but like other things not surprising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they had a reasonable supply until that big hurricane and flooding in Texas. That seems to be when everything in stock was sold.

      Delete
  3. Sorry I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you’re wrong . you can run your AC with your generator Add an added cost though
    They have an easy start kit that you hook up to your AC unit it’s called a soft start when you’re hooked up to 30 amp RV plug an you turn on your RV air conditioning and you hear that slam start you exceed the wattage of your generator and it will kick out your generator however with the soft start it doesn’t do that It starts slow that way your generator can handle the kick.. I have had this argument with people 15 years ago In fact we were doing that on MCI coaches back in the mid -80s
    Including the fact that they tell me you can’t run an air conditioner with solar panels well guess what >.. it’s almost standard operating procedure on some of the new small RV vehicles Trouble Is it took the RV manufacturers 10 years to do it
    It’s still a good generator it is a re-brand generator from Westinghouse It has a peak wattage of 20 A with a continuous wattage of 18 which is basically standard for most generators.
    Now with that all said… you could run your air conditioner no problem the only issue you will have . you can’t run your microwave or your heater motor at the same time because combining both of those amount of Wattage it will trip your generator with that particular size generator that you have

    You may have to cut and paste

    https://awegoo.com/products/softstartrv-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be interesting to see if you could run the AC with just one 20 amp plug since the inverter and battery charging takes up a percentage of that, even if you have every light off. Would definitely need a soft start. But really, if it's that hot, I'll be in an RV park with BOTH air conditioners running. LOL

      Delete
  4. In March I got a WEN 2350-Watt Inverter/Generator. It will run the A/C, but I have to be sure that I flip the circuit breaker for the converter (to charge batteries) because it will also kick on and shut the generator down due to overload. We used it once at Cracker Barrel while having early dinner with Marcia's cousin...had the A/C on for Indy...until the converter kicked on, which is how I knew it can't handle both. Got it from Amazon for around $450.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave
      a lot of the new smaller WINNEBAGO
      TRAVATO are coming out now have an option They’re using a 250 W solar panel with lithium ion batteries They use a soft start for their RV air conditioner A lot of that technology has been out there for eons A lot of the electronic companies don’t want to embrace it because it cost more money Per unit $15 for a capacitor opposed to 250 for a soft start
      however a lot of the Techno geeks Are changing the minds of a lot of engineers in the RV industry for what the customer wants for a light duty application
      When you get to the Prevo / Newell’s MCI coaches They’ve been using that technology for years
      I think it comes down to the engineers want you to spend more $$$ money on a bigger unit that you don’t need Because there too cheap to add it on And it lowers their bottom line
      And like you said as long as you don’t go hogwild turning other equipment on your RV and just using your AC that’s the key to keeping Yourself cool the only other limitation is your Fuel burn time
      That’s why an APU (auxiliary power unit)on my class A truck is tied into the Diesel fuel tank Being more efficient I burn 1 1/4 gal. in a 24 hour. Day It not only runs my air conditioning or heater it also An engine block heater

      Delete
    2. That's it Dave ... you have to be sure everything else is completely turned off.

      Delete
  5. Nice generator! I am sure it will do all your generator needs and then some. Try it out at home with an extension cord and make coffee or toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Marlene .... good idea!!!!! I would certainly rather it not work at home than mess up something electrical in my rig that I don't know how to fix!!

      Delete