Sunday, August 29, 2021

Plans Gone Awry!!

As you all are probably aware, I'm not one to enjoy traumatic things happening at my age.  I just want everything to go along smoothly with NO interruptions.  It was going along so well until yesterday, which put an end to all that GOOD stuff so mother nature could throw in a little BAD.

At least I'm not in New Orleans, which is currently being hit with a category 3, possibly 4 hurricane, but we got a very small sample of it.  Crazy rain and extreme winds hit us yesterday afternoon.  In the middle of that the hail came down so hard and loud it sounded like it would break my windows.  It was all going sideways straight into the side of my house.  


I tried to open the patio slider for some pictures, but got soaked through the three inch hole in a matter of seconds.  My patio cover is 15 feet across and the rain was coming inside so much I had to mop the floor after opening the door.


My gutters were overloaded even before the hard rains came down.  The TV went off, then the power went out for a short time about 4:30, but luckily came right back on.  The warnings on my phone went crazy, including a dust storm?  How does that happen in this much rain?


That's when I heard it.  Plop ... plop ... PLOP!!  Instantly I knew what it was.  I've got a leak in my roof!!  I ran to the garage and grabbed a bucket.  The floor was considerably wet before the plop was heard.


You can barely see the crack in the ceiling at the bottom end of the skylight.  Of course I made a panic call to the Chance House.   PATTY .... DAN .... HELP!!!!!  In probably less than 30 minutes, the entire storm was over and the plopping stopped.


I had completely forgotten about how bad the front gets.  When Dan showed up, he waded through three inches of water to unplug my little drainage ditch.  Dan grabbed a shovel and I a rake, to enlarge my ditch and drain the swimming pool.  Most of it is gone in this picture.


Which brought us to this .... the water had been up the sides of the concrete blocks.  Not a good thing at all.  In less than an hour, it had all disappeared.  Now the work begins.  Today I'll be trimming up all these Mexican Bird of Paradise plants so we can get back there with wheelbarrow loads of dirt and rock.  This is a low spot that must be filled in asap.  There's big storms coming all week long, a result of the hurricane weather in New Orleans.  


My heart goes out to those people.  I just got a 30 minute taste of their troubles and I didn't like it one bit.  

So much for my plans of leaving this week.  The roof has to be repaired, although Dan thinks the wind and rain came from the right direction, lifting the comp shingles just enough to let the water in.  As soon as the rain subsided, the plopping stopped completely.  Lucky for me there is a big pile of leftover shingles in the garage.  

Which brings up THIS problem ... I have no food.  I've been completely cleaning out the fridge and freezer so I didn't have to carry much on my way home.  Guess I'll be going to the store today.  I'm hoping to get everything fixed and leave the following week.  We shall see.


As for now, I'll be out front shoving sand and gravel.  Pray for New Orleans.


13 comments:

  1. Well, that socks. Hopefully the roof is an easy fix and you can be on your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my fingers crossed. However YOUR recent trip ... good grief. You've got much more patience than me. I doubt I would have gone through all that crap ... I mean testing ... to get into Canada.

      Delete
  2. Oh that storm! Nice that the leak happened while you are still there though and your plans can be changed to get it fixed. Now to get a little shopping done since you do have to eat!! :) I agree with your comment to Jim and Barb. Bad enough to get one covid test then to have a border patrol make you get another! UHHHH..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right ... good thing it happened when I was here. Would have been a pretty big mess when I got back!!

      Delete
  3. I agree with Shirley! Thank God you were still home! Plans can be changed. 'Your' Patty and Dan are indeed the best neighbours anyone can have and I know you fully appreciate that.
    Jim and Barb sure do have patience. I'm sure we could be facing something similar WHEN we get to cross into your country. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping you don't have to jump through all those hoops!! Yup if it weren't for Patty and Dan I'd be in deep water ... literally!

      Delete
  4. It might be as easy as caulking the flashing around the skylight. Straight-line winds can let the water find all sorts of holes...our main library in Arkansas had that problem. Of course, a leaky roof makes for a good excuse to stay in Tucson instead of coming to smokey-smoggy-smelly (government smells, not the actual state as long as you like the smell of smoke that is) California. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW - Arny says he has met and knew of Dan. Said Dan was a CHP Motorcycle Officer. Hummmm...when I was 17 I had a Austin-Healey Sprite and got a ticket in South Sac from a CHiP on a motorcycle driving 25 in a 25 mph zone going around a corner. The officer figured I had to be going 35-40 coming up to the corner, although he could not see me due to a large bush at the corner, and that is what he wrote me up for, 35 in a 25 zone. I am SURE it couldn't be Dan. lol

      Delete
    2. That's just what Dan said about the flashing. Should be an easy fix. I don't know about the motorcycle part, but Dan does ride and did build a Harley Davidson store in Jamestown. It seems the smoke is not letting up. Two more big fires.

      Delete
  5. Yuma, Yuma Foothills and Wellton were hit too. Thank God you were home. Elva

    ReplyDelete
  6. you ever feel like your pushing a rope up hill ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... yes I do!! LOL. But it sure makes life interesting!!

      Delete