Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Saga Of The Fence

Maybe not as bad as the skunks, but I don't know whether to laugh or cry.   It doesn't help when you have an unhelpful neighbor.  The original owner of the property to the left in this picture watered those big trees for days on end.  You can tell by the white wood on the fence.  That of course caused all the posts holding it up to rot off.  When the winds came, it fell over.

This picture was taken by my other neighbor (the nice one) in December when it fell over.  The corner of MY yard is the dark fence on the right.

I called the insurance company immediately.  You've already heard the tale of the adjuster coming from Texas who gave the insurance company a repair estimate of $35.  No, not kidding.  When I made the emergency trip back in February, he was supposed to meet me to resolve the problem, which of course he did not.


At long last after many phone calls, the insurance company told me a few weeks ago that it would pay $4,500, based on DECEMBER'S price of wood.  Subtract $1,000 for depreciation and another $1,000 for my deductible and I got a whopping $2,500 deposited in my account.

Now comes the bad part.  Since then, the price of lumber has doubled and even tripled.  Safeco Insurance refuses to pay a dime more.  I called a contractor buddy and got a fence contractor recommendation.  My friend said the going rate for fences was $50 a foot.  I almost had a heart attack, assuming the repair would be about 100 feet worth.

You're going to love this part.  That estimate would be for a 6 foot tall dog-eared picket fence.  MY fence is 7' tall and will cost twice as much.  Add to that the measure of 181 feet of fence that will have to be replaced.  Yup your math is right, that comes to $9,050.  Just to be sure, I hit up Google Earth to measure.

To replace the fence like it IS will be over $12,000.  FOR A FENCE!!!  And it doesn't even include concrete to keep the skunks out!!  OMG ... well I said some other bad words, but you get the picture.

SO ... the fence will be dog-eared picket style (not matching any other fence on the property), 181 feet worth for a grand total of $7,800.  Will the neighbor be paying his share?  That would be a BIG FAT NO.  It appears the fence is on my property and he's a jerk.  Needless to say, the "pretty" side of the fence will face ME!!  So much for my tax refund and half my travel account.

Maybe, just MAYBE the lumber company can get a shipment in by the end of May.  You saw that picture on Facebook where one sheet of plywood was $95??  That's how scarce lumber has become.  

Just to keep me minimally distracted so my heart rate would go back down, I gave Mr. Cooper a haircut.  It's definitely not his favorite activity, but he sits very still while I chop right and left.


He's such a sweetheart.  He blends so well with the carpet, sometimes I can't find him!!

On the other skunk front, it appears the critter cam is toast.  It took 5,226 still shots the last time out.  Apparently there is a glitch that is not fixable.  Gosh, this one didn't last very long.  I'll be ordering another Bushnell like the one at the Arizona house.  Yes I have to.  I'm becoming very nervous about what is roaming around my house at night.

14 comments:

  1. If the fence panels are salvageable just replace the posts and reattach the panels.
    Cooper looks much cooler. Too bad you can't weave his hair.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "IS" that a swimming pool I see on the bad neighbor's property? Do dead Skunks swim?? Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHAHAHA ... you are too funny. Yup that is a swimming pool in his back yard. I don't know if skunks can swim or not. I'm betting they DO!!!! Dead or alive!!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Elva. Many times Cooper is what keeps me going!!

      Delete
  4. Just as a thought, building a fence is really not difficult. With a helper for setting the posts straight etc. you could do it. All the materials are easily purchased and probably delivered free of charge. Perhaps ask around who else builds fences and prices will vary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've checked a few contractors. Our problem is materials are not available. Right now the wait list for fence pickets is about three months. With all the bad weather between here and Texas, there is nothing available. Plus that problem of shipping all our lumber to China.

      Delete
  5. I think Marlene has the best (cost effective) solution for you. You would need a helper or two and then buy some 8ft posts and reattach the fence. That's assuming the wood on the fence is still in decent shape.

    Another thought is to take the fence apart and stack it somewhere for later use and don't put up a fence. Now your neighbor with the pool would have to put up a security fence to protect himself. Most areas have codes about fencing around a pool.

    Build yourself a small dog run with the money and they would be protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm now that's a thought. Actually, I did think about just leaving the fence down. I'm sure he would build something rather quickly. He was pretty quick to prop my fence back up when it blew over.

      Delete
  6. You can offset the cost by using metal anchor posts instead of 4 x 4 posts they’ll never rot
    you only need half the amount of cement or they could be driven in. Home Depot and Lowe’s sell them so you could compare prices
    As far as lumber goes keep your eye on the market the prices are starting to come down not by a lot but some
    An interesting article. But don’t think you’re alone

    https://magazine.realtor/news-and-commentary/feature/article/2021/01/lumber-takes-a-fall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they would quit shipping most of it to China, we would HAVE lumber. There's a house being built around the corner. They've been working on it for 9 months now ... no lumber available.

      Delete
  7. No help to offer here about the fence. My gentleman friend is a free-lance carpenter, and around here, he is hard pressed to get the materials he needs...a door? OK. Maybe in July we can get you that size.
    I guess a chain link fence would bring down the neighborhood, right? Well, maybe it would inspire your neighbor to pitch in. But what do I know. Chain link may be hard to get to.
    Or not. Best of luck. You do hang in there, so this will probably get resolved.
    Eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judith. I can't remember when we had a hard time finding lumber. Chain link is about $15 a foot. MUCH cheaper, to be sure.

      Delete