Monday, April 5, 2021

Never Send Me To The Store

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter Day.  I'm looking forward to seeing pictures!!  Besides being ever grateful that I wake up every morning, it was the perfect day to hit the grocery store.  If you go early enough, there's hardly a sole around, meaning it's a no mask trip.  Or better yet, I wear one, but around my neck!!

The problem comes with my complete lack of self control.  Never send me to the store.  I will always come home with something akin to this ... the best ice cream on the planet!  It was part of my great plan! 


You see when you leave your house for a period of time, no matter what temperature I set the thermostat at, it becomes "old" smelling.  Yes I plug all the drains so there's no smell escaping from the P-traps, but nothing seems to help.  

The solution?  Bake a pie!!  Yeah there's that other thing about changing all the air filters (which I do immediately) and spraying smelly stuff everywhere, but nothing works like a fresh baked PIE!! Since Marie Callendar loves to bake, it works out very well for me.  It doesn't hurt that caramel butter pecan ice cream goes perfectly with dutch apple pie.


The next major problem of the day was quickly solved by finding Rice Krispies at the grocery store.  Gee ... what should I do with that entire bag of marshmallows I found in the freezer??  Honestly, I don't even know where they came from, but waste not want not.  Rice Krispie treats it is!!  Do you see a pattern here???


I'm blaming every bit of it on those cute little Easter bunnies.  They made me do it!!


I did actually buy some legit stuff, like eggs and cheese, but for the most part I think I'll be eating dessert three times a day.  I perused the meat section, but the cheapest I could find was $7.99 a pound .... for hamburger.  Funny how our prices have suddenly gone sky high!!  It must be the summer vacationers traveling through, kind of like our fuel prices.

I'm still making the rounds of the sprinkler system, finding my Lillies blooming on the perfect day in spite of the fact their water was looking like Old Faithful, shooting straight up into the air.


I have four of these shrubs (no idea what they are called) that are also blooming like crazy.  I do love it when the flowers take care of themselves.


The best part of the day occurred when I heard the doorbell ring, then saw someone run away.  What??  Upon further investigation, which took the better part of an hour, I discovered my neighbor had fixed the fence between us by nailing up the missing boards.  How exciting is that ... and a big relief not to worry about the puppies sneaking away when I'm not looking.  

On further inspection, I did NOT find ONE SINGLE HOLE in the back fence where some critter was trying to make my life miserable.  At least for the time being!!

On the other hand, sadly the war with the ants continues.  I'll give you a blow by blow description tomorrow!!!  


9 comments:

  1. Aww...today is my mother's heavenly birthday. She would have been 100! Apple pie with butter pecan ice cream was her favorite. We used to have a couple of those shrubs with the pink flowers. They were low maintenance. Have a wonderful day but please eat some protein foods too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Heavenly birthday to your Mother Elva!!! She must have been talking to me when I was at the grocery store!! Yeah ... well I did eat some of that chicken I cooked, but I don't think it counteracted much!!

      Delete
  2. Part of the odor problem is still coming from the P Traps. Both the Bathroom Sink and Bathtub have an Overflow drain. If you don't plug those as well the Traps dry up and fill the house with odors.
    Nice looking Baking. We always find things we can't remember when we got them.
    Flowers always brighten things up.
    Glad you enjoyed Easter.
    Be Safe!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes ... those overflow drains. Could be that for sure.

      Delete
  3. When we leave the condo for 6-8 months we not only cover the drains, but also stuff Kleenex in the breathing holes found in most bathroom sinks. We also cover the toilet with saran wrap along with the water reservoir JUST to keep the water from evaporating. And YES, it still smells a bit musty when we get home, despite having the thermostat set for 80 degrees. We also have our ceiling fans on low while gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave B
      Setting the thermostat at 80° is what’s causing your house to smell ... think of hydraulics your air conditioner or heater turns on it sucks air from your house where is your house getting the air from , Yes your house air is being filtered into your air induction filter put a can of damp rid next to That filter
      If you leave the air conditioner on you’re putting dampness in the house that’s basically where your dampness is coming from
      If you live in a very cold climate. Let the sun and mother nature work for you to heat an dry your house If you set your thermostat at 45 in a cold climate the same principle applies in a hot climate Set that thermostat hi at 85 or even 90 that way you’re using minimal AC. And mother nature will do a lot of the drying work for you
      Using pink antifreeze (it doesn’t evaporate )(old time New Englanders used to use vodka it doesn’t evaporate either )put a cup in each drain toilet and toilet tank don’t forget the washing machine drain. Inside the washing machine and dryer . In a paper plate put 1/2 a cup of baking soda in the washer and dryer Don’t throw it away you can wash your clothes in baking soda as well
      If you have a dehumidifier (Some have a humidity setting )turn the heater and air conditioner completely off. set it on the kitchen countertop and let the drain go into the sink.
      Just make sure you open up all the doors in the house

      Delete
    2. Dave I put Saran Wrap on EVERYTHING but I'm afraid to leave the ceiling fans on. Honestly there's not much that's going to help because there's no outside fresh air getting in. My thermostat is set at 85 - 60.

      Delete
  4. FreshWave or DampRid Will take that mask smell out
    What you’re smelling is the dampness
    the other thing you want to do is get a cheap can coffee put 3 cups of water and a half a cup of ground coffee Put it on simmer set your timer for 15 minutes or 20 minutes Add more water if you need to
    When you’re done let it sit there for the rest of the day and then dump the grounds in your flower bed
    Type in search mobile RV mechanic your area / better than an RV dealership

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok then ... simmering coffee it is. Yes I also plug the washer drain. DampRid might be something to try.

      Delete