Thursday, April 29, 2021

Hot Water and Beef

Well ...... absolutely nothing exciting happened yesterday.  Oh wait ... they picked up my garbage bins at 5:30 am.  That's always good for a few barks from the puppies.  I paid a few bills ... that's always fun because it requires balancing my accounts, the last thing an actual accountant really wants to do!

I checked the game camera to find two videos of me turning the camera on and off.  I'm hoping that means there have been no midnight visitors to the back yard.  Of course that doesn't keep me from making my security guard rounds before letting MY critters outside.

I messed with my back for a few hours, trying to stay sat as long as possible.  I'm about half way there.  Le me just say there will not EVER be any on-the-knees floor scrubbing in my future!!  This is really a pain!

Here was an interesting factoid to come across.  In Arizona, I shop the sometimes expensive Safeway.  If you have their app, you do receive free and discounted stuff, which of course I do.  Here, I shop Save Mart.  That's the one that had no meat under $8.99 a pound, with the good stuff around $12.  Costco is in the same boat.

Wasn't I surprised when I stopped in for a dozen eggs at my little neighborhood Mexican grocery store.  Interestingly enough, it's owned and run by a lovely Asian family, not that it matters.  I did a drive by the meat section just to see.  Whoa ... they actually have whole chickens, unlike Save Mart!

Then I spotted this huge beef loin roast for $2.99 a pound!!!  WHAT???  How can they do that when Save Mart is $8.99 a pound?  Yes I'm sure it's not PRIME quality beef, but who cares?  Okay, I admit this is part of what I feed Cooper with his sensitive stomach.  I actually keep half of it for my tacos and cut the rest up for him.  This will last at least two weeks.


Don't blame it on prime beef (that's the good stuff) ... neither Safeway nor Save Mart sell prime unless it's a big holiday.  They have CHOICE beef.  This actually could be one step below choice, but it tasted pretty darned good to me and was plenty tender since I cooked it in my Instant Pot!!

While I forced myself to sit on the couch all day, I contemplated my hot water heater on the rig.  My other motorhome had on-demand hot water ... meaning there was no tank to mess with.  Now I have THIS monster to confound me from A to Z.  

People have said they empty it after every trip.  Is that necessary?  This guy, to keep from screwing on a garden hose every time, has added this heat proof faucet if you will, to drain the tank.  Looks reasonable.  So here's my question.  If I drain it, how do you fill it back up?  How do you know if it's full before you turn it on, because apparently if it's not, it will burn up almost instantly!!
 

To make it even MORE confusing, I spent an hour reading the book about my rig.  This picture obviously shows an on-off switch.  I've looked not once, but THREE times and there is NO on-off switch on my hot water heater.  What's up with that???


I finally gave up the ghost and watched smugglers get caught at the border on TV before checking out Josh Gates in New Mexico looking for UFO's.  You know, the really important stuff!!!

In the meantime, I'm going to try NOT to read all those Facebook posts about things breaking on these trailer-type rigs.  They are beginning to scare me!!!



9 comments:

  1. You should have an on/off switch inside the 5th wheel. I have never emptied my hot water heater, but I have never been in freezing temps either. "IF" you drain it, and you are NOT hooked up to water and you DON'T turn the water pump on, then it will fill next time you do either of that (hook to water or turn on pump). There may be a open/shut valve leading to it which would prevent it from filling if you close that valve...most likely it does not have that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay ... if I drain it, turn water pump on BEFORE turning hot water heater on.

      Delete
  2. I shopped at that Safeway. It's a beautiful store but there were so many beautiful tempting items when you first walk in. In Wellton we have the Del Sol market. Except for ground beef I started buying steaks and chicken at Del Sol. The prices were a lot better than the stores in Yuma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny that the specialty stores are selling meat cheaper. It just really surprised me.

      Delete
  3. Is the on/off switch hiding behind that hose addition?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only did I look twice, but I ran my hand around the entire thing. There is no "on" switch like in the picture. Weird.

      Delete
  4. Call or text and I will call you when you want to go through the water heater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speed dial Bill ...... that's why I have you on speed dial! Thank you!!! I haven't emptied it. I'm just doing what-ifs.

      Delete
  5. In all the years we had fifth wheels we never emptied the hot water tank.

    ReplyDelete