Saturday, April 24, 2021

Gopher Revenge

I must say I'm loving the weather here.  Cool down to 45 at night and only up to the low 70's during the day.  Mostly I love it because neither my heater nor AC units are running causing my electrical bill to skyrocket.   Especially in light of the fact that PG&E is now going to charge everyone in the state for the cost of the lawsuit they lost over the fire that burned down an entire town.  

Anyhoo .... I wandered out in the back yard to double check on the ant hills.  Yup they are still GONE!!  Wait .... what's this?  Another gopher hole, this time in the flower bed.  


And another .... and ANOTHER!!  FIVE GOPHER HOLES!!!  It's the revenge of the gophers for flooding their little castle in the grass.  There were so many holes, I thought it might be the skunks.  Nope ... it's gophers.  

So I stomped on each and ever one, finding the line between holes and smashing them with relish!!  Now I have all these depression trails in the flower bed.  Oh well, better than gophers.  And so the NEW war begins!!!!  I've no idea how to fight these guys other than watering them until they move to my neighbor's house.  You know, they are just too cute to come to some demise.


Much as I dislike going to Home Depot, it was time.  I think it has to do with the fact that you park at the ENTER door, walk clear to the far end of the store to find your items, check yourself out (only one cashier here) and go out the OUT door to find you are parked clear across the parking lot at the ENTER door.  I walk at least a mile every time I go there.

THIS time I parked at and went in the OUT door.  They don't care for that much ... going against the grain and all.  They also said I had to wear a mask, so I put it on and pulled it down under my chin.  The sign didn't say I had to wear it on my face.  I know, I'm a rebel.

I spent the rest of the day ... literally like 5 hours ... cleaning out the cracks in the shower walls.  This was an epic job requiring the use of a grout brush and a hair dryer.

Once super clean (and I knew very dry) I re-caulked the outside seams.  Luckily I didn't cut off too much of the tip and did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself, only because I read the directions that said to cut the tip at an angle.  

I even got pretty good at smoothing with my finger.  Sadly, that finger had my longest nail on it, which is now stuffed like a jalapeño with cream cheese.  Boy is that caulking hard to get off!  By the time I got done, I had it all over my fingers, palms and even my elbows.  It peals your skin off when you discover it after having dried.  Ask me how I know!! 


My repair job looks 100% better than before and since it's especially made for bathrooms, guaranteed to be waterproof, it should do the trick.  When it dries, I will begin the mega chore of cleaning the tile grout and sealing it not once, but twice with this stuff.  

Hmmmm I better read the directions to see if this is waterproof.  I forgot to check.  I'm also VERY happy that the other shower is in a bathtub that does NOT need to be caulked.


I wonder if gophers have all these housing repairs since their little abode got wet in the last flash flood!!  The weather forecast says there will be more flooding VERY soon!!


14 comments:

  1. I bought some solar powered stakes that you put in the ground and it makes a noise and vibrates. It did the trick for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an idea! I'll see if I can find some.

      Delete
  2. Maybe you can do a Bill Murray scene from
    Caddy shack He sure took care of that gopher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At our Church Camp (as a kid) in Santa Cruz the caretaker got rid of gophers the old fashion way...water in one hole, a chair and shotgun at another hole. We would be in class and hear this not so distance KABOOM and we would all say, "Nels got another one!" Don't think that would go over well these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my ... actually would probably work in my neighborhood. People fire off guns quite often around here!! Maybe that's why the gophers are on MY property!

      Delete
  4. You did good with the bathroom. Looks great. Regarding Dave Burdick's comment.....can you imagine the outrage that would cause today? Maybe some prison time for Nels? I miss the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much outrage here. This is an ag community that loves their guns and fireworks!!

      Delete
  5. Gophers, skunks, ants..geez always something to keep you busy! I like Bill and Jan's idea! The bathroom looks great! The joys of being a happy homeowner. Home Depot in Carson City has never given us a problem of being unmasked, yet! Who knows by the next time?! I much prefer Lowe's, they don't have someone standing there telling you to wear a mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people are finally getting fed up with the mask police. Yes I do seem to have the critters. Wish they were pretty instead of the type I seem to attract.

      Delete
  6. I don't know if this applies to rodents other than mice but a SKP recommended partly filling a bowl or bucket with any type of oil including vegetable, putting a dab of peanut butter on it and a plank up the outside of the bucket. Apparently, rodents will climb up the ramp to get the peanut butter, fall into the oil, and be unable to climb out.

    PS. I always park by and go in the out at Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So THAT'S why there's no parking spots near the OUT door!!! LOL. I'm doing that next time.

      Your gopher solution would probably work ...

      Delete
  7. You do have a lot of critters, too bad they create issues. :( Chippy's holes up here are all over too but small and don't interfere with anything out in the country.
    I like Jan's suggestion too, hope you can find them!
    Nice job in the shower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gophers aren't bad if you don't mind huge piles of sand in your yard! LOL In the flower beds however, apparently that's why my plants are dying ... they are chowing down on those!!

      Delete