Friday, April 2, 2021

Pomp and Circumstance

 I'm starting off today with two of the things I detest most in the world, even more than scorpions and wolf spiders in my house.  I received a letter from the California DMV stating that I still owned my old Class A rig, as in I'm STILL the registered owner, but the LIENHOLDER is now LazyDays.  WHAT?  Did LazyDays not send the appropriate paperwork?  I certainly signed everything!!  

So now I have to deal with them.  If ever there is something that will make me scream, the DMV is IT!! 


Next to raise its ugly head is the IRS.  Thank goodness I have a lifelong friend Accounting Firm owner who takes care of all this stuff for me.  Hang on to your hats folks, it's going to get very bad very soon for all of us, NOT just those rich folks who make over $400,000 a year, as was promised by your President.


To add insult to injury, believe it or not I received five insurance bills in the mail, all dated in the last 15 days.  I've never dealt with this company previously, nor since I switched everything to Arizona, but it's been a nightmare.  To make it worse, my agent only allows messages on their phone system, and she never calls me back.

Add to that morning fun the notice I got that my medicare and supplemental insurance, neither of which cover anything but doctors and hospitals, has risen to $350 a month.  That is $4,200 a year for one doctor's visit each year.  Pretty crazy, right??  By the way, that cost is going up also.

So I was pretty happy to have my attention drawn to the Elks Lodge for the initiation practice.  Lucky for me one of our elders who knows every move you have to make, took me under his wing.  Gosh the pomp and circumstance is exacting.  

Thankfully I was sent a letter with the words I would be required to speak.  Have you memorized anything lately?  Good grief ... maybe ten sentences and I struggled to learn them.  My poor little brain was on fire! Amazingly, I blurted them out perfectly, to the surprise of everyone there, me included.  Now I just have to hem those tuxedo pants and squeeze my size 9 running foot into those size 8 fancy work shoes I found in my closet on the very back shelf covered in dust.


Once done, we went downstairs in our 130 year old building for a fabulous rib eye steak dinner, prepared by our Sheriff and his crew for Law Enforcement night.  It was well attended considering the circumstances and the crew sold over $1500 worth of raffle tickets.  No surprise, I didn't win a thing.

Then it was back upstairs for my first meeting as an officer.  Suddenly I had not one, but TWO jobs since one person did not show up.  There was a short installation for my position and a quick meeting because we all wanted to get home after eating so much food!!

Today I get to make the rounds of the yard irrigation system.  I heard three geysers this morning when I took the puppies out.  I just can't understand why these guys aren't more careful with their chain saw!!!


12 comments:

  1. Take one aspirin, one Tylenol, and drink one cup of Greek Coffee and your headache will disappear. (ok, regular coffee will work, but the Greek Coffee will make it go away faster). And THAT is just for the DMV headache...and it must be repeated daily for probably a month or two since it will take that long to get it fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good solution to me!!! Maybe even TWO MONTHS??

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the initiation into being an officer! Sounds like a great evening. :) Speaking a few words? Uh-uh not for me, good job!
    Sorry about the DMV and insurance crap you're dealing with. I think you need a few drinks stronger than even that Greek coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand how some states can have no problems whatsoever registering vehicles ... and then there's California.

      Delete
  3. Hate dealing with DMV anywhere! Nevada was good until the virus thing. Now there's lines outside for hours even in our little town. They don't make appointments at all. Congratulations to you! Sounded like a great meal! Good luck w the sprinklers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's even worse than California because at least they make appointments here!!

      Delete
  4. Memorizing....did you feel like you were back in school? Glad your meeting went well and was topped off with a delicious dinner. After being gone for 2 weeks we finally walked over to the mailbox. Guess what? IRS and CA DMV. But all is good. DMV was just a renewal notice for the Jeep and IRS was just information.... whew. BTW...when we traded the 5th wheel for the motorhome there were problems with DMV. It happens. Enjoy CA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You dodged a bullet Elva ... BOTH of those are the worst to work with. Glad your letters turned out okay. Memorizing is hard. I was never very good at that in school!!!

      Delete
  5. Nancy, we are still traveling. Mainly in the summertime. We go to Bigfork Montana and camphost at a Day use Fishing Access site. It's a volunteer job. We have a wonderful lakeside site with a full hook up. We see deer and osprey. Once we saw a fox on our walk. But anyway as I have gotten older my memory doesn't seem perfect. I wanted to ask you what trail camera you use? Brand? and do you like it? Also does it send a picture to your cell phone?
    Thanks,
    As always, I love your pictures!

    Mary & Steve (eclispe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera I like the best is a Browning Strike Force HD Pro X for Cabelas. It has easy latches and is easy to download pictures, but it does not send them to your cell phone. It does take still photos or movies, you pick. A Fishing Access site sounds just perfect!!!!

      Delete
  6. DMV, IRS, and insurance all in one day what luck. I am thinking you need something stronger then coffee...LOL.
    Present President is only going to raise taxes on those making $400,000 or more a year, yeah right. Even if that was the case those people will only be writing the check. Those of us who buy stuff will be paying that bill in higher prices. I will stop there.
    Congratulations on your two officer positions with the Elks. Still looking forward to the picture of you in that Tux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to get it all over with at one time!! Like ripping a bandaid off!!! LOL. That's three things I hate dealing with!!

      Delete