Wednesday, April 28, 2021

One Thing I'm Terrible At

Of course there are MANY things I'm not good at, but the one that stands out most to me is fabric selection.  Some people, like Cindy Warner are just amazing at this expensive endeavor.  My Arizona neighbor Shirley is another one.  

I, on the other hand, am terrible at it.  I pick all these fabulous fabrics, cut and paste, only to find they don't look good on the wall.  If I showed you what this REALLY looked like, you would go blind with the dizzying array of lose-your-balance-and-fall-over busyness.  I was off to the quilt shop to find something to fill in the blanks.

As most of you know, this little section of Highway 99 in California is the roughest in the nation.  To make it worse, they moved the lane over 4 feet to the right to allow for construction of the NEW lanes.  That makes it even MORE rough, if that's even possible ... so much so that I actually went the 55 mph speed limit in my truck to keep my teeth intact.

Fifteen cars passed me going at least 65 in lanes barely wide enough.  Where the heck are the cops?  The next section of freeway construction I had to go through was half as long before my turnoff.  SEVENTEEN cars passed me like I was standing still ... while I went 55.  

I never do anything like this, but I actually sent an email to the Highway Patrol.  Where are you guys???  The main substation is actually close by.  Believe it or not, they responded with "we are just shorthanded.  Thank you for driving the speed limit."  Okay then, I guess since there are no cops around, I'll just go as fast as the traffic and pretend I'm playing MarioKart!!  


Teeth still hanging in there, "you have arrived at your destination".  I'm like a kid in a candy store.  I want one of EVERYTHING!  Of course I was INSTANTLY sidelined by this quilt.  I admit, this is a sneaky picture.  You aren't supposed to take pictures unless you buy the material ..... which I did after walking around the entire store three times finding NOTHING of what I was really after.


When I got back home, driving 70 the entire way (heh heh heh), I was again on the search for all things RV.  The more I read about fifth wheels, the more gadgets I need.  The three long screens on the bottom will cover up the holes behind the fridge.  Unlike a household fridge, this one has access to the outside meaning it will become a housing project for wasps, which I seem to have an abundance of.


Next on the list ... for whatever reason, Grand Design sewer clean outs all seem to leak.  That means when you take the cap off, you are covered in lovely perfume before you can even attach the hose.  I noticed this happening when I got home.  

There wasn't anything but water in the tank (lucky me), but the valve had leaked enough to get me wet when I removed the cap.  THIS will allow me to remove the cap and attach the hose while remaining dry even with the leaky GD valve.  I hope it works because it's expensive!!


I'm sure there will be more MUST HAVES, but for now I'm good to go ....... until I see something else!!!

In the meantime, this new critter cam seems to be not as sharp as the last one.  Here's a picture of kitty kitty climbing a 7' tall fence with almost a single bound.  It's amazing to me how athletic kitties can be.  He just crawls right up the fence using his claws.  What an acrobat!!


There has been so sign nor smell of the civvy cats.  I'm hoping they have moved on to better hunting grounds.  I am NOT however, counting my chickens.


19 comments:

  1. I think the Highway Patrol has just given up in CA. Up here on I80 going over Donner summit, the trucks go as fast or faster than the cars. The truck speed limit is 55, but the only time they go that slow is if they are going uphill. Most times you see a CHP any more they are sitting at the beginning of a construction project acting as a temporary slowdown point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the case. I mean where are they? In all the years I've driven half the state at least three times, I've seen maybe one or two. People can just drive any way they want ... and they DO!!

      Delete
  2. Come and visit anytime and we can go shop hopping and I'm sure we will be able to find lots of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT is a true statement! You guys are so lucky to have so many shops to choose from!!

      Delete
  3. My son wants to study burrowing rodents at university.
    I told him to gopher it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha Robert!!!! Maybe he will learn how to make them disappear!!

      Delete
  4. I think every waste valve has leaked off and on with all my units...never thought about this device though, makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well .... my Tiffin never did that .... just sayin', LOL. It does look like it will work good. I'll definitely let you know!!

      Delete
  5. Since you just bought your Fifth Wheel that Valve should be covered under warranty. Another thing you can change is the Waste Cap at the discharge end. Install the one that has a Garden Hose sized connection on it. That way you can drain the leakage before attempting to connect the Sewer Hose.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an idea ... I never understood why everyone had so much trouble with dumping. My other rig was always easy as pie, neat and clean. Now I understand ... it's the valves.

      Delete
  6. Isn't counting your chickens a good way to discover if skunks are stealing them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup Linda .... that is a true statement!!! I do count in the early morning hours, the number of cackles from the neighbor's house.

      Delete
  7. I love going to fabric stores and looking at all the gorgeous material. Going tomorrow, all i need if fabric to recover the dining set cushions in the MH. Gotta get that done! Those covers for the vents are definitely a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't they have some of the most beautiful patterns in fabric? I admire you doing all the upholstery work. That's not an easy job!!

      Delete
  8. Are you putting any bleach in your toilet and then going into the tank and then coming out the dump valve
    Rick is right you have a warranty to cover that
    But bleach is the last thing you want to put on a rubber valve or waste parts

    By no means am I a quilter but why not buy the samples and throw them up on the wall and see how they stick. Or you could paint the wall another color🤡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://thecampingadvisor.com/clean-rv-toilet-with-bleach/

      Delete
    2. No, I don't use any bleach. In fact, I use a special rubber valve conditioner type of stuff that sinks to the bottom and is supposed to keep them in good shape. I haven't put any in this tank yet.

      You read my mind about the quilt ... that's exactly what I'm doing. Throwing pieces up on the wall to see if they work. No paint though.

      Delete
  9. You have chickens?? hahaha
    I'm thinking you make good on all your quilt material purchases. I've never seen any of your finished projects that turned out bad. :)
    Bill bought one of those valve thingys too a couple of years ago and it makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm glad to know the valve works. It's kind of pricey for such a small device. Hoping I can figure out how to use it!!

      You haven't seen any of my bad quilts cuz I don't show ANY of those in my pictures!!!!! They usually turn into dog blankets!!

      Delete