Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Green Things

 It was a day of green things.  Calm, serene ... I mean really, walking around a nursery can be very relaxing.  The problem lies in the fact that I want absolutely EVERYTHING they have, planted in MY back yard.  It's all just so BEAUTIFUL!!!

This is the Greenery which takes up one full city block.  (It's about 30 miles North with the entire drive being through highway construction).  It looks small on the outside until you begin walking the aisles.  They have everything from vegetables to roses, fruit trees, berry vines .... even cactus.  If only I had an inkling of what to plant in my yard, including where and how.


It's a full time occupation, taking care of a big yard.  Especially when you aren't there that often.  However Cyndae has motivated me to pick up a couple of landscaping magazines and at least LOOK to see what I might change.  

For the last eight years, my goal was to water as little as possible, meaning things wouldn't grow much and I wouldn't have to maintain them.  A good philosophy, right??  It worked for longer than I expected, but alas, the trees and bushes finally grew into monsters.  That's why I have gardeners, although they do cost me a lot in sawed off drip irrigation!!


I couldn't decide what to plant in front of this window.  Truly, I thought a rose tree would add some color, yet be tall enough to provide some interest.  Sounds good, yeh??  Then I remembered just how often a rose tree needs to be pruned.  

I switched it up to a bottle brush tree.  They have beautiful red flower-like blooms that attract honey bees and butterflies.  PERFECT!!  Finding one however was another story.  The nursery had only one.  It's not young by any means and needs some pruning, kind of like me.  That made the price just right.  Hopefully it won't die off in the next ten years.

Oops I forgot to take a picture, so this morning I braved the sprinklers to take this one where you really can't see the tree.  That's it, dead center.  If nothing else, I saved it from extinction, assuming of course that I don't kill it before it gets a chance to settle in.


We found such an enormous array of things to plant, I'm pretty sure I will be heading back soon.  I have a lot of empty spaces that need some interest.  Yes I thought big rocks might work just as well and would be something I couldn't kill, but they just don't come in pretty colors.

We also discussed my poor orchids, wracked with bruises from traveling back and forth and NOT blooming.  The suggestion was made (since the weather is fabulous) to leave them outside for the next couple of months.  The difference in night and daytime temperatures SHOULD encourage them to sprout a stalk and bloom.  SHOULD is the key word.  I guess we will find out because they now live on the patio.


In the meantime, my skunky pal didn't show up for dinner, so I closed the front door.  I imagine he will return though the underground tunnel he is sure to dig.  In the meantime, I'll pick up a new tarp to wrap the cage in, along with some stinky tuna for his discerning palate.  

For now however, I'll be sitting on the front lawn admiring my newest acquisition.



8 comments:

  1. Every year I think I won't buy any flowers etc as I usually kill them but I usually buy a few because I love the color on the porch..so I probably will this year :) Yes it would be hard to leave the nursery with just 1 plant :) Love the bottlebrush, my childhood home had one that grew huge, makes me smile! Your orchids looklovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bottlebrush was about the only thing that grew nicely on the ranch. Glad to know I'm not the only plant killer! LOL Maybe some day our thumbs will turn green.

      Delete
  2. In the house I grew up in we had a dirt patch to the left of the front door under the front porch. Planted a bottle bush there (among other areas) and within a couple of years, the humming birds built a nest and sure enough, saw my first humming bird eggs...almost needed a magnify glass to see them they were so tiny. (lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool is that?? There are no hummers around here, but a few more birds than I usually see. Maybe they will like this tree.

      Delete
  3. Since I can't grow anything I once made a driftwood garden. Retaining wall holding sand with various large pieces of driftwood scattered about. Sounds wonderful, right? The neighborhood cats sure appreciated the huge sandboxes. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Linda! Thanks for the laugh. It sounded like a GREAT idea ..... for the kitties anyway! Too funny.

      Delete
  4. I have a hard time deciding what to plant up here on the Ridge since I seldom research ANYTHING! It is so rocky so even hosta need encouragement by being moved from one spot to another. Unlike everyone else, I've never heard of a bottle brush tree. It looks pretty, almost dainty like a Japanese maple, and I think it will be lovely there! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It grows big red spikes that look like a bottle brush. Smells pretty good too since the bees and butterflies love it.

      Delete