Sunday, February 28, 2021

SMOKED HAIR!!! YUM!!

I was SO excited yesterday to get set up for that brisket babysitting.  I've only cooked one other in my life and it came out tough as the sole on my old boots.  That's a pretty hard defeat to take considering the COST of brisket is sky high.  

I plugged the smoker in at 4:30 am.  I was wondering if it would even come to temperature since it was 31 outside.  

How you cook these not-so-tender pieces of meat depends completely on what type of smoker you have.  This is a Masterbuilt.  I also have a Bradley, which I absolutely LOVE.  There's hardly even any tending when it comes to Bradley.

On the other hand, the Masterbuilt has to be looked after constantly, like a terrible two year old.  Walk away for ten minutes and you're in BIG trouble.  SO ... according to the Masterbuilt Guru on You-Tube, the only seasoning it gets is salt and pepper.  Big sigh!  I just whipped up two cups of special rub that will now sit in the cupboard.

Once to temperature and with foil in the bottom to catch all the mess ( you know I'm NOT about cleaning) I shut the door and plugged in the wood chips through the handy dandy hole bottom right.


Two hours later I had to open the door to retrieve the OLD wood chips in order to make room for the new.  My Bradley is automatic.  No opening the door, no checking the chips, no adding more water soaked chips, but THIS one has to be monitored hourly.  

I tested the temperature and the brisket was still cold in the middle.  It wasn't quite getting up to temperature, so I gave it a nice quilt to keep it warm.  Surprisingly, it worked like a charm!!  Yes I was a tad bit worried about the quilt catching fire, but for once, the barbecue Gods were smiling down on me.


The smoking guru said 10-12 hours.  Dinner should be ready by 5:00, at which time I was going to donate half of it to the Chance household.  Just in case though, there should be a backup dinner plan.  You just never know.

While waiting, I put on my plumber's hat in order to fix this drain.  This is the only picture you get because otherwise you would lose your lunch.  I took out the stopper to find hair completely clogging the entire pipe.  It wasn't even MY color!!  How disgusting!!  What I would have given for a Honey-Do MAN to complete THIS job!!!  I think I washed my hands six times when done.  At any rate, the drain works like a charm now.


Having opened and closed the door six more times, "I" now smelled like smoked brisket.  Every time I moved around the house, all I could smell was hickory smoke.  I'm considering bottling the smell.  Maybe THAT would attract a gentleman for those honey-do's I don't want to tackle!!  Smoked hair ... YUM!!

At any rate, by 4:00 I knew dinner wasn't going to be ready on time.  It never did hit the 175 degree perfect-time-to-foil-wrap temperature, so I wrapped it anyway.  At least now, after nine hours, I wouldn't have to fiddle with the wood chips any more.

SURELY by 5:00 (12 hours smoking) it would be done.  I was looking for the elusive 205 degrees.  By 6:30 I was taking it out no matter what.  This is no longer fun and I smell terrible.


It looks pretty burnt, right?  Nope ... that's what brisket is SUPPOSED to look like.  I let it rest another 30 minutes before taking a knife to it.  You know what??  It's pretty darn tasty and as tender as can be.  I have to admit it is a little dry ... probably because I actually forgot about it the last hour and left it in too long while I was on the phone.  No matter!!  IT'S BRISKET!!!!


I wolfed down a couple of pieces for dinner while cleaning up the mess it all created.  No one EVER said smoking was a neat and clean pastime.  

Here's what I learned.  I would much rather have the barbecue flavor from the spice rub, so next time I'll give it a sugar shower before putting it in the oven.  Secondly, in spite of what the Masterbuilt Guru said, I think it would be better to place the fat side UP like the Bradley guy suggested.  I'm thinking it might not have been quite so dry.

At any rate SUCCESS on my first ever brisket, enough though it wasn't perfect.  Brisket sandwich anyone???



17 comments:

  1. You are right, cleaning sink drains is one of the most disgusting jobs ever. I usually gag several times when cleaning that hair and goo out of the P Trap. Just gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup I get that gag thing!! Worst honey-do EVER!!

      Delete
  2. Nancy, why not take a piece of paper and right down your do's and don'ts on this brisket....flavoring; additional water; temperature; and whatever needs for the brisket. Then when the time comes again, you have some instructions to go forward. Brisket does take a long time to cook, even in an oven. I wonder how an Instant Pot would perform. Enjoy your leftovers. Lynn Cross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Lynn! I'll do just that. Instant Pot? Maybe ... it would not have the smoked flavor unless you tried liquid smoke. No idea how long it would take though.

      Delete


  3. Now if you want to slave all day over a smoker that’s your choice or you could spend 2 1/2 hours and be done with it . It comes out moist an not dry go watch a video on ... Orion cooker’s ... It is a set up and forget system (actually you don’t want to take the top off )They make two sizes they make a large one firebox 19 inches high and then they make a smaller one that’s 16 inches high Firebox
    If you put in a brisket which is about 2 1/2 hours or baby back ribs which is an hour Or a fat ass turkey for an hour and a half be careful taking the turkey out because it’ll fall off the bones...
    Now if you want to smoke meat. u can you take a tunafish can ( after cleaning and washing out) put your wood chips in On the bottom and forget it
    The only suggestion is line the bottom with tinfoil and put the drip pan and it helps catch the oils
    My son uses his 2 or 3 times a a mo, at the station for 15 guys .if you try it I’m willing to guarantee you won’t go back to that smoker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you make up a dipping basting sauce you might want to try one of these flavors if you like beans or hamburgers and you like the western flavor add green chili and mesquite flavor you only add a few drops comes out great https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/11/pantry-essentials-liquid-smoke.html

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of an Orion cooker. I'll look it up. 2-1/2 hours compared to 13? Oh yeah!!

      Delete
  4. https://www.amazon.com/longsen-20-4inch-Drain-Remover-Cleaning/dp/. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowe’s and Walmart as well
    They work like a champ after you use it don’t throw it away just clean it off

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything is better than cleaning out that sink. YUCK!!!

      Delete
  5. P-trap and Brisket in the same post! Good way to spoil the taste of even EXCELLENT BBQ. Problem with P-trap is that if you try to push it through, it is likely to get stuck at a turn and then you are really in trouble. YUCK! As for the dry brisket, that is what they make BBQ Sauce for! We use a sugar free, very low carb one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I slathered it yesterday in BBQ sauce. Oh MY it was good!! Sadly there just wasn't enough OF IT!! The brisket that is.

      Delete
  6. That was some undertaking making brisket. And it came out good too. Can't beat that😇 I know a brisket is not in my future. I'll trade water problems with you in an instant😄 Don't forget to some to the Chances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... your water problems are worse than my drain!! I'm sure it's something akin to changing baby diapers!! My sympathies Doug. Hope you get it repaired, or at least staunch the flow.

      Delete
    2. More like stench the flow😄

      Delete
  7. Getting the drain clean sounds familiar. Bill always finds so much hair in our sink and shower drains in the rv even though we are both careful.
    As for the all day smoker thing? Not for me. Not sure I get why you aren't using the Bradley......might have missed something. Obviously, I know nothing about smoking!! Glad it turned out all right after all! Tadah! :)

    ReplyDelete