Sunday, February 14, 2021

I Could Have Planned That Better

This gorgeous sunrise was the last vestige of sanity I saw as I headed out on an epic journey to California. I mean really, who tries to drive 790 miles in 13 hours?  Yes, that would be me.  Here's the secret reason why.  I sold my rig.  Wait ..... that doesn't mean I'm out of the RV business.  Quite the contrary, I'm getting a new one, but more on that later.

It was mostly for financial reasons.  It was almost 10 years old, meaning there were a lot of HUGE and EXPENSIVE maintenance items coming up, not to mention all the "little" things (meaning under $2,000) that needed replacement (and possibly one BIG thing).  In about six months I would have been completely upside down on the mortgage, only to continue that big payment until I died.  

Being the accountant I am, it was time to say goodbye.  I expected a long drawn out process, but after contacting La Mesa RV, they bought it outright in less than one hour.  The inspection took less than ten minutes.  Yikes ... that was FAST!  The problem that brought up was a required trip to California for the four dining chairs, the European recliner, the parts and pieces to the vacuum system and all the original bedding.

Add to that meeting up with the fence adjuster!!  All good reasons to make a mad dash to Cali with the ever increasing prices of everything!!

And so I was OFF!!!  Into the cloudy rainy skies of Arizona.  First off, Friday is the worst day of the week to travel ANYWHERE!  Oh my goodness the traffic!  I kept saying ... self?  Aren't you glad most of it is going the other direction?  Little did I know.  By the way, it rained for mile after mile! 

I fueled up in Quartzite.  The price has already escalated from $2.29 to $2.50, and by the time I hit California, it was $3.95 for regular!!  I guess that pipeline will cost people much more than they expected.

By now I've made a couple of puppy stops, an exercise in craziness itself.  You haven't lived until you are trying to lift two dogs out of a small back door while hanging on to their leashes for dear life.  

Out of nowhere, I ran into THIS.  Think about this for a second, those of you who know the roads well.  The 20 mph snail race pace started at the turnoff of Hwy 215 from Hwy 10 and ran all the way over Cajon Pass to my Hwy 395 turnoff.  Big sigh!!

Here's where I learned a big lesson about eating.  The body cannot survive on Cheetos and peanut butter cookies, even though I tried.   At the next stop in Victorville for gas, I could barely hit the keycard numbers I was shaking so badly.  Hmmm maybe I should eat.  Taco Bell it is!!

At long last I arrived in Tehachapi where I learned my lesson in planning had gone all wrong.  I drove to the expected location of the dog friendly hotel.  Nope ... not here.  You must go BACK 3 miles to the Baymont.  After driving around it twice, I finally found the registration desk.  This place cost me $129.00 for just one night.  $10 of that was for the puppies.  Ca-Ching!!!

Add to that OH NO!!!!  Nooooooooooo!  That beautiful piece of plastic that was my Arizona license plate (until the real one arrives by mail) had broken off and disappeared.  Oh great ... now I'm going to get a ticket for no license plate!!  

So here we are, with one of my quilts on the bed to make sure Jessie doesn't have an accident.  Let me just say you should always bring everything ELSE in first and the dogs last.  Lesson learned.  Time to feed Jessie, except there was no knife packed, nor spoon in the hotel, to get the dog food out of the can.  Cooper refused to eat all together.  

After multiple trips outside with puppies going six different directions and me trying to figure out how to unlock the darn door, we settled in for some TV.  This is it ... all I could get the $129 hotel room to put out.  At least there was sound.  

We finally crashed on the bed.  I didn't even bother to change clothes.  I might have gotten a little sleep except we were right next to the soda machine.  Ka-bonk ka-bonk happened about once an hour, followed up by the barking dog in the room next door whose owner appeared to have flown the coop.  I'm guessing I got maybe three hours sleep.

When the clock hit 4, I was up.  No use waiting around for daylight.  That's when I discovered I had no toothbrush, no hairbrush and no food for me ... again.  All of my good planning was for naught!!  This time I did it right .... I put the dogs in the Jeep first, then loaded up all the other crap ... er overnight stuff.  We were OFF again after saying a prayer the police didn't stop me!!  Yes, I drove Tehachapi in the DARK!!!  White knuckles and all!!

Three hours later we pulled in to the garage at home #2.  I was so exhausted I couldn't sleep a wink.  I spent a couple of hours gathering up all the RV stuff and figured out the jigsaw puzzle of how to fit five pieces of furniture, a big box and four bags of pillows into the back seat of my truck.  I'll have to spend the night somewhere on the return trip and didn't want anything stolen out of the back.  

Why am I taking my truck?  Because it actually has a license plate!!  YAY!!!

It's a new day ... and VALENTINE'S DAY ... so give your sweetie a hug and tell them how much they mean to you.  Otherwise you would be single, like me!!

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY ... you know who you are!!!  Be sure and hit the quilt store for your discount.

Now to find that insurance adjuster for the fence and plan the return trip.  Oh ... and I have a whole new respect for the term "MY" bed!!!



20 comments:

  1. Wow!! Congratulations on the quick sale! It was a little curious why you were emptying drawers and things in the rig. We can only assume you might be going smaller but can't wait to see what you get! Happy Valentine's Day to you!
    Hope it all works out, fence, overnight stays and all so you can get some sleep back home. The place will look odd without the rig sitting there for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does look odd since I have never been there unless the rig is there. I miss it already, but am looking forward to smaller.

      Delete
  2. After you finished cleaning it I thought, "Hmmm, I wonder if she is going to sell it..." Had no idea your travel to California was all the way to Merced! OMG!!! Drive safe on your return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup it's a long way!!! In the beginning, I was only getting rid of all the junk in the rig ... but that showed me all the little problems. It was time.

      Delete
  3. Those rivers that never stay at a hotel If you plan your route try to route around to a red roof Inn (dog friendly )and never travel on the weekends all major hotels go up in price & Thursday Friday Saturday and Sunday If your drivers license has a class A endorsement ask for truckers rate or business rate You remember that AARP card, they send you for free, did you throw away next time don’t it’ll still get you a discount . Use your phone to check the Motel hotel price on travel advisor and ask your phone for a hotel motel it’ll show the price closest to you make sure you enter pet friendly to as well
    I’m surprised Mr. C didn’t tell you about hotel concierge or corporate lodging card. There usually about 75% off Certain chain hotels. O an Happy V day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Valentines day to you too Ed!! Well I did not know about the expensive weekends ... not to mention traffic on Friday. Heading back, I will check for dog friendly hotels and do it all differently. There's a learning curve!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the quick sale! Can't wait to see what you getting! I'm thinking it's a good thing you have a truck with chairs, recliner etc going back into the rig. You would have had to tie everything on top of the jeep LOL. I hope the adjuster goes well for you and you can get that fence rebuilt soon! You are just full of surprises! Happy Valentines Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, I could fit it all in the Jeep if I wanted, but the truck (hopefully) will pull my new fifth wheel!!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations. I think I know why you took the truck. Don't forget if you need a potty stop on your return you know where we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jan!! Yup it's going to be a small fifth wheel for me!!

      Delete
  6. Wow. Another adventure! I'm looking forward to what the next RV will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking fifth wheel Elva. Much as I love driving the big rigs, I don't want the expense (or related stress) of a big diesel pusher.

      Delete
  7. That is exciting news! Cannot wait to see what you get. We leave tomorrow for a cross country trip which will include a couple nights in a pet friendly motel. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Jim I can tell you it makes a BIG difference if you have a nice sweet calm puppy like yours instead of two crazy creatures like a poodle and a jack russell terrier always going in opposite directions. Good luck!!! Actually, I'm still considering a cab-over since seeing yours. We shall see.

      Delete
  8. Happy Valentine's Day! (Hope you have lots of chocolate and/or wine on hand may not help but it certainly cannot hurt...😊)
    Quite an adventure you are on, hope things went well with the insurance adjuster. Congratulations, on the quick sale. Looking forward to finding out what your next home on wheels turns out to be. Safe Travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No wine but I sure could have used some on this trip!!! LOL
      It's very nice to be out from under the big expense. Hoping to keep it that way.

      Delete
  9. My what a day. Happy Valentine's Day, I hope. It is hard to travel by yourself with two dogs. At least the RV sale went smoothly and you won't have months of hassle. Probably replacing with a travel van. That's the thing for California's lately 😀 Drive safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I thought about a van ... but there's just not quite enough room for two puppies and me ... oh and don't forget the parrot!! I'm thinking fifth wheel!! Happy Valentine's Day to you Doug!!

      Delete
  10. I am completely exhausted after reading this. I am glad you and the dogs are still alive. Get rest when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Judith ... and here I thought I was SO strong and this trip would be a piece of cake. Not surprisingly, I was wrong!! Hoping to recoup before I return!!

      Delete