Thursday, February 25, 2021

The VERDICT ..... Da Da Daaaaaaaa

Did you hear the music?  Not the SHARK circling around the parking lot, but the sweet sound of relaxed decision making instead of the what-the-heck-are-you-doing screams that usually fill my head.  Yes I know there will be problems and things to fix, but at least they will be smaller in proportion to a huge Class A.  I choose to see the glass half full ... for now, anyway. 


I went back to check out the floor space with the slide in.  Interestingly enough, they had already moved it around to the long row of those awaiting a nice shower and cleanup.  Not that it needed it since it looked just fine to me.  

Thank you Linda for pointing out the pet drawer.  That escaped me completely!!  At least the dog water bowl won't be tipping over every time I turn around and step in it.  It's in a pull-out drawer at the bottom of the fridge.

I did check out the used market and yes they would be cheaper.  The trouble is you may be getting someone else's troubles.  You never know if the owner is telling you the truth or not.  With a new one at least you EXPECT everything to work.  With a used one, I expect everything to go wrong.

I thought I could sit in it for a couple of hours making sure I had space for everything and how I would set things up.  However .... since they moved it to the back, it was about two feet away from the trailer next door and the stairs could not be opened for entry.  

It was definitely a good thing to see.  Be careful where you park in that Rest Area.  I have to say Nollan my sales guy is not the least bit hard sell, and a nice guy to boot.  He opened the stairs and held them so I could stick my head in and see exactly how much room the slide takes up when it's in.  

SURPRISE!!  I have access to everything.  The entire kitchen, fridge, stove, microwave and dinette are totally accessible.  I only lose one chair and the TV.  Boy is THAT a plus!!  


And so the verdict is IN!  It's a go!  But wait, why not try to get them to throw in a few more things.  I asked that the rear view camera setup and keyless entry be included for the same price.  I will pay separately for the Winegard Trav'ler satellite dish.  I'm hoping there is just enough wiggle room to save me another $700.  

Back home, I fixed the handle thingamabob on the toilet and discovered the culprit dripping oil under my truck on the garage floor.  SOMEONE left a bottle of Lucas diesel treatment in the bed.  It tipped over and leaked half a bottle, which worked it's way under the side of the truck to the garage floor.  What a mess THAT is.  Now I'll have to take it to the car wash for cleaning.  


In other good news ..... sort of ..... the verdict is also in for the fence repair.  The adjuster finally went out and came in with a repair cost.  $4,300.00.  NICE!!  I can probably get 3/4 of it fixed for that.  But WAIT!!  There's more.  He discounted it $800 for depreciation and another $1,000 for my deductible.  I'm getting a whopping $2,500 to repair my fence which will cost ME close to $5,000.  Why am I not surprised?

To celebrate my new windfall (hahahahaha) Patty and I went to Dairy Queen to check out their newest creation ... rotisserie style chicken bites.  Kentucky Fried Chicken they are not.  Forget the fries and get onion rings.  There was some confusion about the entire sheet of discount coupons we handed them, but in the end, it was an inexpensive dinner.  Next time we'll go to Arby's!!

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I bet it is nice to have that decision off you shoulders. Looks like a nice rig that should give you years of travel adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I will, assuming of course I live that long! Surprisingly, it was an easy decision ... from someone who can't even decide which shirt to wear in the morning.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the decision. Mostly that you have made one you're comfortable with. Another bonus of buying new is that you can buy the extended warranty. I know - more $$$ - but we can say first hand that it is well worth it (for us) and will do it again when ours runs out. I'm so happy! I figured you had seen the pet dish drawer, all G. D.rv's have them, Bill says. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea about the pet dish. How innovative of them!! Oh yes ... the extended warranty. In my other RV, even though it had very little going wrong, it was still worth it.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Nancy, although it is sad to see you leave the Tiffin family. I know you will enjoy your new Grand Design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true Carol. I truly loved my Tiffin (and it was a really good one), but the loan situation plus lots of maintenance, was making me crazier than I already am!!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your decision.
    We also purchased an extended warranty. We included our
    Gmc one ton also. Many people may disagree but it took worries away from our full-timer lifestyle.
    Can't wait to read about your future experiences traveling in your new fifth-wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the thing about extended warranties ... they take away much of the worry!! Thank you, I think I'm going to love it.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations Sounds like you made an excellent choice. The only drawback that I see with the fifth wheel and I’ve had 3 is lack of a generator if you do any Boondocking for microwave or air conditioning, I picked up a 4500 W wireless remote generator that I put in the back of my truck and I run the cord from the RV to the truck ...If your new fifth wheel is wired for a generator you only need to go from the forward box to your trucks Portable generator. so they come with two big propane tanks they are OK for short stays you just have to keep a better eye on them
    If your standard tires are not at least eight ply Try to get them to change the tires from standard RV to at least eight or 10 ply they create a more stable axle ride With less flex
    u might like to join the forum (s)
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/index.php

    https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29829631.cfm

    https://gdrvowners.com

    https://www.rvforum.net/threads/grand-design-reflection.82032/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always nice when a decision is made on something costly. Congratulations! Hopefully your dinner coupons will pay for the RV 😀 Can't wait to see it. When do you bring it home?

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ed. I'm definitely thinking about the generator, and yes the propane tanks won't last long I've been told, especially if you are using them for heat all day long. I will definitely join those forums.

      Delete
    3. Doug, my dinner coupons will pay for one light bulb ... maybe! Hahahaha. I hope to have it by March 6, but we shall see. You know how that goes.

      Delete
  6. Boy, you are a QUICK decision maker...like us. My first
    RV was a Terry 5th Wheel, did not travel with it just lived in it for nearly 6 years. Found it in 4 hours of looking at three different places in Little Rock on day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this took longer than I normally would take! LOL
      I've been looking for quite some time and knew what I wanted. I was just lucky that LazyDays had one in stock. It had just been delivered.

      Delete
  7. I really like this rig. I hope it works well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. It's beautiful inside, but better yet, seems to be well made. Time will tell.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your decision, I am sure you will enjoy it. Yes, the pet dishes are a norm in all Grand Design Trailers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one I never knew Bill. Next up will be a generator or solar. Maybe next time I see you we can discuss THOSE options!!

      Delete
  9. So I read the title and new I needed to back up a few days. Congratulations on the new rig. Looks beautiful and sounds like it will be perfect for you and your crew. Being able to have access to everything when the slide is in is certainly a big plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Sometimes you don't need to put the slide out ... just get inside and sleep. I'm surprised I'm not nervous .... yet anyway.

      Delete