Sunday, February 21, 2021

Buyer BEWARE!!

As with anything like this ... shopping for a new RV ... you better be at your best.  Buyer BEWARE is the name of the game.  Let's face it ... RV companies and their salesmen do NOT have your best interests at heart.  

Oh there are a few manufacturers that do, take Tiffin for example.  You can tell right when you walk in the door that they are well made with things like real WOOD instead of the cheap plastic stuff covered in wood contact paper.  

Anyway, the first order of the day was to see if my truck would fit in the garage.  Yahoo!!  Made it by a few inches.  Next, I was off to the RV world to see what I could find.  I've already done a lot of homework and know pretty much that I want a Keystone Cougar.

Small is the name of the game for me.  I really don't need a lot of room since I'm not living in it nine months a year any more.  These pictures are from the Keystone website.  Wasn't I lucky that Camping World actually had this one in stock.  

Let it be known I am NOT a fan of Camping World.  You drive it off the lot and they practically chain the gate shut behind you.  The horror stories are numerous.  Want to buy a folding chair?  The doors are wide open.

Here's the interior kitchen.  It's got plenty of room with fake hardwood floors (not a problem, I have dogs) and really nice white cabinets made of something akin to paper mâché,  but with glass doors, or maybe that was plastic.  It's very pretty and I love the white.  It also has a fireplace!!  Woohoo!!  I actually liked this rig a lot until I discovered when the slide is closed, you cannot access the bathroom.

Next one up, actually a 31 foot rig, has everything you could ask for, including comfy theatre seating.  It also has one solar panel installed to keep your two batteries going, with plenty of room (and pre-wired) for more.  A satellite dish is also pre-wired, a MUST in my book.  

It also has heated holding tanks if you're going to Texas.  Lots of bells and whistles here which I appreciate.  There's even plenty of room to strap Jonathan to the table, although during travel, he will have to be in the truck with the two dogs.  Won't THAT be fun!!  Cage fighting with a parrot referee!!

This one has a couch that makes in to a bed and a standard bench seat dinette area.  It has three slides, including the closet in the bedroom and does NOT close off the bathroom when they are closed.  That's a BIG plus.  You can even access the fridge ... I think.  


Outside, they all look alike.  It appears you have easy access to the dump handles without crawling under anything, as well as a 50 amp hookup.  That's a big plus for when it's hot and you're running the AC unit 24-7.  

The last time I was in Laughlin Nevada in the summer at 115 degrees, I blew the first hookup pedestal.  When hooked up to the second one, I never could get the temperature below 110.  I packed up and left because it was cooler inside the truck going down the highway.

So ... overall I'm not at all impressed with the cheapness of the build.  Flimsy panels, cheap materials, but it is what it is.  Time to get a price.  After all, Camping World was having a HUGE sale just for me!!

I have to admit, she was a very nice gal, not hard sell at all.  Here we go:

MSRP        $58,000

Discount      14,500   WOW, right?

Blah Blah Blah      Bottom line   $49,100

Interestingly enough, I had looked this rig up on Keystone's site.  After showing the paperwork to Dan, we discovered KEYSTONE'S MSRP was only $47,800.  How in the world did the MSRP climb the ladder of success by almost $9,000??  I even TOLD them I was an accountant!!  They should have known better.

Not that it matters, because I won't buy from them, but I hate it when they lie to you right off the bat.  They make people THINK they are getting a $14,000 discount.  WHAT A DEAL!!!  I'll be looking elsewhere.

Today I'm hanging with the puppies.  They are so happy I'm not that mean old grinch who yelled at them for two days.  I'm hoping they have short memories, helped along with a few new treats.

The hunt continues for a new RV.


19 comments:

  1. We hated looking for our 5th wheel! It was fun for the first day but it became painful after a while. We had some of the same criteria as you. Need to be able to access the fridge, bathroom and bedroom with the slides in were a must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to have to buy BIG in order to have access. I'm pretty determined about the model, it's just finding it may be a little difficult.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I like that 27SGS floor plan and its light & airy interior. I do see what you mean about materials, tho - the website says the counters are "pressed"- WTHeck? - but then, you really don't want to pay the fuel costs for lugging around real wood & quartz everywhere you go do you? Seems like a smart trade-off to me.

    But I don't think you'll have access to the fridge at rest stops en route, though. Check out a MI salesman's video of this model at 15:30 where he addresses what's available when the slides are closed here:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVySecO2C-s

    Still, as you mentioned you do have the bathroom & the bed, and as he suggests, if you pack a cooler & stick it in the entry for lunch, you're good. So that shouldn't be a deal breaker for you, should it? Because the storage in this thing is fantastic. The closet, under-bed access & the basement...this is a mobile cottage, basically. Get the OTG package with inverter+solar+12v fridge & you can take this anywhere & set up house.

    Plus,c'mon,it's a COUGAR! That lets all the younger guys you pass on the road know you're available for sharing s'mores with 'em by the campfire later. ;-o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right Lailani .. about everything! LOL. These are their cheaper line, for sure. Mostly made for people who are going 100 miles to camp for a day or two. I will check out the video ... thank you for the link. In the meantime, I'm looking for the upgraded version.

      Delete
  3. Every RV that you buy and less you build it yourself is going to have a drawback most furniture is 20 minutes meaning that’s all you can stay in there before you start to get an ak instead of a shower you might have a tub the TV might not be in the perfect place the sleeping area may have steps that are awkward or cabinets that are too low all the dump handles may not be in the right place your holding tank may be too small not heated are the tires for apply or ten ply do you plan on doing any Boondocking where you may need a generator is it pre-wired even so you have two big propane tanks if it’s cold and you start using them they get depleted Real quick just remember the advertisement picture of five happy people standing around the campsite laughing and enjoying themselves that would be nice if that was the real world but it’s not. Wold you consider a good discount if you bought it a year or two or three older
    The money you could save you could go to mattress barn and buy a brand new mattress of your liking the money that you say you could put back in a credit union are you willing to travel
    https://www.rvtrader.com/Keystone-Cougar-Half-Ton-27sgs/rvs-for-sale?make=Keystone%7C2273942&model=COUGAR%20HALF-TON%7C764954206&trim=27SGS%7C58411

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my next move ... checking out the slightly used versions. None of them will be perfect, it's just what you are willing to deal with. I'm pretty easy when it comes to that stuff.

      Delete
  4. All you can try is to get the best of the crap..LOL..It does look like a beautiful rig for sure and should be easy to handle. Good luck finding the right one for you. Love the countertop space for sure! One thing about dogs, they love you no matter what :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had six kids and three dogs, I might be a little worried about the quality, but since there's just me, I'm pretty easy on stuff. Plus I'm probably not going to drag it all the way to Maine and back.

      Delete
  5. Just thinking of having to look for another RV gives me a headache. Although this may not be much of an option for you due to distance, we bought 2 out of 3 of our motorhomes from PPL Motorhomes (pplmotorhomes.com) out of Houston (also in Dallas and San Antonio). It is a large consignment shop, so they (sales people) don't make a commission so no 'hard sell'. Class A, C, B, trailers, 5th wheels & toy haulers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that before. I will definitely take a look. Thanks Dave.

      Delete
  6. This is going to be fun..... for me. I hope you have fun too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very fun, although a little stressful. Do I REALLY need another RV??? You know how that goes.

      Delete
  7. I liked the layout but agree the markup was horrendous. I would think you could leave Jonathon in the trailer unless it is real hot or cold. And one of the mutts too 😀 Good luck. Ajo would be a great test for your new 5th wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it would Doug. I would love to go there. I've thought about Jonathan too. I would have to take a short ride in the trailer to see just how rough riding it is. He may need a traveling cage for the truck ... and a steel panel to keep him away from the puppies! LOL

      Delete
  8. Nancy, Keystone Cougar trailers are one of the better ones made. We bought a 2011, 29 ft new. If I am reading the side of your truck correctly it is a 2500 HD, which is a 3/4ton. Even though they say it is half ton towable trailers, you will want your truck for towing over the mountains. We learned that one.Only you can decide what you will accept in the quality, the Cougar is on the higher end of their middle of the road line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill. I appreciate the info. I thought Cougar was a good one, but not the top of the line, which I don't want to pay for. Yes I have a 3/4 ton truck, so towing shouldn't be a problem. They weigh in the 7,000-8,000 range.

      Delete
  9. You have been 'spoiled' as we are with our DRV Mobile Suite. It would be hard to down grade to the 'not real wood' etc. but we know that is the most of what is out there. You pick other things you like and don't sweat the other things. It will be beautiful and the family members will love it if you are in it with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it Patsy. I will just have to treat it with tender loving care so that beautiful wood contact paper doesn't peel off! LOL. I really don't have a problem with that. The price is the bigger tag for me.

      Delete
  10. Patsy ... If you wanted to downsize to another quality unit from a D RV you could look into the arctic fox series still on the pricey side new or used they’re also handmade they’re also built like a husky(dog) they don’t mind the cold weather With some of the better reviews

    ReplyDelete