Monday, February 15, 2021

Death and Taxes

There's two things that are a certainly in this world ... death and taxes.  There's also Friday traffic jams and just when you think you have it together, you don't.  

I've always considered myself strong ... as in "as a horse" ... but it appears I've been wrong about a lot of things.  First and foremost is just how much FOOD does for you when you are old!!  Not having an ice chest, I tried not to pack much more than puppy food, figuring I could stop along the way.  Lucky for me, I did receive one of those dinner packages, which I repacked including those huge ice thingies, to bring for my enjoyment.

Wasn't I surprised when I opened the box and discovered I left all the MEAT for those meals in my freezer in Arizona.  RATS!!  That means a trip to the store.  But first ... here's the sunset from the hotel room door in Tehachapi in 40 degree weather.  It was windy and VERY chilly!!


Not wanting to take the truck full of furniture, I took the Jeep, completely forgetting about no license plate.  Luckily that Police car was coming TOWARDS me!!  When I got home I hid the keys so I wouldn't do THAT again!!

LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!  Peanut butter Oreo's!!!   Don't bother.  Yes I did purchase them and they do taste like something resembling peanut butter ... but notice it says FLAVOR creme.  That's code for fake awful imitation peanut butter taste.

I spent the rest of the day working on the third reason I came to California.  All of my tax paperwork goes to a post office box as a result of porch pirates and mailbox thieves.  I was hoping to pick up everything I needed and send it off to my accountant.  

You know how that goes .... the car mechanic never works on his own car?  Well the accountant never does her own filing, keeping everything in a big cardboard box.  What a job it is to dig through and find the necessary papers.  The worst part?  I left a big chunk of paperwork in Arizona.  DOUBLE RATS!!


The best news of the day was I got to EAT!!  I picked up ground pork at the little Mexican grocery store near me.  Sometimes I think there was someone in the woodpile, if you know what I mean, because I certainly do LOVE Mexican food.  It's tacos again ... pork, onions, loads of garlic, spicy powdered something or other seasoning and pineapple.  At least I won't starve!!

I haven't heard a word from the adjuster, nor do I expect to.  I found the "fence" he looked at.  One board fell down into the neighbor's yard.  I guess that was the $35.00.  I'm guessing he doesn't want to come back while I'm here to listen to my rant.  Tomorrow I'll ask the neighbor to remove his supports and let the fence fall over until I call and let him know the coast in clear.  Then he can put it back up.

One last major realization from that long drive to California.  Who knew a car would even START when you were not wearing a bit of makeup and your hair is a mess, let alone drive all the way to Cali.  I was born into big hair and lots of makeup ... for my entire life.  My high school girlfriend Lynn, the Avon Representative, will attest to that fact!

Never did we EVER go out without makeup.  I really didn't want to be bothered on this trip, so I put on my biggest pair of sunglasses and went au natural!  Who knew?  My Jeep started up and ran the entire time.  It's a good thing I didn't get stopped for no license plate, because I'm sure I would have scared that poor policeman to death!!

No this isn't me .... but it's a pretty good representation of the cheerleaders, letter carriers and "in" crowd I went to school with.  Unfortunately I never fit in, in spite of my attempt at makeup and big hair.  I think on the way back I'll not only wear big sunglasses, but my biggest cowboy hat!!  No comb required.




9 comments:

  1. The joy of having two homes, things get left at the other one..lol. At least you have awhile b4 taxes are due. I know I need to get our stuff together too. Love the hair pic, takes me back haha. It's hard to mess up a taco, those looked yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping for an extension of taxes like last year. Guess that's not going to happen.

      Delete
  2. Pineapple in the tacos. That sounds delicious. My nephew married a woman that's Kentucky born and raised. She says she was a "senorita" in a previous life....loves everything Mexican. Except for my nephew....the marriage didn't last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's hilarious!!! Sorry for the nephew though!! Pineapple is delicious in tacos!!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a normal Nancy Day ๐Ÿ˜€ Fake peanut butter! That should be a crime. Had to laugh at Elva's comment. ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID have a normal Nancy day!! Elva made me laugh too!!! Maybe I should look up her nephew!!

      Delete
  4. Tom bought some of the Oreo Peanut Butter cookies but with the vanilla cookie part, that in itself is a crime no self respecting Oreo is anything but chocolate he said he never noticed the flavor thing. (Yes, he does have his own cookie stash.) The tacos sound really good. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha Tom with a cookie stash. Vanilla cookie? At least these were chocolate and peanut butter.

      Delete
  5. I bought some layered chocolate and peanut butter cookies and just finished them on Friday. I don't know what brand they were but they were actually quite nice. They last me a long time but Bill's Nutter Butters, his favourite cookie now, we are constantly buying new packs! haha

    ReplyDelete