Wednesday, February 24, 2021

The Jury Is Still Out

Do you find there are always honey-dos that need doing?  My list has grown in the last few weeks, so it was finally time to get to it.  This toilet handle has been a pain.  The chain keeps falling off and it hangs up all the time.  Next on the list, fix the dryer vent under the house.  That's one that's been hanging around for quite some time and finally, locate some hickory chips for smoking flavor extraordinaire!!  Ace Hardware became the morning destination.

With all my work related chatchkeys in hand, I might as well take a look at Lazy Days RV.  WOW!!!  What a destination THAT was!  I've only been to the service department, the easiest to navigate I've ever seen.  Their sales area is like a vacation to Acapulco!!  I think I'll take a lunch, sit on the huge indoor fountain and pretend I'm in Mexico.

I located a very nice easy going gentlemen to show me their current stock. We talked more about everything than we did RV's.  Yes he's married ... I checked!!  Like most RV places, they are sold out of just about everything.  Apparently there are fields full of RV's to be delivered, just no one to deliver them through the snow.  Maybe I can get a job hauling trailers!!

 I try hard not to be a bother taking pictures right and left, so I grabbed these from the internet.  Here is the Grand Design Reflection.  They are a relatively new company as RV's go, but it appears to me they have their act together.  Those lightweight aluminum steps lift up, fold inside and lock.  

Who better to talk to than Mr. Chance of course, who is an inside connection and driver for La Mesa RV, and my winter Arizona RV friends Patsy and Bill Richards.  Bill works for CanAm, an RV center in Canada and they sell Grand Design rigs.  It took a bit, but I was able to talk to Bill yesterday.  He may be sorry I now have his phone number for emergency calls when I'm trying to get something to turn on!!

Although there are always exceptions to the rule, this rig seems to have less problems overall.  Of course I expect fixes to be required, after all, it's a house going through an earthquake every time you move it.

Here's the floor plan of the one I looked at yesterday.

You can see pictures here.  These I swiped from the internet.  It's only a 24 footer,  27 total.  This picture makes it look narrower than it is.  The difference in quality is striking.  They actually have wood in the cabinetry.  Storage cabinets are everywhere, including a 30" wide floor to ceiling pantry behind the words "storage galore".  

There wasn't a single 1/8" thick particle board backing piece on the floor, nor any contact paper that I could tell.  

There's so much light inside that I couldn't even get a good picture of the kitchen.  That far counter top is the perfect place for Jonathan.  It has the latest and greatest Furrion stove top, along with a full sized microwave ... perfect for the Queen of Lean Cuisine.  It also has a 50 amp hookup.

If anyone wants to spend the night, they can bring a sleeping bag for the floor.  Of course the dinette makes into a bed, but a very uncomfortable looking one.  It also has heated tanks for cold weather.  The dinette is the only slide (less to contend with when they refuse to go in) and I do have access to the bathroom and bedroom when the slide is in.  

I'm not sure about access to the fridge, but it has a SECOND small fridge accessible from outside ... for all those beers I don't drink.  It will be a little adjustment ... the smaller space ... but there's just me and the puppies and I won't be spending 9 months a year in it like I used to.

The interesting part ... and that which makes this accountant's brain work harder ... is that there is so much MORE quality for $11,000 LESS than the other one I was looking at.  Yes it's two feet shorter, but they are also throwing in a second AC unit for those hot Quartzsite days.  It is also pre-wired for solar if I decided to have it installed.  I'm hoping for a few more add-ons like a rear view camera setup and keyless entry.  I can definitely say Camping World tries to rip people off.

At this point the jury is still out, but the evidence is overwhelming.  This may be the new home of two dogs, a parrot and me!!  In the meantime, I have one more place to look.

18 comments:

  1. RV's are just like a husband or a wife, There is no such thing as the PERFECT one, but if you look long and hard enough, you can find one that will work out very nicely. Not perfect, but nicely. It's all we can ever ask for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great thought!! Obviously I never looked long enough to find the husband! LOL. As to the RV I think you are correct also.

      Delete
  2. Looks nice, but the BIG question remains, does it have the gross weight capacity for all those fabrics you buy????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now Dave, you KNOW I would leave plenty of room for fabric. 3,000 pounds of fabric capacity, so I think I'll be okay ... maybe!!!

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful. Lots of storage. I love the big window in the kitchen area. This is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought Elva. There are so many windows, all with blackout shades if I want to close it up. I'm getting excited!

      Delete
  4. That looks a lot like our Sundance interior, we have the same steps which can be a blessing or a pain depending on where you are parked as you are always adjusting but they are sturdy. We have the same stove and love it. Love the idea of a pantry! Just curious in the one pic that has the comfy looking chairs it appears they are close to the cabinets, is that where they slide out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the steps. The dinette and pantry are on the slide. It comes in in FRONT of the chairs.

      Delete
  5. Looks like a good choice have you checked arctic fox RVs they’re pretty much on the same line as the DRV S
    A lot of the HDT (heavy duty truck ) community like the larger DRV ones They do it full-time And I haven’t heard one complaint about their quality of service
    If you decide to go that route my suggestion would be to put one panel at least 250+ wt Just dedicated to the house batteries (and yes they will still slowcharge under your canopy) at the same time Don’t discount the used market

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at Arctic Fox on the internet, but haven't seen any here. Believe it or not, this rig is made to be pulled by a 1500. Of course I would never do that. I'm definitely thinking about solar.

      Delete
  6. We purchased in October of last year a Grand Design travel trailer. You can read up on it below.
    https://marleneandbenno.blogspot.com/2020/10/are-we-being-optimistic-or-what.html\
    So far we have been very happy with our purchase and would have been out in the southwest with it if the Covid-pandemic hadn't interfered with our plans. Judging from our previous travel trailers this one is above them in quality and clever space design etc. I'm sure the 5th wheel will be similar. We made a few changes in it, but everyone puts their own personal touch on them, don't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always make me feel better to hear from people who love their trailer. Thanks Marlene. The post wouldn't load, but Diesel Duck did. That looked exciting!!

      Delete
  7. I like it. You can always open the slide a wee to get in the fridge. No big deal. Amazing how light they make them now. You can save repairs till Bill gets down here. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug you and I think alike!! Save the repairs for Bill!! LOL
      Of course Dan has also volunteered his services! I'm a very lucky girl to know such nice men.

      Delete
  8. It look great to me! Has everything you need including a pet drawer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe just how much storage it has. As to the pet drawer, pretty cool idea, except mine won't eat in the same five foot square space. I'll have to work on that!!

      Delete
  9. They are beautiful, Nancy, we've looked at all sizes and models by Grand Design. :) Glad Bill was able to give you some tips and info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill was so helpful ... and of course has so much knowledge about these things. I toured a Solitude yesterday. WOW!!!

      Delete