Monday, February 8, 2021

There Were Signs .....

Yes, there were signs all over.  Mostly private property signs, although occasionally we ran into things like this.  Cyndae and I looked at each other and said hmmmmm.

As we slowly maneuvered down the road and were about to cross a water hole (turns out it was Lake Something Or Other), an elderly lady drove up on a four wheeler.  When I rolled down my window and said we were looking for Cascabel, she said "you know the dot on the map?  You're ON it!"  

Okay ... but I thought there was a small restaurant and maybe a building or two.  No she stated, this is it!  I told her we were out looking for ghost towns and were fascinated with history.   Well just come on in to my place she said, only leave your Jeep outside.

There was a very old mobile home with several large white barrels outside full of something unrecognizable.  I was a little hesitant, but in we went.  Two alpacas came to check us out.  I had already spotted two horses off to one side.  Too bad I missed the dog.  "Walk on up to the cabin" as she drove her four wheeler the opposite direction.

As I looked at the ground, I saw huge bones ... like leg bones ... laying all over the yard.  Cyndae almost tripped over one as I whispered to her, "if she comes back with a knife and a gun, you run one way and I'll run the other"!!  She looked at me like I was cray-cray!  I've watched plenty of movies where the strangers  disappear.  At least I can run faster than Cyndae!!


Past the mobile home was her pride and joy.  Turns out Sue is an entrepreneur.  This old cabin set back in the mountain is over 100 years old.  She rents it out as a Vacation Rental By Owner.  She insisted we go inside and take a look since her newest customers would not arrive until the next day.  "I" insisted she go in first!!


Sure enough, inside the screened porch was a very cool old cabin made of river rock, complete with tile sunflower on the floor entry.  I kept thinking the entire time ... who would want to stay here?


This is Sue standing in the kitchen with her hand on the fridge.  There is only one cupboard which is hanging from the rafters.  Sue said she was pretty happy about cancelling all her reservations last year, since she was so booked she never had time to clean the place up for the next group.  Hmmmmmm.


You can see hints of yellow here and there .... that's the bed that lives in the kitchen/bedroom/dining room.  The window wall doubles as a library bookcase.  If you look in Sue's hand, she is holding a "sanitizing" light she whisked over everything we touched, which wasn't much.  I kept a close eye on the door.


That was it.  I think the entire cabin is maybe 18' x 18' and all made of rocks and concrete.  Want to see the outhouse she asked?  Out the screened porch we went to a small wood building next door.  It's a two-holer!!  Even better, it's a composting two-holer!!  I did not ask how that worked.


We thanked her profusely for letting us see her beautiful old cabin.  I can't say I relaxed, especially after the dog who was almost as tall as me came up behind and gave me a push into the outhouse.  At any rate, it turns out Sue was nice as could be and loved showing off her cabin.  She recently had these postcards made up to give out to customers.  

I did check it out and the River Rock Cabin at Cascabel rents for $55 a night.  Just watch out for the dog and the alpacas who like to spit.  


As it turns out, Sue is also a writer.  This second card is about Saving Red, a rescue horse she apparently took care of.  Red no longer lives here, but somewhere in the Benson area.  


Head on up to the Community Center she said.  This time there ARE no signs of any kind, so we drove carefully up this VERY steep hill, slipping and sliding because I should have put it in 4-wheel drive first.  


There's no one there Sue said ... just walk right on in.  And so we did .......


This beautiful building was built by all the residents of the valley.  There was a tiny food bank set up on a table with a little kitchen in one corner along with lots of books at the far end. 


We sat on the back patio and ate snacks while checking out the view behind the barbecue.  As you can see this is the perfect elevation for saguaros, which were all very happy campers and the biggest I have ever seen!!


Time to head back home down the long dirt road.  We were passed several times by people in pickup trucks racing down the gullies.  When I spotted one pulled over, I thought maybe they had a problem. Out they jumped with cameras in hand .... except for the one guy who had a very nice rifle aimed at something off in the distance.

Needless to say, we didn't stop.  It was time for this adventure to come to an end.  

It didn't take long however, since the NEXT adventure to deep in the heart began early the next morning.


10 comments:

  1. You are certainly two brave souls..lol. I'd say 55 is about all I would pay to stay there, especially with those animals that come with. A place for everyone as they say. Nice that she's able to rent it out. Now, the community center I could definitely stay there!! Beautiful. Looking forward to your next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to stay at the cabin for maybe one night ... maybe!

      Delete
  2. Can you imagine the stories the foreigners or even the easterners have when they tell their friends about staying in that little one room cabin. As for me...it just makes me that much happier that we travel in our own home! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the ambience I suppose! Harkens back to the "old" days!!

      Delete
  3. Very interesting to meet the lady and get a tour of her cabin. A piece of history for $55 a night 😀 the lodge was a nice touch and Sue was able to show you a little piece of history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fascinating who you can meet on the road to adventure. She was a VERY nice lady who was very proud of her cabin!! I would be too!

      Delete
  4. Now that was an adventure! Loved it. That community building is beautiful. Thanks for taking us along with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the kind of adventure I like .... we lived to tell about it!!

      Delete
  5. I just want to know who do you like so much that you want to sit next to them on a two holer ? at the same time 😷🤪 .... And I also wanna know who gets to hold the toilet paper. 🧻 Yes no.. yes No.. it’s mine.. ok... here 3 pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ... way in the back of my brain I was thinking the same thing!! Apparently it works better if you "spread things out"! LOL

      Delete