Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Baby's Got New Shoes

It's been a quick couple of days waiting around for the adjuster who appears to be a no-show.  Just for kicks, I checked the back fence on the OTHER side to discover yet another hole ... a SKUNK hole to be sure.  

The grass is as high as an elephant's eye, so today's list begins with weed spray.  Too bad they don't make skunk spray!!!

I did spend some time fantasizing about a new Big A$$ Truck.  Every time I get to ride in Dan's version, I get goose bumps.  What the heck ... lets look it up just for fun!!  This must be the price of a 3/4 ton Ford Truck with all the bells and whistles if you buy it back East.  Out West, the total should be around $70,000.  Hey, I can dream, right?

 

I even thought about trading in my Jeep (complete with tow bar if anyone is interested in a great toad) along with my existing pickup, for this beauty.  Yes, I did the math.  I would probably not be able to afford the fifth wheel and it would make my Baby very sad to be traded in.  After all, she only has 110,000 miles under her belt.


Sooooo, after taking a good look at her feet, I decided to buy her new tires instead.  Although the old ones had good tread, they were purchased in 2013.  Fine for running around town, but not so much for holding the weight of a fifth wheel.

Baby's now got new shoes!!!  The California cost (due to high taxes) was $1200.00.  Yikes!!

Next up, retrieve the fifth wheel hitch.  When I bought the Class A, I gave this setup to a good friend, although he said he really didn't need it.  Not long after, some lady ran into his new truck and HUGE fifth wheel, destroying everything.  Instead of getting a new hitch, he just used this one.  I didn't know that.  I thought maybe he had it just sitting in his garage, so I called to inquire.

Being the good friend he is, his first words were "you can have it back and I'll buy another one".  You can't beat THAT!!!  So yesterday I went and picked it up.  I think we are back in business!!

Well ... closer anyway.  Now the REAL test begins .. trying to find a small fifth wheel when practically everything is sold out!!

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out how to pack everything I need into my back seat, now crammed to the ceiling.  I'll be leaving first thing tomorrow morning for the return trip to Tucson.  This time I'll be taking it a little slower!!


12 comments:

  1. We're reading and wondering did we miss a post about you deciding on a fifth wheel? Congrats on your decision to get one. Ken likes pulling the trailer but I loved our fifth wheel the best out of all our RVs we've had. Good luck finding one, may take a bit but I know they're out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never mentioned it exactly. I had a fifth wheel originally when I was traveling the country. I want something smaller and less expensive when it comes to maintenance.

      Delete
  2. Yep, the motorhome/RV business is HOT right now. COVID limited production AND demand picked up because people don't want to chance motel/hotel/resort germs right now. Have a cousin's husband who is in the business up near Kansas City and he said he has not seen anything like this...which is WHY you got such a quick good deal on your motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was REALLY hot several months ago, going downhill now in our area. I was surprised they made an offer so fast. Some day I'll tell you why I sold it, besides wanting something smaller and less expensive.

      Delete
  3. Phoenix and Tucson are probably the best areas for buying any RV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Don, although there is a place in California that has tons of them ... they just don't have good service AT ALL! Hoping I'll find something fairly soon.

      Delete
  4. The cost of pickups is unreal which is why we still have a 2008. Looking for 5th wheels is going to be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty crazy, right? Mine is a 2005. I'm just hoping it lasts as long as I do! LOL

      Delete
  5. Happy hunting! Hope you find the perfect 5th wheel for you and family. Good idea not to return in one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's way too far a drive for me!! Two dogs and a parrot. How much room do I need? Hoping for a small one.

      Delete