Saturday, June 13, 2020

Ghosts of Merced Falls

This being gold country in the 1800's, not far from me up in the foothills lies the little town of Merced Falls.  It was originally named California Ranche Crossing, then Belts Ferry since this was one of the few places to cross the Merced River coming from the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Today it's a great fishing location.  There is a small dam that controls the water levels since this is what irrigates many of the properties below IF they had water rights when the property was originally purchased.  Believe it or not, it's also salmon spawning territory.
A huge flour mill was built here in 1856, using the power of the water.  That was followed in 1857 by a post office and in 1867 by a woolen mill.  Strategically placed water wheels ran the whole shebang. There might have been a saloon or two, but nothing that was rowdy enough to be written about.

Sadly in August of 1895 the entire town burned to the ground.  This is all that is left of the mills with a few concrete foundations hidden in the grass.
Also at this location the Yosemite and Sugar Pine Lumber Company built two sawmills to cut up logs brought down from the Yosemite National Park area (before it was a park).  The logs were cut up and shipped out by the Yosemite Vally Railroad.   These ran from 1912 into the 1940's, increasing the town's population to around 1500, mostly lumbermen.
Evidence of the railroad still remains up in the foothills, following the river all the way down to Merced Falls.  If the tracks were really steep, they set up steam donkeys (steam machines with cable systems) to hook on to cars and keep them from running away down the hill.  

Once at the bottom, the logs were rolled into the river and floated to the pond, as in the above picture.  The men rode the logs as they maneuvered them into the chain that pulled them into the mill.  This car has three logs ... most only had ONE they were so huge.
Much of the concrete sawmill remains at the edge of the river, but it's all on private property.  Believe me, you will get shot by the grumpy old man that lives nearby.  The mill lasted until about 1943 when it shut down.  When the Central Pacific Railroad was built along the North-South corridor of the Central Valley, the town became basically abandoned.  There are only a few residents left, along with one very old bar, now closed.  They are always the last to go.
This is one of the haunts of ..... wait for it ..... Joaquin Murietta and Three-Fingered Jack, or so the stories go.  I can certainly imagine them riding out across this gorgeous country on the exact same road I'm driving on ... without the pavement that is.
Next up ... JAIL and it's sometimes partner, the CEMETERY.  





12 comments:

  1. So glad you got out of the house and went on a little adventure. So many old, abandoned little towns in those foothills of California. I had not heard of Merced Falls before....thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much there Dave, just a little history. Many like it around here.

      Delete
  2. I'd not heard of the falls either! But it made me think of sweet little Mariposa, so I did a search of this blog to see if you'd been up there with your camera. Came up with a few references to the fire a few years ago, but no photos. You need to take this blog there sometime!
    I'll never forget my first time to Mariposa. I'd been in Merced for a few days for a wedding when the tule fog was thick. It was kinda depressing hanging around with that stuff just parked over my head for days, frankly. So my Dad, my aunt & I piled into the car & drove up toward the park. On the way up we finally crested over the fog & a picturesque Greek Revival courthouse & pristine white clapboard church came into view just as the the sun burst through & came streaming down & it was love at first sight for me. If you were squinting, as I was, the little village looked like New England! The park road was closed ahead so we just knocked around Mariposa for the day. My Dad, a craft beer fan, had to check out a little place there with brews he'd not yet tried, my aunt headed straight to all the funky shops & I went wandering in the perfect sunny weather to hunt architecture. Sigh. It was one of those great days that stay with you forever, so I have a soft spot in my heart for that little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely put it on my list. In fact, I'll be up there soon since that's where I have my appointment with DMV to get my driver's license.

      Delete
  3. Love all the info. When the girls were home and then later after they left, we really enjoyed day trips to places like this. And there are so many places !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOTS of interesting history about hunting for gold. Little towns sprang up everywhere.

      Delete
  4. Loved the story! What a nice trip for you and all in just a day! The river is beautiful. Never heard of Merced Falls before. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual falls (which I did not get a picture of) are all of three feet high! LOL

      Delete
  5. Like the others, we have never heard of Merced Falls either. I can almost picture the logging in full operation. Some of those trees were unbelievably big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still see stumps of some of the biggest trees I've ever seen. It's amazing how they logged that area of steep hills and canyons.

      Delete
  6. What a great story although tragic that the entire town was lost in fire. Do you ever wonder when you see these old pictures of people "what would they think of the way things are done today? they could never imagine a booming town or city of such huge proportions. Love the pictures, Nancy, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think about that Patsy. They would be amazed to be moving along the roads at 60-70 mph.

      Delete