Wednesday, June 10, 2020

A Whirlwind Of Energy

Not really.  Energy is something that went bye bye about two birthdays ago.  I do actually have the want, just not the get up and go.

I was up early to finish packing for the trip to the dump.  I haven’t been there since I was probably ten.  It used to be you just drove in, dumped your stuff and waved at the guy soon to be scrounging through your throwaways for stuff he could sell.  Once in a blue moon someone would run a caterpillar up over the top.

I stopped for two seconds on the way out to admire my hydrangea.  Once a year they are downright pretty!
What a difference a few years makes at the dump.  Now you drive on to the scales, one at a time, and wait for the guy ahead to pay his deposit (just to be sure you don’t run off without paying the “official” dollar amount) and pick up three sodas and two candy bars.  No kidding, they sell food here?

With my tag in hand and sketchy directions, I headed off to locate the appliance dump.  The old microwave was past it’s prime.  With no one to direct me, I just dumped it on the ground.  Next up, I got in line to drop off the wood.  At one point I jumped out and ran to the guy behind me, asking if he had any idea where in the heck I was supposed to go.  He didn’t have a clue.

At last a nice man said I was going the wrong way.  Lucky for me, that meant I wasn’t going to have to pay the big bucks.  He called in the change and backed me into a pile of logs.  

Ten minutes later I had unloaded 260 pounds of wood.  How could that be?  No wonder my back hurt this morning.  On the way out, I was just praying I didn’t get a flat tire with all the nails and broken glass.  

After another even longer wait in line, I was weighed out the door with a $20 bill.  I too had to pay a $40 deposit.  Just like McDonalds, I got change back.  No pictures, as it was all I could do to keep from getting run over by about twelve HUGE garbage trucks dumping in the exact same spot as me.  It was exciting, to say the least.  Everyone was honking and waving their arms like it was the fourth of July.
Back home, I worked on my cooking skills, taking a chance on scones.  I love scones if they aren’t too dry.  With a brand new bakery recipe in hand, I whipped them up in record time.  Weirdest recipe ever.  No milk, no eggs, no butter, no shortening … just cream, flour, baking powder, salt and the flavoring of your choice.  

I was even able to scrounge up some sugar chunks for the top.  Not near sweet enough, I smothered them in a fresh lemon glaze.  Woohoo that made my mouth pucker!!  I gave them the real test this morning with my coffee.  They get a B+.  Next up, either maple or blueberry.  I apologize I can't give out the recipe.  It did come from a bakery and I promised not to give it away.
With those done, I spent another 30 minutes getting soaked in the back yard, trying to figure out why I have these big brown spots in my lawn.  One sprinkler was plugged with blue stuff, maybe pipe glue (?) and one was completely buried under mud.  Oh the fun!!

I’m off this morning early to drop my truck at the repair shop.  After that, an eye appointment.  Assuming I can see, I’ll drive back home and call everyone I know for a ride to get my truck.  Worst case, I can walk.  It’s only about four miles.  I have to work off those scones somehow!!








18 comments:

  1. I enjoy your writing style! It always makes me smile. The scones look great. I remember those days when you could just take "stuff" to the dump and drop it off. When Dean and I were in Chetopa (my old hometown) a few days ago I actually thought about that. The dump there was in the park where the river often raised to a point it covered the dump area. That has changed of course with all of the regulations. I remember going with my grandma, and seeing people scrounging around to find "treasures". In fact, she might have too! Lol!
    After moving to Oswego and working in the City Office, a woman came in once with a billfold. When she opened it, the name of a prominent citizen in our community was on it. My co-worker told me she often was often at the dump going through things. I sure hope that is where she got it! HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! You never know who you will meet at the dump!

      Delete
  2. To the dump to the dump to the dump dump dump. Yes, I remember those easy dump days too. I don't like going now with Bill although I will to help unload. I'm more afraid of getting stuck in the mud or getting a flat tire too.
    The scones look great but I'm glad you can't give the recipe out because I'd be missing all those good keto things! milk, eggs, butter, shortening. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Patsy ... that brings back memories. We used to sing that while we were going to the dump!!!

      Delete
  3. Those hydrangeas do look pretty! I loved my peony's at my old house but they only bloom once and then the plant isn't even pretty anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Jeanette ... they bloom beautiful, then die back completely. Takes them forever to grow and bloom again.

      Delete
  4. I remember having to leave a Hundred Dollar deposit in Florida to drop off an RV Mattress. In Windsor it's all One Way over a scale going in, over a scale going out that has a heavy stop gate. Run that and it will cost more in car repairs then the dumping cost.
    The scones look tasty. The more you exercise the more energy you'll have getting you back those two years.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your eye test.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's too bad they don't burn trash in some fancy new kind of burner. The huge mountains of garbage are becoming a problem even if they are covered up with dirt.

      Delete
  5. Could you not leave it by your trashcan curbside?. here in Florida they have a certain day they pick up trash an another day for curbside considered recycle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, sadly they don't allow that here. If it's not in your can, it stays on the ground.

      Delete
  6. I remember as a kid going to the dump with dad in Sacramento...a BUNCH of homes sit over that site now. If you take Business 80 out of Sacramento towards Cal Expo, the "hills" to your right and left are both old dumps too. Now there are homes on one side, not sure when they will build on the other side. I DOUBT they disclose to the buyer that their home is on a dump site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. The builder was sued like you can't imagine because mold began to show up in the houses. They tore down most of them and he went broke. I can't believe they would approve anything like that.

      Delete
  7. You could try putting the Uber app on your phone for those days when a ride is hard to come by. I am not much of a phone person, but the Uber app is pretty easy to do. Of course, the only problem is that where we live is so far out that there is hardly ever any Uber cars available, but where you are, that shouldn't be a problem. Would be good for when you are out honky tonkin and don't want to drive ome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that. Duh ...... I do think there are a few drivers around here. Next time I'll give them a call!!!

      Delete
  8. Everytime Jerry goes to the dump he comes home with stories. It is an adventure. That was interesting info from Dave about the "hills". When we moved to this area there was no Roseville Mall. My neighbor said she was going to the Roseville Mall. What? She meant the dump. I guess they used to pull out stuff and you could take it or buy it. Don't know if the items were free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one I've never heard about "Roseville". LOL

      You do see weird stuff at the dump.

      Delete
  9. I remember as a child going to the dump with my dad cause there were always goodies to be found at very cheap prices :) The scones look yummy and so does your chicken salad! Hope you have no problem getting the a/c fixed and also get a ride home. I need an eye appt too I'm thinking. The joys of getting old LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smoked chicken salad is the BEST!! I don't do many appointments, and the eyes are the worst. They always have to dilate and torture you!!

      Delete