Sunday, June 7, 2020

About Those Ribs ....

There are lots of different smokers out there.  The Dad of one of my oldest friends used a refrigerator.  Way back when Amazon Prime first showed up, I bought this Bradley.  I got free shipping and 50% off.  About three feet tall, it's perfect for my back yard and my experimental cooking.
Smoking is something you have to do often to keep your skills up to par.  I haven't done that.  It makes it hard to "try" things when the meat costs so much.  Since the chicken came out entirely edible, I wanted to try ribs again.

There are just as many rubs for the meat as there are men in the world.  I had a great one (a rub that is), but of course can no longer lay my little fingers on the recipe.  In desperation, I combined three different ones that sounded good.  But first, you dye your fingers by smearing yellow mustard over the entire thing.  Surprisingly, it does not add any flavor.

Once doused with your favorite spices, you let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, then on the counter for 30 minutes before stashing it in the smoker at 220 degrees.
It's a process.  There's lot of couch sitting in between tending the ribs.  Spray with apple juice once each hour.  After two hours, you hit the STALL, whatever that is.  Time to take them out, wrap in heavy foil and back they go, at which time you turn the smoking part off.  One more hour and you sauce them up nicely before one LAST hour (or 30 minutes in my case) makes them perfect.  
They were fall-off-the-bone tender.  Remind me to add more salt to the next recipe.  One long rib (cut in half for smoking) will last me four days.  Oh my goodness they are GOOD!!!
One last picture so you can see just how meaty these were with little to no fat.  Costco sells prime beef and pork .... the best in my book, even if it does cost a little more.  At least that $40 package had THREE big slabs of ribs in it.  
Just to celebrate my WIN in the smoking department, I made a quick trip to the Yogurt store.
After resting up from such a tasty meal, I headed on off to the local Wildlife Refuge.  Everyone said it was closed, but SURPRISE!!  The gates were open.  It felt good to be stalking wildlife again.




10 comments:

  1. Those ribs and the yogurt look absolutely awesome!! My sons (especially the youngest) have smokes and use them frequently. Smoked stuff gives me migraines otherwise I'd love to eat it! Lots of work involved there Nancy! It does look like you'll be eating well for the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun past time ... kind of like a hobby that keeps you busy for awhile. I use cherry wood so the smoke isn't so extreme. Just a hint of smoke flavor is good enough for me.

      Delete
  2. Never had the time to experiment with smoking meats but it looks like you did it perfectly as the meat is fully cooked.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the refuge.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big surprise ... it came out perfect. My last foray into smoking didn't turn out so well ... and I had company, no less.

      Delete
  3. Turkey Falls off the bone chicken excellent ham good ribs out of this world or brisket fantastic look up what they call an .. Orion cooker..look at the recipe
    If you want to use smoke you get the wood chips of whatever flavor you like and you put it on the inside bottom of your cooker averages one cup of wood for smoke two or 3 cups it overpowers to meat
    You could do one big ass turkey about one hour be careful taking it out it'll fall apart or six racks of ribs 50 minutes and that's fall off the bone as well
    Never tried the mustard But don't use anything that has sugar in it because the sugar burns the meat and changes the flavor
    looks like your ribs came out great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mustard may help to tenderize a bit, but mostly it just holds the rub on the meat.

      Delete
  4. The ribs look wonderful!! My mouth is watering! We bought a slab from a guy Dean plays golf with. He pulled his smoker to the golf course to cook them. Some of the best ribs I've ever had!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing just how much flavor they can get from smoking. Our Sheriff does the best ones around here, but mine were edible this time. Last time, not so much!

      Delete
  5. Wow, the ribs looked amazing! I'm sure they tasted even better. Patience is a virtue and all that watching, spicing, waiting, turning and foiling paid off BIG time! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth the wait and it gave me something to do all day other than just sit. LOL

      Delete