Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Checks and Crashes

 Another day ..... another dollar ...... SPENT!  Or maybe not if the check hasn't been cashed.  I didn't get much sleep, waiting for someone to come banging on my door.  Here's how that happened.  I can pay bills automatically on-line through the Bill Pay at my bank.  The bank can send the money electronically if it is a big business.  For an individual, they actually send out a check.

In over ten years, I have never had a bill NOT get paid or have the check lost in the mail.  I called the bank once already and they said they would look it up and call me back.  Of course they did not.  So yesterday I went by.  After 30 minutes standing there, they came up with nothing.  Yup the money came out of my account, but they have no idea whether the check got cashed or not.  

I explained the situation and they said ... once again ... they would call me back.  Come on guys ... I need a copy of that check before I am accosted in my front yard!!!  We shall see what happens.


Then there was the frenzy of phone calls ... the back yard curbing will be installed at the end of May, and low and behold .... the landscaper will come today to look at the dead grass.  Here it is again for your viewing pleasure!  


I would like to do something like this walkway down the entire side and get rid of ALL the grass and sprinklers.  Less work, less sprinklers to replace.  I'm sure it's going to cost more, but at least I can ask today at noon when he shows up.


Maybe a jelly donut will settle me down.  I've cut back on the sugar and carbs big time and it shows.   I'm craving carbs!!  Actually this is another of those berry upside down cakes with a few berries the size of a pea.  I have to admit, it hit the spot.  I was smiling again, just in time to head out to Bingo!


But first ... let's do a safety inspection.  Oh my great aunt Susie!!  I thought we would get done in 30 minutes, but it took well over an hour.  Someone took their job seriously, so we got a lesson in the kitchen fire suppression system that isn't even on the list.  That is inspected by the installer AND the Fire Department every six months.  

This is just a cursory inspection by us NON-professionals to see if there are any glaring safety problems, like torn carpet you might fall on, or boxes of junk that might help a fire burn.  DO NOT CHECK THAT BOX!!  If we find anything, we get it fixed immediately and check the OK box.  

It's a good thing to do since we found two battery operated safety lights (in case we lose electricity) were non-operational.  New batteries have been ordered.  On the other hand, the AC system is NOT on the list, so why do you want to crawl through the attic?  The good news is I found a tiny room up there where I can go to scream and no one will hear me.  Someone was already there, as evidenced by the empty beer bottle.

Back to Bingo ... it was more fun than usual because though we started out with plenty of help, they bailed on us in the first two hours, leaving no one to work the floor.  The King was not a happy camper, but what can you do?  I can't leave the cash register, which is probably a good thing since I don't play well with cranky demanding folks who think you should wait on them.  


Everyone won the bingos, everyone got paid and I was out the door on the run, just like everyone else, only I had been there since 2:00 pm.  

This wonderful picture is what I encountered on the way home.  This is a State Highway that was completely blocked by flashing lights.  Great picture, eh?  What happened you ask?  That was MY question.  Apparently there was a good reason I was late from Bingo.  This was a high speed chase that ended in a head-on collision with three cars.  You can just imagine how bad it was.

The helicopter was taking one to the hospital.  I don't think the other two made it, and there may have been more.  I'm praying no law enforcement were hurt, and I thanked God for making me stay late at Bingo.  It surely could have been me.


If I'm really lucky, I may get to sneak in a nap before the landscaper arrives.  I got a whole 4 hours sleep before Cooper tapped me on the shoulder at 4:00 am.  I love my dog .. I love my dog .. I love my dog.  Yes, yes I do!!!



19 comments:

  1. if the bank deducted your money for the paybill check and sent it, let’s say it got lost not cashed that check becomes void and nul in 90 days my sneaky suspicion is the homeowner or the 23 people living there cashed your check
    Look at it another way if he did a lousy job and knocked all your sprinkler heads down, he deserves not to get a check

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree 100%. It's going to cost as much as that check to get the landscape lighting fixed that they destroyed the last time they trimmed the bushes.

      Delete
  2. Our online bank works like yours, but I can get an image of the check once the check is cashed. IF, after six months I think, if a online check is not cashed, they cancel it and put the money back into your account. Our bank made it clear that this, online banking, is a service they contract with and THAT is why it is so hard to get answers. We had a HOA check that did not get their, I wrote another and sent. About a month later we got a letter from the post office and inside the remains of that first check all eaten up by a machine. Another time, another HOA check, took a full month to get there...I had already written another check, which they cashed, so that first check became the next months check, and all was well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true ... but this guy isn't going to wait six months to find out and I'm not writing another check, to find out he cashed BOTH. If they find it was not cashed, I can put a stop payment on it and he can come get another one. He got the last three checks I sent to that address.

      Delete
    2. With that first HOA check I went to the bank and they said I could stop payment, but it would cost me $25! I nearly pulled all our funds out of there...I do have way more funds in our other banking institution, but that will drop a bunch when we purchase our next motorhome. Banks suck...

      Delete
  3. These banks don't seem to care much. Personal service is a thing of the past.
    Enjoy your Wednesday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God you had to stay late and you are safe .
    Strange how those things happen. We were in a Mexican
    restaurant last night and a tornado came though and we were
    so lucky. We were taken into the walk in cooler. It was over quick and we were so blessed. The building we were in did well but the other buildings in the parking lot were badly damaged.
    Our truck needs some attention and so did others need fixing but were were all so lucky.
    It looked like a war zone when we walked out. Had to zig zag on the roads to get out of the area. Our grandson was filming and taking pictures.
    I told our grandson welcome to Mi. He just got in the night before.
    Have a good day Nancy !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT?? I've never heard of tornados in MI. I would have been scared to death!!!! I am SO very happy you guys are okay!!! Must have been a very scary ordeal!

      Delete
  5. Looking at that side yard with the hazmat spill (that is what you have there) I would just put pea gravel there, and forget it. No maintenance with pea gravel, just rake it once in a while, and treat it with lots of Preen before the 1st rain in the fall, and you are good to go.
    Remember, a lawn is an import from the east where it rains all summer, NOT a natural feature in a semi desert which is really the climate where you live in CA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Kenny .... we do think alike!! That is exactly what I decided to do!! Very little maintenance ... no sprinklers!

      Delete
  6. Hello Nancy, Jim McManus from years ago. I stumbled on your blog a few weeks ago and you were talking about getting your air filter changed and mentioned the cab air filter behind the glove box. I had never heard about it either.
    This week I looked it up on YouTube and found a couple of clips. You open the glove box, squeeze the sides in and pull the glove box out. One of the clips was by a woman who said all Jeeps are shipped from the factory with no cab air filters. She installed her's at 90K,
    I got an STP part from Advanced Auto and installed it myself after watching the YouTube clips. Cost $20. They were a bit of a challenge to fit in correctly, but with patients it worked.
    I have been doing a lot of off roading in my Wrangler Sport Unlimited and the cab was full of dirt blowing out of the AC vents every time I turned on the AC, a cloud of dust came flying out.
    Thanks for the info. Have you got yours installed yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim .... long time no see!!! Hope you are doing well. It seems lots of vehicles have that glove box filter and none of us knew it! My Jeep actually came with it ... they just changed it out for a new one. It should work really good on your Wrangle, especially off roading!!

      Delete
  7. How you pay bills is confusing to me, here when you pay via online banking there is no cheque involved the money just goes into who you are paying account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I see ..... yes that happens with businesses, but not individuals here. Individuals get a check. Sounds much easier down under!!

      Delete
  8. A walkway would be nice, not maintenance at all. I think our electronic checks work the same way as yours. Very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything will look good to me if I don't have to cut or water it!

      Delete
  9. I pay my landscapers cash before leaving my house.
    Lay heavy plastic down (visqueen?) then river rock on top ! Add some decorations from your Arizona yard!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup that's a very good idea. I will either do that or write a check from now on. And yes, we think alike too. Plastic covered by larger rocks that won't move when they blow the leaves away! Easy peasy maintenance.

      Delete