Sunday, October 29, 2023

Weird Photography

 Woohoo ... the frost was on the pumpkin on this day!  Winter has arrived as it gets colder and colder in the mornings.  That makes for a second cup of coffee while waiting for it to warm up before going outside.  Now is the time we start praying for rain, because it's WARMER when it rains.

Time for Nancy to put on her big girl pants and climb UP ON THE ROOF ... where all your cares just drift into space ... up on the roof.  Yup that's the song I was singing as I put the slide out.  Gosh ... it grumbled, stuttered for about a foot (luckily kept going) and finally stopped.  Well at least it went OUT.  Hopefully it comes back IN.

Then I got out my Quartzsite extend-o-ladder and set it up alongside.  I thought that might feel safer than climbing the ladder in back.  I was wrong.


I made it up on the roof, but it was a little shaky.  Good grief ... nothing about this roof is flat.  It tilts off to the side, the front and the back.  I crawled on hands and knees ... buck up girl, you can do this ... until I had made the rounds.  It all looked pretty good, but then again, I didn't get very close to the edge.  DARN ... when the guy was here cleaning my solar panels, I should have had him clean these too.  

The climb down wasn't as fun as the climb UP.  There's just nothing to hang on to.  Next time I'll wait until I'm in Quartzsite where I can sweet talk someone into holding the ladder for me.  On the other hand, I didn't die, so there's that!!


I spent the next hour wiping down the slide seals with special slide stuff.  I thought about doing the same with the slide gears or rails, whatever you call them ... but didn't have the correct spray.  I ordered a can of Lippert stuff especially for the occasion, although some people swear you don't need to do anything.  I breathed a big sigh of relief when the slide went back in.  Am I the only one who holds their breath??

There was lots more time on the new phone and computer, trying to get my four email addresses to work.  At this point my computer doesn't want to recognize any of them and they go straight to the junk folder.   One doesn't work at all.  I can't get it to like the one that involves the CHP truck registration, which I'm sure is going to result in NO inspection.  It's been a week and I haven't heard back from them.

In the meantime, I thought I might experiment with some weird images.  This is infrared photography.  I've never done it before.  This is my back yard on a bright sunny day.  Look for contrast they said.  Well really, there's not much of that in my back yard, but there is this beautiful green tree.  

Does this look all out of focus?  That's because it is.  When you put the filter on the lens, you can't see anything at all.  They forgot to tell me that part.  You have to focus the camera first, THEN put the filter on.  My first five images came out as black as night ... maybe blacker!!  Cool for Halloween though!


Then you download those images into your computer program and start messing with the colors.  Obviously this isn't great ... but for a first shot, I'm happy I got anything at all!!  Terribly out of focus ... because, well you already know, but the tree looks pretty cool.  It looks like a tornado is coming through.   Much more practice is required.


Since it was a full moon night, and the tripod was already set up, I went out after the sun went down.  I don't do that very often!!  The moon was just coming up over the trees next door.


It always surprises me just how fast the moon rises.  It's going great guns!!  Too bad it wasn't HALLOWEEN last night.


This is the Hunters Moon, but also known as the Dying Grass Moon.  The Native Americans in the North and East named the moons so they could track the seasons.  This month it gets cold and the grass dies off.  This month they need to hunt for winter food.


The moon always amazes me ... what are the dark spots?  What are the tiny light spots?  Look down towards the bottom right and it looks like a stem was attached there.  Too bad the astronauts didn't put a big X  so we could see where they landed.


Anyway, pretty cool when you think about this being another planet spinning around in space.  Even more amazing that we are doing the same thing.

It's Sunday, a day of rest, but I will probably still be chipping away at the piles of STUFF throughout the house ... after I fix my email accounts.





25 comments:

  1. Since I am out hunting as I read this, I will call it a Hunter's Moon. And no, you are not the only one who breathes a sigh of relief every time your slide goes in or out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I guess the Indians were right. May your bullets fly straight!

      Delete
  2. Nancy please becareful on that ladder! I'm one to talk I'd do the same thing. Lol
    Happy Sunday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me Frances ... I am VERY careful!! But I do need to find an alternative.

      Delete
  3. Yes I will help you. As far as the slide lubricating goes, yes it has to be the right stuff, if you use grease, dirt gathers and makes it harder for the slide to go in and out. See you in Quartzsite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bill. Maybe by the time I get there the rain will have washed off my solar panels! The roof looked pretty good I thought, but what do I know!

      Delete
  4. Great moon shots!! Very bright in my back yard about 10:30 last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it beautiful?? Really bright here too ... like daylight when you are trying to sleep!

      Delete
  5. Mr. Ed said they did. just look for the junk pile on the moon. It’s there somewhere.
    Why can’t you get a Paper copy of the proof of Vin number?
    The next time you’re riding around and you see a cop sitting Or at a donut shop have them fill it out his signature and badge number should make it legit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another dangerous day behind you, Nancy. Glad your slide works and I'm sure once you get to Quartzsite, you'll get all checked out. No moon for us. Rain and clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear the rain and snow is coming. Stay warm you two!! Or three with Yuma.

      Delete
  7. Marcia holds her breath each and every time we bring the slide in...going out does not bother her. As for your solar panel up top, you can probably wash it with a soft mop, very little bit of that Dawn Platinum and a hose. Think of it this way, is a little bit of water spots better than all that dust that is up on it now? If you have a Swiffer, you can attach a terry cloth to it and dry them off when you are down. And you should be able to do all this while on that special ladder you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why didn't I think of that? But I think I'm going to use the other BIG ladder. They are really dirty at the moment.

      Delete
  8. Slides going out....slides going in....I pray!!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Elva ... me too. Isn't that funny? I think we ALL do.

      Delete
  9. Nice moon pics and you have a lot of Grit getting on the roof of your RV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Well, someone has to do it, I just try to be very careful.

      Delete
  10. Hi Nancy!
    I tired emailing you a couple of times but it keeps sending it back.
    Just wondering if you are having problems with your emails?
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have been having trouble Frances ... I sent one to you with some alternatives. See if those work.

      Delete
  11. You stay off that roof!! It's scary but that is the ladder Bill used for going up. The rv ladder is too shaky.
    I pray each time for the bedroom slide and you know why. Shawn at Showalter told me that i should never have to do that, especially now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your slide is all fixed up for the duration. They did a great job on repairing it. I don't mind the roof if I have a nice stable ladder. My old RV never bothered me, but it was a FLAT roof.

      Delete
  12. Yes, every time we hit the button to send our slide out and bring it in a little prayer is said.
    What a wonderful life Frank, Red Feather lived. What a great way to celebrate his life. I am sure he was smiling down on all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Class A slides may be built a little better than the fifth wheels? I never had a problem with my old one.

      Delete
  13. We are all very happy you didn't die. So there's that. :O)
    Bobseyes

    ReplyDelete