Sunday, October 22, 2023

Just Hanging Out

 Woohoo ... there is frost on the pumpkin!!  That was a really short transition between summer and winter. The best part is I can now turn the sprinklers WAY down.  I am definitely loving the cooler weather.

There was one little glass of celebration for the house sale.  I came across a bottle of Mudslide under the sink when I was cleaning it out.  I wonder where THAT came from?  Can alcohol go bad?  It tasted pretty good, but I'm not really a drinker.  It went back under the sink for the next celebration.


As everyone is aware, fuel is outrageously expensive.  It always surprises me when inflation raises to a crazy high, fuel goes up even higher.  Is that really necessary?  It seems to me that as usual, the middle man is ripping us off.  I think their philosophy is something like ... if they will pay that much for food, they will pay ANYTHING for fuel ... because people still have to go to work!

I drive my Jeep because I get a little better mileage.  Not much, but a little.  Gas is $5.09 a gallon at this station.  You can't blame it on California, because our fuel tax is only 50 cents of that amount.  It was 50 cents when the price of fuel was $3.50.  So who is getting all the money?????  By the way, gas in Vail Arizona is running about $4.60 a gallon.


But I digress.  I went to the store because they had whole chickens on sale for 97 cents a pound.  Still not great, but a lot better than the $2.00 a pound it's been recently.  Inflation has never been higher in my entire long life.  I wonder why?????  Okay, I won't go there.

With one very small bag of groceries in tow, I headed back home.  It was time to hang my quilt rack.  I would love to put up more quilts, but Cowboy comes first.  At last this one was on the rack.  Instantly a problem arose.  It sticks out from the wall WAY too far.  I'll have to contemplate this one for awhile.


In case you didn't know, the 2023 rodeo season is over.  The National Finals will be held in Las Vegas the first of December.  So what's a girl to do when there's no rodeo to cheer on?  She sews ... at least as long as her back will allow, which is finally feeling better ... sort of.  I'm okay as long as I don't overdo it, which of course I do at every turn.  I've never been one to be sedentary.

I think this one will be a beauty.  This isn't where those squares will live, but it makes a nice picture.  Gee, only 72 more squares to go!!  


Speaking of bugs and such ... which I wasn't ... I am reminded that they exist everywhere.  When I was outside, I felt something tiny crawling on my arm.  I couldn't even see it at first.  I tried to squish it with terrible results.  It bit me.  I'm pretty sure it was what we call a no-see-um, or little black gnat.  Possibly a baby spider?

I woke up to this.  Apparently in my old age I have become sensitive to buggy things that never bothered me before.  Yes, it's going to be Benadryl for breakfast.


Dinner will make it all better.  This will be tonight's gourmet meal since I ate the other half last night.  There's nothing like tuna and noodles to soothe the soul.  Maybe it will help my arm too.


I'll just be hanging out today, counting the pennies in my change jar.  I have to register my truck and RV in California.  I'm sure it's going to be a shock to my system, but I can't complain too much.  I'm going to the small office in the foothills where they are friendly.   I'm saving much more than that by not having a second house, but if you hear me scream, you'll know why.



20 comments:

  1. You are getting things done.
    Love all of the quilts you have. The cowhide is awesome!
    Have a fantastic Saturday!
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had cowhides around forever. They make great rugs.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful quilt you hung up...you do such nice work with your quilts.
    Heck go back and buy more whole chickens at that price...have not seen that price in ages.
    Have a good day !
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. That's a pattern from Nurse Patty Chance!! She's got some good ones!

      Delete
  3. When considering tax on gasoline in California, don't forget state imposes sales tax on gasoline which does vary directly with price of gallon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked the breakdown lately, but that is "supposed" to be included in the 57 cent tax, not to mention 18 cent federal tax.

      Delete
  4. Come to Florida gas is only three dollars a gallon
    As for the mudslides These are the main ingredients: Rum, Non-Dairy Creamer, Natural Flavor & Other Natural Flavors. The one ingredient that makes it questionable is the non-dairy creamer even so you put it under the sink the next time you go to bingo ask the bartender .
    Why not just register it in Alaska? I’m sure Mr. C could give you pointers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rum? I thought it was vodka. You can tell I'm not a drinker! LOL. I've thought of that, but it's complicated. Your driver's license is supposed to match the State. If it doesn't, they can give you grief. That means a trip to Alaska to get your license renewed. Probably not a bad thing .. a nice vacation!

      Delete
  5. Periodically Raley's sells whole chickens for 97 cents a pound. We also have noseeums but I don't react like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were the first chickens I've seen that weren't $15.00 each, and most were $20.

      Delete
  6. Are you sure you are not renting a room from the Chance Family so at least one vehicle, perhaps vehicle and trailer, can remain in Arizona??? That looks like a spider bite...keep an eye on it. Nice to see the SOLD sign in Zillow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thought of all kinds of ways to get around the license fees, but I'm MOSTLY an honest person. I'm really not one to toss the dice and hope I don't get in trouble. The bite is much better today.

      Delete
  7. I think. 99 a pound is excellent! Nice find! O don't buy whole chickens though, no room in the freezer.
    Ouch, that bite looks painful.
    So far in MI and IN we're seeing fuel between $4.69 to $4.25.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuel is definitely not cheap here, but apparently chicken is ... at the moment anyway. Chop those chickens up and they will fit!!!

      Delete
  8. Gosh, I've never cooked a whole chicken. I buy the broasted ones at Fry's - already cooked!! My sister in law rented a Toyota 4 Runner this morning....heading to Safford,Az and back on Tues. Gas tank on empty....thanks a lot AVIS. Don't know the price per gallon but cost $72.34 to fill it....should get her there and back ..... maybe. Love your quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned how to barbecue them on my Weber Q grill. Boy are they good, but it is time consuming. The Toyota should get pretty good mileage. It seems the rental companies NEVER put fuel in any more.

      Delete
  9. This comment is late, but it is about the eclipse. I still remember when you gave us those eclipse glasses at Thousand Trails in Washington. We were so happy to use them. I always read your blog. I also love your pictures! I tried commenting using my phone - but it gave me an error. I guess blogger doesn't like Apple computer/phone comments. I will see if this one post since I am on the Chrome browser. Mary Klinger Klinger Musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that day like yesterday Mary! That's the best eclipse I've ever seen!! I've been keeping up with your blog too!!! Time to get out of that snow country! LOL

      Delete
  10. Re the quilt hanging out too far...maybe installing rod holders (the ones the rod just lays in)further back on the rack and using them instead of putting the rod thru the holes in the rack...clear as mud? I think the quilt would hid the new brackets. Enjoy your blog, reminds me of when I was a kid on the farm, probably many more years ago than you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea!! That's a perfect solution. Thank you for passing it along ... and thank you for being a reader. It's fun to reminisce about the OLD days! Not many of us "farmers" left!

      Delete