Wednesday, October 11, 2023

And Then There Was BINGO!

 I think I would rather be chased by a mad cow than go to Bingo.  Oh not really ... there are some very nice people at Bingo that I love to talk to.  It would be a lot more fun however if my back wasn't giving me fits.  It's not painful so to speak, it just burns from using all the muscles in my upper back.  Who knew that just using your hands to do stuff would affect those so much!

My plan to do absolutely nothing worked great until I got there, but first ... let's go to COSTCO!!


I have absolutely no idea why I've become such a hermit.  Me ... the shopper extraordinaire ... has become someone who hates to go to the grocery store.  Lucky for us, it opens at 9:00 every single morning of the week.  

I picked Monday.  Turns out it was a holiday for someone named Columbus.  Just my luck.  Everyone and their brother was off and heading to Costco.  The nice folks there even open the door 10-15 minutes early. That's unheard of!  There was a MAD DASH for the chicken department!  

No kidding ... people started snatching up those chickens like there was no tomorrow.  I was right in the melee!  Isn't she gorgeous??  I got TWO, for the same $4.99 price they have always been.  

What came first ... the chicken or the egg?  This time it was the chicken, but eggs were next.  A nice two dozen carton for $5.00.  I'll do the math for you ... that's $2.50 a dozen instead of $5.69 a dozen at the other stores.  Costco knows how to bring in the customers!!


Then there was the OOPS!!  I drove my cart a little too close to a five foot tall display of these bad boys and one fell in.  What was I to do?  


I took a trip down the aisle to PRIME BEEF land and was a little shocked.  I don't think I've ever seen a package of meat that was priced at $147.00.  It was just a small chunk of fillet mignon.  I quickly turned my cart around and headed back towards the hamburger.  I did peruse the pork and picked up a package of pork loin.  Wooweeee these prices are high.  We might still be in the beef business if prices were this ridiculous way back when!  Of course we all know the cattlemen never get paid anywhere NEAR that much for the beef.

I picked up a huge case of water, hoping I would find someone to load it in my Jeep. How could I be so lucky ... a nice Costco employee came to my rescue.  When I got home however, it was another story.  I actually brought in one item at a time.  The water is still in the Jeep.  Nancy is not a dummy!

Except when she goes to Bingo.  I immediately got in trouble because I opened our desk 15 minutes early. 10 is acceptable ... 15 NOT.  I forgot to check with the back room to see if they were ready.  I took all the blame while my Fairy Godmother ran the register.  Unfortunately, Cinderella never showed up to count the cards.  I've decided that's harder than working the infernal machine.  I'll know better next time.

We actually cruised along quite well, in spite of all the new players.  Most are rather shocked at the prices, but truly, it's a good deal.  You can play Bingo games for a full five hours for $34.00.  Dinner runs about $6.00 and you get to listen to really bad jokes from the caller and watch the wrestling matches for free.

On this night however, there was some bad news.  One of our very sweet elderly players passed away three days ago.  Her family decided to come and play Bingo in her honor because she loved it so much.  Her ENTIRE family!  They reserved a table and we said a little prayer.  You just never know what's going to happen at Bingo.

By the end of the night my back was on fire.  The infernal machine tried to tax my patience but I fooled it. I was $5.00 off and I didn't care one little bit.  I threw everything in the box and headed out the door.  When I got home, I had the perfect remedy for my pain.  One of those apple muffins worked it's charm on me.  It also kept me up most of the night.

Next up ... did anyone see those meteors flying around???




10 comments:

  1. Nancy, you need to see an orthopedic doctor and have a MRI to see what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that Cheryl. They are hard to find around here.

      Delete
  2. I agree get to an orthopedic dr, you never know what could be going on.
    Rest that back kiddo!
    Muffins look awesome.
    Think I'm going to Costco and get some.
    Frances:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious Frances ... if you like apple, you will like these.

      Delete
  3. Having a bad back is no fun at all. It affects your mood and your give a damn about things in general. I think I pulled some ribs like you did the other week. Hurts every time I twist in bed causing me to groan and wake up Barb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OUCH!! That's it Jim. It does get better but it's a slow process.

      Delete
  4. At Sam's Club you need to know WHEN the chickens will be out. Here it is between noon and 12:30...get there after 1:00 and you may not get a chicken. Next batch will be around 3:00-3:30 which is the last batch. So I head over there at noon, and have always got a chicken. It provides us dinner for three days, that is six meals for $4.98...not bad at all. Of course it was much easier to buy a pork loin when it was around $17 instead of the $35 it costs now! And I will still get a package of steaks, we split one about once a month...use to be we would have one every 10 days or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever been in Costco here and not seen a slew of chickens on the rack. When I go at 9:00, they are fresh out of the oven. LOVE IT!!

      Delete
  5. Mr. Ed’s said that For $65 a year Why not do online shopping at Costco you tx it in… They’ll give you a time you meet there they put it in your car. and off u you go no getting out and dealing with the riffraff it also works at Walmart let them do the work And seeing as you’re a Costco member, you can get gas cheaper wow 5.99 $. For me 3.22 $ at Sam’s Club today
    Is there a Sam’s Club or a BJ’s wholesale? Their memberships are 15$ / 20$ Respectively At least those memberships fees don’t feel as bad if you ever spent $147 The key is how much is the meat per pound? Remember you’re buying bulk there not one piece If you’re buying Philly, you’re looking at 8.99$ to 15.99$. But it’s 22.99 At Costco here …. So depending on where you go that’s the reason why I said find yourself a Mexican grocery store. Your prices will be a lot lower. As a gringos, remember we love to spend our money Do you have any idea how far a Mexican can stretchhhhh 💸 a dollar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't checked into online Costco shopping. I'll give it a look. No Sams Club around here, but there are EIGHT Dollar Trees within walking distance!! LOL. I've tried two carnicerias here, but haven't found a good one yet.

      Delete